GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if I am doing something wrong setting it up in my 2016. I go into the settings screen and check off the box to have the alarm go off if the cord is removed, yet when I return to the vehicle after 5 minutes or longer and remove the cord there is no alarm even after waiting a minute to see if there is a delay. Is there a setting I am missing?

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Not sure if I am doing something wrong setting it up in my 2016. I go into the settings screen and check off the box to have the alarm go off if the cord is removed, yet when I return to the vehicle after 5 minutes or longer and remove the cord there is no alarm even after waiting a minute to see if there is a delay. Is there a setting I am missing?
Is the car still locked when you remove the charge cord?

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,540 Posts
Did you have the fob in your pocket when you removed the cord? Although it wouldn't make any difference on my '13, I'm wondering whether the Gen2s might be smarter and only alert if the fob is not present.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Did you have the fob in your pocket when you removed the cord? Although it wouldn't make any difference on my '13, I'm wondering whether the Gen2s might be smarter and only alert if the fob is not present.
^^^^^This. I was thinking the same thing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I left the fob in the house. I tried to open the doors to make sure that the fob was not reaching the vehicle. I removed the cord and waited but no alarm went off. I retrieved the fob opened the doors and re-checked the settings to make sure that the box was still checked which it was. Cannot understand unless there is a setting I am missing

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took it off passive arming and locked the car per the fob confirmed by the horn sounding. I then repeated my previous steps and still no alarm. Will try your suggestion and will report back

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did as was suggest. Checked off. Drove car. Then checked on, plugged in charger, waited 15 minutes, unplugged and no alarm. I am at a loss what it might be.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Perhaps it has something to do with location based charging on the Gen 2.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Was this issue ever resolved? It was a feature I didn't get a chance to test in my '17, but made sure the box was checked, tested it, and same issue -- NO ALARM despite it being set. I'm not going to make a special trip to the dealer for it, but will have them look at it next time it's in--which I hope is not too soon.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have not been able to resolve it by myself. Have not had a reason to go to the a dealer for there are no other issues. Would like to know what your issue turns out to be. Please post as will I when I do go

·
Registered
32 Posts
2017 Premier; if doors are locked and I unplug the charge cord the horn honks repeatedly. Alarm has been set to "ON" since I took delivery. If I unlock the doors first then no honking.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Was this issue ever resolved? It was a feature I didn't get a chance to test in my '17, but made sure the box was checked, tested it, and same issue -- NO ALARM despite it being set. I'm not going to make a special trip to the dealer for it, but will have them look at it next time it's in--which I hope is not too soon.
To arm the charge cord theft alert, lock the vehicle with the RKE transmitter. To disable this feature, see “Charge Cord Theft Alert” in Vehicle Personalization
pg 21
http://www.gm.ca/media/owners/manuals/2017_Chevrolet_volt_Manual_en_CA.pdf

End Charge
1. Unlock the vehicle with the RKE transmitter to disarm the charge cord theft alert.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
To arm the charge cord theft alert, lock the vehicle with the RKE transmitter.
Brilliant. I always lock the car by pushing the button on the handle instead of using the keyfob. So...unlocked the car, then locked the car WITH the keyfob, then unplugged the charger and WAMMMM BEEEP BEEEP BEEEP BEEEP !

Nice.

Good to know that you have the option to arm/disarm it simply by using/not using the keyfob.

I even read that in the manual and it didn't register that you HAD to use the keyfob to arm it. Thanks upper5!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Plug in charger Status light on dash comes on Beep sound heard Lock door with FOB Return ten minutes later with no FOB remove cable no alarm

·
Registered
8 Posts
Plug in charger Status light on dash comes on Beep sound heard Lock door with FOB Return ten minutes later with no FOB remove cable no alarm
Did you ever figure out what was wrong? I am having the same issue with my 2017 Volt. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I'm doing 240V charging with the stock charging cord.

·
Registered
8 Posts
flyingdutchman- Thank you for your reply. I am wondering if there are other Gen 2 owners who can verify for sure that they don't get the alarm to work when doing 240V charging with the stock cable and unplugging, but they do get it with 120V charging. It's not that I don't trust whoever it was that told you that 240V charging doesn't allow the alarm to work it's that, to me, it seemed more like conjecture by them than documented fact. If other Gen 2 owners have the same experience with 240V charging that puts it to rest for me. Thanks again for your quick reply.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts