GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my 2016 Volt's charger cable just loves to automatically twist itself into several "braids" and it's very annoying. It has that "cord memory" where even when I un-twist it and attempt to lay it out flat, a few days later, it's back to being all twisted up again. Anyone have ideas on how to keep the cable from twisting itself to death? I'm afraid it's going to pinch up the connection and eventually fail. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
So, my 2016 Volt's charger cable just loves to automatically twist itself into several "braids" and it's very annoying. It has that "cord memory" where even when I un-twist it and attempt to lay it out flat, a few days later, it's back to being all twisted up again. Anyone have ideas on how to keep the cable from twisting itself to death? I'm afraid it's going to pinch up the connection and eventually fail. Thanks.
It's like extension cords for decades, it's about how you use it to be honest.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
It's how you use it. You have to replace it the same as you remove it from the wall. Apparently you put a twist in it every time.

My phone at work has no twists in it and has been that way for years. I always return it without adding a twist.

·
Registered
968 Posts
It's how you use it. You have to replace it the same as you remove it from the wall. Apparently you put a twist in it every time.

My phone at work has no twists in it and has been that way for years. I always return it without adding a twist.
Like he said ^^^^^

I've used my stock charger everyday at work for the last eight months and mine doesn't twist. However, I do occasionally allow the last couple feet to dangle at the end of the plug in to wall if I see a twist starting.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Check the white text label printed on the cable. It should be running straight down the cable. No twists. That's how it started.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hello..... Some cables do resist twist better than others. I had two chargers with the My2013 and both twisted alot. These had the less shiny cable. I have had the My2015 for about 4 months and there is no sign of twisting in the charger cable. The cable is a bit shiny.

If it does twist stretching it as you unkink it, helps somewhat. But once it starts twisting its hard to stop.

Some cables have the neoprene blend jackets which seem to be the best.

There is wire rope that is ant-rotating depending on how the strands are wound. Crudley similiar to elec cables. But I would think that the GM people would buy the best cable. ??

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your replies. I was thinking that I should get some kind of cord reel. Maybe that might help keep it from twisting and kinking...?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts