GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today it was freezing after it rained yesterday. The charge door would not latch. I blasted the charge port area with a hair dryer to free the latch mechanism. .....the joy of charging outside

I am considering developing a J1772 "booty" to cover the entire opening.

Possibly a slip over rubber membrane (pond liner) with strips of magnets to adhere to the body.

I'm open to ideas.....indoor charging is not an option.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Maybe something magnetic and simple like this for occaional cold-rain (chance of freeze). This or something a bit bigger to just attach to the car and act as a hood over the port. This is from an eBay auction for a magnetic vent cover.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I'd be tempted to skip charging on nights when freezing precip was expected rather than hassle with the charging door. When I lived in Alaska my experience was that hot water always seemed to work the fastest in these types of situations.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Maybe something magnetic and simple like this for occaional cold-rain (chance of freeze). This or something a bit bigger to just attach to the car and act as a hood over the port. This is from an eBay auction for a magnetic vent cover.

I am going to buy one and try that. Looks like a great idea.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
For a few bucks, it's worth a try. And flat enough to put under the rear cargo carpet to hide-away. Just needs some coloring with a Volt emblem on it.

Before we cleared out our garage, I thought I'd be charging outside as well. It's been great parking in the garage - haven't been able to for about 10 years.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Before we cleared out our garage, I thought I'd be charging outside as well. It's been great parking in the garage - haven't been able to for about 10 years.
Sounds like buying your Volt was worth every penny just to clean the junk out of your garage! :)

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
For a few bucks, it's worth a try. And flat enough to put under the rear cargo carpet to hide-away. Just needs some coloring with a Volt emblem on it.

LMAO my wife made me clear the garage, have the floors epoxied and add proper cabinets prior to the arrival of her new Volt. Side benefit when mine came it went in there too as did the 2006 Colorado. Happy wife, Happy life! :)

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Speaking of garage floors, the parents of the family who bought my mother's house this past September had put down marble tile in their garage. They are a Caddy family with a couple black very-clean Cadillacs (not sure of the model). I need to see that sometime. They had put a ton of upgrades into their house there and will do similar to the one they bought from me.

Been a year of projects for me with the Volt, large shed (holds some of the ex-garage stuff) and the solar PV system. But after the wind today, I think I should have put in a wind generator instead. Very happy with the solar pv system, I'll have to write up a little story with pictures. It hit max power output today a few times (been low 30s out and with the cold, both arrays can output to their max).

·
Registered
5 Posts
About the charge door frozen open i had the same problem.
You do the same as a frozen lock,you put methyl alcool with a syringe.
Wait a little and it works everytime.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi I am currently living in Alaska, just bought a 2012 volt, extremely impressed and pleased with the car, i sure would appreciate any info,help.tips you may have on how your car behaved in our winter months, anything i may need to be aware of?
Thank you,
Stev.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts