GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like the subject feature to function. (2018) Went into the Energy section , hit ON and can't get it to work. Had this working on my 2012 and think its a good feature.
What I'm I doing wrong?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no its page 140 on my 2018 manual. on the DIC I hit Vehicle, than charge cord theft alert and then I hit on. It will not work.

·
Registered
420 Posts
You are doing the first part correct but then you need to get out of the car and lock it with the fob and it should then arm.
Have you tried that?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Doors lock set to automatic lock when door is shut, just like my 2012 volt. I did what you suggested, using the fob to lock, and still N.G.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Doors lock set to automatic lock when door is shut, just like my 2012 volt. I did what you suggested, using the fob to lock, and still N.G.
I had the same issue -- mine wouldn't set using the "buttons" on the door to lock the car (my normal routine). At first, I didn't realize you HAD to use the FOB to arm it (unlike my 2013).

Setting it with the FOB resulted in the alarm working. As a test, at least shut off the automatic door locks, then use the FOB, to make sure that's not the culprit. Also, it took mine what felt like 30 seconds (probably less, but felt long) for the alarm to actually go off--maybe it's purposely on a delay to allow for someone to unlock the vehicle after removing the charge cord and not set off the alarm right away.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Yeah you've definitely done enough self-diagnosis here. Dealer time, unfortunately.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The Volt was purchased from Huntington Chevy, I met the mechanic there , he works on Volts and Vettes. Seems to know his stuff,but still have to drop it off and wait. I also have use Arnold Chevy and Roberts chevy, again good vette and Volt mechanics--but I still have to drop it off (did I say that previously) . All these dealers are on L.I. N.Y.
I had 3 free oil changes on my Z51 vette ( 10 qt.dry sump system) , I did it myself. The Volt gets 2 free oil , I intend to do it myself. You can guess why. I guess I' m just anal!
I do go to dealers for recalls and updates, no choice.
I was not born a cynic, people and dealerships made me this way!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
While you're there, definitely have them test to make sure the vehicle's theft alarm (for it being STOLEN) is also working. I would be concerned that if the charge cord isn't working, the whole system might be busted.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
While you're there, definitely have them test to make sure the vehicle's theft alarm (for it being STOLEN) is also working. I would be concerned that if the charge cord isn't working, the whole system might be busted.[/QUot

I thought of that also.
I checked the manual for a fuse related to the alarm, there are none, probably tied into some other item.
Would like to set off the base alarm to see if it functions, but have no idea to to set it off.
Any input would be appreciated.
Al

·
Registered
26 Posts
I also have a 2018 Volt, and I can confirm your problem. Unplugging the charge cord, while the car is armed, does *NOT* trigger the alarm.

I was thinking perhaps it has to do with the distance of the FOB. I haven't tested this theory. But perhaps leave the FOB far away while you unplug the charger?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just tested this on my 2018 and it works. Locked the car with the keyfob. I unplugged the charge cord without unlocking the car and the car started honking the horn and flashing the lights about 5 seconds after it was unplugged.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Mine went off once- but I do not recall the details.

But make sure the fob is some distance away when testing. Perhaps it will not go off if the fob is within ‘hearing’ distance?
(I do not have any ‘auto lock’ or unlock turned on)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't think I gave it 5 seconds after unplugging the charge cord... too impatient. I'll make sure to try that next time.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sort of an update to the alarm problem. Dealer hooked up his cord , I moved 30 feet from my Volt he opened the door and the alarm sounded almost instantly. As previously stated it will not sound in my driveway either with the 110 cord or the 220. Went across the street to a neighbors house , no alarm. Went to my sons house 15 miles away opened the door and the alarm went right off. Got to believe there is some kind of RF interference in my area. Had my 2012 Volt for 7 years and it worked all the time.
Not the most important item but would love to solve.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Sort of an update to the alarm problem. Dealer hooked up his cord , I moved 30 feet from my Volt he opened the door and the alarm sounded almost instantly. As previously stated it will not sound in my driveway either with the 110 cord or the 220. Went across the street to a neighbors house , no alarm. Went to my sons house 15 miles away opened the door and the alarm went right off. Got to believe there is some kind of RF interference in my area. Had my 2012 Volt for 7 years and it worked all the time.
Not the most important item but would love to solve.
Wait! The door alarm is completely different from the EVSE unplugged alarm. Which one are you trying to get to work? If it is the EVSE alarm, have you set your car to your "HOME" location for charging at Level 2? If you have, then this is what is telling the EVSE alarm system that you are at home and to NOT sound the alarm.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts