GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have their charge door sticking?

It sometimes opens with one push of the release button. Most of the time I have to open the door, push the button repeatedly while pushing on the front/hinge side of the door.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
No, no problem opening...just have had a few instances where it opens on it's own? Either I forget to close it, hit the button on the fob in my pocket, or it just opens on it own while driving down the road. I'm pretty sure the one about driving down the road is on it's own because I don't think you can open it with the door release or the fob while the car is in motion. I think there is a customer satisfaction fix for it.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Mine stuck last year and then I treated the release pin with some silicone lubricant spray and it has been good ever since.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I actually have a service apt for this tomorrow. I have to pull it open by getting my fingernail behind it while pressing the release button. It looks like it may be slightly misaligned, but it did not start sticking until about a month ago.

·
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please post the outcome of the appointment. I dread going to any dealership for anything.

My 2012 Express - I bought as certified used vehicle, free oil changes for 2 years. Tell me, all you DIY people, have you ever screwed up an oil change? I haven't. But I figured WTH - Its free, I have some time to kill. Yup, dealer screwed up my oil change. Filter wasnt put on right, leaking oil - bad. Had to scramble to get it into another dealer to fix it again.

I FEAR TAKING MY VOLT IN FOR SERVICE!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I had it replaced today, it got stuck once during the heat wave. The plastic parts on the inside door and the pin appears to get replaced with something that looks the same but they said it's slightly different..... I'll guess that the next gen Volt will have a normal manual push to open charge door...

MrEnergyCzar

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I recall threads about sticking charge doors last summer too. Never had the problem myself, but some people reported success by simply lubricating the latch mechanism with a dry silicone spray lube. Firearms also benefit from the non-greasy, non-dust-collecting dry lube so you can find such products at your local sporting goods dealer.

·
Registered
72 Posts

It sometimes opens with one push of the release button. Most of the time I have to open the door, push the button repeatedly while pushing on the front/hinge side of the door.
This is exactly the problem i had...twice. I had to get the charge door replaced both times. It's only a $40 part that is covered by the warranty but it takes them like 90 minutes to switch out. Oh, and they had to order the part for me each time although it was overnighted.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I'll guess that the next gen Volt will have a normal manual push to open charge door...

MrEnergyCzar
Don't have to wait for the next gen Volt. The 2014 Volt will have push to open door.

Mine does stick a little every now and again. I did have an issue last winter where the actuator for the release pin failed and my door would not open at all.

·
Registered
191 Posts
A little white petroleum jelly

I live in a wintery climate too and it almost got stuck on my 2013 last winter. I found a nice blob of white petroleum jelly on the pin and locking mechanism helps keep it from being jammed. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
My 2013 started sticking almost since new - the problem is that it causes a CEL (Check Engine Light) to come on.

Rather than get upset over it, I just read this forum and found it is a very common problem. Seems 3 start-ups and drives clears the CEL until the next time it sticks. So I decided to not waste my time going to the dealer. After a few months (driving with the CEL on), when by accident I was right by the dealer I stopped in (without an appointment) - they lubed it and that fixed the problem quickly with no paperwork or work orders!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Save a trip to the dealer -- apply some lube spray every few months. It really does work.

That said, my charge plug release latch has seized a couple of times and I had to disassemble to plug housing to remove the plug from the car outlet. I got a no-cost replacement charging unit from my local dealer last week.

Kind of ironic that the world's most technologically advanced car should be so reliable except for a couple stupidly simple latches in the charge system.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Mine stuck twice last winter. Once I unstuck it by blowing a hot hair dryer on it to thaw the frost inside. I have heard that just pushing on the door would break it free from the frost, so it would open, and I was looking forward to trying it, but it never stuck again. Maybe this winter. Yours sounds like it might be slightly misaligned, or maybe moisture inside holds it closed sometimes. It doesn't take much, because the spring that opens it isn't strong, and the latch pin only releases for a fraction of a second. You might try pushing on it to loosen things up before opening it when it sticks. The door will move a tiny bit, because the seal inside is rubber.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
My solution is a white wax suspended in alcohol used for bicycle chain lube. Sold in a plastic bottle so it obviously does not harm plastic parts. It dries as a white slick film so no grit or oily stain issues. On a micro scale a coating of spherical particles. Any bike store has the lube...also great for sticky tumbler locks. Clean!

3,605 Posts

Afternoon TheStepChild,

Did you inform your Advisor that you are experiencing this concern?

-Ian Chevrolet EV Customer Service

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
No, no problem opening...just have had a few instances where it opens on it's own? Either I forget to close it, hit the button on the fob in my pocket, or it just opens on it own while driving down the road. I'm pretty sure the one about driving down the road is on it's own because I don't think you can open it with the door release or the fob while the car is in motion. I think there is a customer satisfaction fix for it.
I also have had the DIC report the charge port open while driving. Wasn't sure if I had left it that way and the DIC was just catching up or if it actually opened on its own. I will ask the dealer about the customer satisfaction fix you mentioned next time I pass that way.

KNS

·
Registered
165 Posts
mine also sticks for about a year now. I brought it in for service last week and some how they managed to scratch up my rim pretty bad. Looks like they dropped something on to it. Anyway, they are terrible. Door continues to stick but they got approved to replace the entire unit.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts