GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having an intermittent issue with my 2016. I've only had it a little over a week, but I was occasionally getting an error when plugging the charge cord into the wall (with or without it plugged into the vehicle). It has done it to me a few times but I could always unplug it, wait a few secs, plug it back in, and it would usually fix itself. I charge at work also, but so far I've only had this issue at home. I don't know if that's a data point or a coincidence as I haven't had it long enough to see a pattern yet. This afternoon, I have tried at least 20 times to get it charge and all it does is sit there. The module on the cord set has a solid green and a flashing red light that flashes 5 times, pauses, and repeats. I've tried 4 different outlets/circuits with the same results. The main outlet I'm using is a good quality heavy duty one in perfect condition. The measured voltage is currently sitting at 123V.....I thought that was a little high, but that's out of my control

Anyone have any thoughts? I'm going to keep screwing with it, but will most likely call the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would try one of those circuit testers to see if the phasing is correct (the hot and neutral need to be on the correct spade). Also make sure you have a good ground.

Dave

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everything checks out fine with the outlet and wiring. I even walked over to my neighbors place and plugged it in......same result. Solid green, 5 red flashes. The owners manual points at a charge cord fault, but I'm sure those 5 flashes mean something specific.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Everything checks out fine with the outlet and wiring. I even walked over to my neighbors place and plugged it in......same result. Solid green, 5 red flashes. The owners manual points at a charge cord fault, but I'm sure those 5 flashes mean something specific.
Sounds like a defective EVSE (charge cord). Luckily it is under warranty. Return it for a new one.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Don't have a link, but, I believe 5-flashes is a GFCI fault. Since it appears to be a neighborhood issue (two houses in same neighborhood) I suspect a neutral issue at the transformer. A voltage differential between 240v legs is a symptom. A high instance of Edison (incandescent) bulb failures is another. Do house lights dim/blink as other loads go on?

Have a master electrician test. A bad neutral is dangerous as it could blow electronics in appliances and home theater/computer gear.

It could also be a super-sensitive (out of spec) circuit in the EVSE.

If you're not having other electrical issues as above examples, try replacing the EVSE first.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never could get it to charge last night. Tried again this morning right before I left for work and still the same result. I drove the 60 miles to work using gas (boooo), plugged in the charger when I got here, and everything is working correctly now.

Loboc......That very well could be something to look into. It wouldn't surprise me. We have been in the house almost 12 years, but have never had any issues where I needed an electrician to come out. The local transformer for our clump of houses on our block is planted in a hole right between my house and my neighbor's house. It is literally maybe 16 ft from my breaker panel. If something is wonky there, it would certainly effect both my house and my neighbor's place as well. The only light dimming I've ever had is the LED lighting I have in my kitchen for a split second when the compressor for our big window A/C unit kicks on. Never really had any light bulb failures. We used to have some issues with burned out bulbs in one of the bedrooms, but I rewired everything from the switch to the fixture and no more issues.

Thanks for the feedback. I really wish Chevy would list a little bit better explanation of the EVSE faults in the manual.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Here is an interesting page that explains a bad incomming neutral very well. I might give it a shot testing things out tonight. I've been wanting to have my panel replaced for years, maybe this will light the fire under my rear to finally get it done.

http://hildstrom.com/projects/neutral/index.html
Great link, Oopezoo, it hadn't occurred to me that a flakey neutral could cause those situations. One thing that would make the article even better is conventional looking wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Here is an interesting page that explains a bad incomming neutral very well. I might give it a shot testing things out tonight. I've been wanting to have my panel replaced for years, maybe this will light the fire under my rear to finally get it done.

http://hildstrom.com/projects/neutral/index.html
My panel is old as well. I need a new one. It was replaced ~1968 when a major remodel was done to my 1951 rancher.

A neutral problem could also exist in the panel itself, but, both houses having the same issue is unlikely.

The link is more of a non-electrician explanation, but, it'll do for illustration purposes.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another link with a good explanation http://www.thecircuitdetective.com/mnpn.htm

My house was built around 1980. It has 200A service, but it has a suspect electrical panel that is completely loaded. It was manufactured by a company called Federal Pacific. Long story short, they were putting UL stamps on things, but never running them through the tests. There are quite a few horror stories on the net with some gruesome cooked breakers that never tripped when they should have.

I just filled up the last 2 available slots last week installing a 240V 30A plug in the garage. The entire house is electric, along with quite a few 240V baseboard heaters. Needless to say, I need to get it out sooner rather than later. I just haven't made the call.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bit of an update.....it just started happening at work too. I plugged in this morning and it started charging fine. An hour or so into the day I checked the OnStar app and realized I forgot to set the car to charge at 12A. I walked out, set it to 12A, and came back in. All seemed ok until I checked about an hour later. Now it won't charge at all. I disconnected the EVSE from the car and unplugged/plugged it back 8-10 times. No joy. Solid green, 5 red flashes

Guess I got a bum EVSE. I actually hope thats what it is, as it is the easiest fix.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Bit of an update.....it just started happening at work too. I plugged in this morning and it started charging fine. An hour or so into the day I checked the OnStar app and realized I forgot to set the car to charge at 12A. I walked out, set it to 12A, and came back in. All seemed ok until I checked about an hour later. Now it won't charge at all. I disconnected the EVSE from the car and unplugged/plugged it back 8-10 times. No joy. Solid green, 5 red flashes

Guess I got a bum EVSE. I actually hope thats what it is, as it is the easiest fix.
Good piece of info. If it charges at 8A and the 12A setting is the issue then it is the circuit you are using is not capable of providing current continuous at that rate.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good piece of info. If it charges at 8A and the 12A setting is the issue then it is the circuit you are using is not capable of providing current continuous at that rate.

Nope....this issue is happening with the cord not even plugged into the car. This is just plugging the HVSE into the wall with the car side connection swinging in the wind.

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts
Nope....this issue is happening with the cord not even plugged into the car. This is just plugging the HVSE into the wall with the car side connection swinging in the wind.
Failed unit. Warranty replacement.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It took about a 30sec discussion with the tech and service manager at the dealership this afternoon for them to agree. They wouldn't give me one of the EVSE cords from a car on the lot, but they did order me a new on the warranty.

Then I drove home, messed around with it for 10 mins or so......after a dozen tries or so, the fault cleared and it's been charging fine all evening. Go figure. I also ran the voltage and current comparison tests listed back at the beginning of the thread and everything came out fine with my breaker panel. So no neutral or grounding issues there. Must just be a flakey EVSE

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So this morning.....the car said it was fully charged, but the EVSE had tripped out at some point at the end. Same 5 red flashes and solid green. Even though it said it was fully charged, it must have been a little short of that. It only had 48 miles on the guessometer, usually it says 50-51 and I came up a little short on my typical distance before switching to gas. I get to work and it took 5-6 tries of plugging/unplugging to get it to start. Now it is happily charging away at 12A. Stupid thing.....I hope they can get me a replacement soon, this is kind of a PITA, and its killing my lifetime MPG...haha

3,600 Posts
I've been having an intermittent issue with my 2016. I've only had it a little over a week, but I was occasionally getting an error when plugging the charge cord into the wall (with or without it plugged into the vehicle). It has done it to me a few times but I could always unplug it, wait a few secs, plug it back in, and it would usually fix itself. I charge at work also, but so far I've only had this issue at home. I don't know if that's a data point or a coincidence as I haven't had it long enough to see a pattern yet. This afternoon, I have tried at least 20 times to get it charge and all it does is sit there. The module on the cord set has a solid green and a flashing red light that flashes 5 times, pauses, and repeats. I've tried 4 different outlets/circuits with the same results. The main outlet I'm using is a good quality heavy duty one in perfect condition. The measured voltage is currently sitting at 123V.....I thought that was a little high, but that's out of my control

Anyone have any thoughts? I'm going to keep screwing with it, but will most likely call the dealer tomorrow.
Hello OoPEZoO,

The solid green followed by a flashing red indicates that the charge cord has detected a potential problem. If an unplug/re-plug doesn't help to reset and correct this error, we recommend reaching out to your selling dealership. They will be able to assist further with having your charge cord replaced.

If you'd like for me to reach out to your dealership on your behalf to make them aware of this issue, please send me a private message with your VIN, contact information, vehicle mileage and dealership name. Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you at this time!

Best,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dealership just called to tell me they have a new charge cord waiting for me at the service desk to pick up today. Hopefully this solves my issue. I will certainly follow up if it doesn't.

Thank you for the offer of help Amber

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just to close it out, I exchanged my charge cord at the dealer for a new one last Friday and everything has been charging perfectly since then. Problem solved....glad it was the easiest solution.

·
Registered
56 Posts
This last week I've been having the same intermittent problem (5 red flashes) with the original factory cord on my 2017. Eventually it starts charging after plugging and unplugging. I've had it since March 2016. I guess I'll print this forum thread and go to the dealer since this doesn't seem to be a common problem. I charge my car outside and drop the unit on pretty hard grass/dirt between the house and car. I wonder if dropping it on the ground could hurt it over time?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts