GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good old pothole season in PA has brought up an annoying issue on my '16. For the past 2 weeks or so, once or twice a day, I will hit a bump/pothole at speed on the highway and get the chime and "charge door open" warning on my dashboard. I've had it since new and have 51K miles on it, so its definitely a new issue. I obviously avoid the craters, but you can only dodge so much.....especially in PA. Sometimes just a rough expansion joint will do it. Anyone else had this happen, or know if there is an adjustment point I can check out? I looked at the charge door for a minute yesterday, but haven't had time to really investigate.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Somewhere on these forums are a number of threads concerning the install of charge door LED lights. There are a number of photos of the cable harness for that light, which I believe also does the warning for the door. I would suggest getting at that harness and reseating the two ends of the electrical connectors and see if that helps?

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
On my '13, the door would actually pop open. When driving on a highway with few exits this was a royal pain. The dealer couldn't do anything to fix it or the 'bump' in the center of the steering, so, I traded it for an ELR.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked it out tonight. The long plastic spear looking thing on the charger door goes into the cavity on the body housing and pushes on a little metal tab of a micro switch. Its a bad design, but should be pretty easily remedied. I stuck a dental pick in there and bent the metal tab of the switch just a smidge so it would activate the switch sooner and hopefully hold it closed better. So, its either that, or the micro switch itself is not being held properly on the back side of the housing, allowing it to move when I hit a bump. I'll know quickly, as it did it to me again this afternoon on my way home when I hit an expansion joint at 70mph.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Somewhere on these forums are a number of threads concerning the install of charge door LED lights. There are a number of photos of the cable harness for that light, which I believe also does the warning for the door. I would suggest getting at that harness and reseating the two ends of the electrical connectors and see if that helps?
No, they are separate harnesses. The add on illuminated charger port kit harness only supplies power to the LED ring itself. The door open/close switch harness is not disturbed during the installation of it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Little update.....whatever holds the micro switch in the bezel is broken. Bending the tab worked while sitting in the driveway, but on the next drive it immediately happened again after the first bump. I investigated further when I got home. With the door closed, I could put pressure on the closed door (without pushing hard enough to pop it back open) and hear the micro switch click. Release pressure, and hear it click again. So I shined a flash light in the cavity, and with my trust dental pick I could easily move the body of the micro switch forward/backward/up/down. Without the body of the switch being retained properly, there is no hope of it ever working properly again. It looks like the only way to access it is by pulling the inner fender cover. I might swing by the dealer this weekend and have a chat. I'm technically out of warranty due to mileage, but hoping for some goodwill, as this shouldn't be broken on a car that is less than 2 years old.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got around to fixing this over the weekend. I ended up not taking it to the dealer. I assume they would have fixed it free of charge but the hassle wasn't worth the effort. I pulled the drivers side front wheel, unscrewed the inner fender liner, and managed to pop the whole charger port assembly out of the fender from the inside. There are just 3-4 plastic nubs that hold it in place. Pressing them down and giving it a little pressure from behind removed it easily. Long story short, nothing was broken. There is a little plastic finger that holds the switch in place. The switch had popped out of its location and was just hanging there. I slid the switch body back into the cavity, and slid it into place. Once seated, the plastic finger snapped around the back of the switch body and is now holding it in place again. Hopefully it holds this time, as the pot hole situation isn't likely to get any better here in PA. If not, I'll go back and shoot a little squirt of RTV in there to hold it next time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts