GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had posted a thread about a year ago https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?311170-Charge-Cord-Theft-Alert-Not-Working. I recently had to have my vehicle receive its annual state inspection and had a few issues addressed, this being one of them. It just so happens that their 2017 loaner Volt had the same issue. After a few different attempts to make the alarm function as it should as recommended by a technician in the head office, they performed the following procedure which corrected the problem: Applied dielectric grease to connectors and HPCM2 to correct cord theft. I was told there was a moisture condition inside the connectors. I also learned, and I am sure other members might not know this, but it was demonstrated to me that the alarm only functions with the 120 volt charger. It does not function with a 220 volt charger or if you use the OEM charger at 220 volts.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hmmm, on the Gen I Volt the 240V theft deterrent works very well as I found out the first time I unplugged it when the doors were locked. I guess they thought if you are charging at 120V you are charging at home and the chances of having your cord being snatched is less than the nuisance of horns in your quiet white picket fenced suburban house.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Same here, the theft deterrent horn works just fine when I'm charging at home with 240V.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
It kind of help to know HOW the car is detecting a cord theft and what setting owner or dealer are needed trun off the activation of the alarm .

do the test again on 120/240 volts but ware a sky mask

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 2016 premier. I was told that the vehicle only detects the 120v portable due to the powers to be believing it would be used as it is implied, a portable charger, unlike a 240v which is normally hard wired/charging station not easily stolen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts