GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I buy a Volt I will need to park it in my driveway for charging (I only have a single vehicle garage and there's already a vehicle parked inside). This means the charge cord will be exposed to rain and snow. I'm not concerned about the charge cord being damaged, I've read it's very durable and those who do outside charging have had no issues.

My question revolves around keeping it, or more specifically, me clean after inclement (rain and snow) weather. Scenario I'm envisioning is the car is plugged in during inclement weather, I need to go somewhere so I have to unplug it, and go. Without gloves my hands may be dirty / wet as a result. I've thought about keeping a towel nearby to clean my hands. Or perhaps an old pair of gloves.

Is this a real issue or am I just overthinking this?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002X78VFY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't know that this directly answers your question, but I use the above product on my outdoor outlet and merely keep it locked with the cord plugged in and wrap up the other end nearby while I'm away. It keeps the receptacle and standard 3-prong plug clean and dry. If I'm taking a long trip, I disconnect it and bring it with me. It reduces wear on the connector from constant plugging/unplugging, reduces risk of theft, and so far just seems to work. You're also only unplugging the car-end, so none of the stuff on the ground will hit your hand -- really just water.

Knowing that you're in Colorado, you might want to just refrain from charging if you know you're going to get 3+ feet of snow in a short period of time. It might be totally fine but I don't want to give you bad advice and inadvertently fry your car.

You won't really need any gloves when unplugging the J1772 connector (pistol grip connector on the car side), as it's totally plastic and well protected from elements.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Um... I charge outside and don't have any issues getting dirty from the J1772. Of course we don't have sand storms or anything like that. If my hand is wet after a storm, I shake it off or wipe it on my jeans and go about my day. It's just water; It'd get on you from the door handle if the plug is wet. That's really overthinking it.

My only complaint is the 2 seconds it takes to unplug can leave you soaked to the bone in a torrential downpour without an umbrella. But then I think about not having to stop for gas for another 3 months and forget about it.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
You can wear gloves in winter same as when clearing snow and ice from your vehicle. The EVSE housing (the electronics unit) is factory sealed and is all weather rated, the same goes for the charging cord and the J1772 connector. The short power cord ending in a molded NEMA 5-15 plug is not all weather rated so it needs to be kept off of the ground and dry. There are various housings you can buy or make one yourself. Some Volt owners can reach the Volt's charging port with the charging cable while the EVSE is plugged in inside the garage.

Snow and ice can accumulate around the open charging port, prevent you from closing the port cover after charging. You can fashion a protective cover or sleeve that will keep snow and ice out of the area around the charging port or buy one specifically made for this purpose. When you finish charging you will want to wind up the charging cord, place it out of harms way inside the garage. If you plan to leave the charging cord outdoors you should not leave the J1772 connector on the ground, you can get a wall mounted J1772 holder to keep the charging connector dry.

These EVSE are not at all ruggedized, not sure where you got the impression the EVSE can handle abuse. Ice, snow and rain are no problem but the J1772 connector is plastic and it can be damaged if dropped. The charging cord can be damaged if run over by a vehicle, snow blower or lawn equipment. Just saying.

·
1,027 Posts
The EVSE are sealed unless you open them up. They are "rain" proof. I don't think I'd submerge it, but I think it could handle it.

The handle WILL fill up with water if you leave the side with the screw holes face up in the rain. A few vigorous shakes will empty it out. Mine been out, getting drowned for the better part of 4 years and worked fine.

You don't need to worry about getting shocked or anything more than getting wet. ( provided your electrical outlet is sound )
The whole purpose of the EVSE and handle is to only charge when safe and to stop it when disconnected.

I simply unplug mine and pick up the cord in loops and toss it in my trunk ( ELR ).

I have 2 brand new EVSE I picked up as spares and I've never ever even opened them but once to test. I have a 60 amp 15kw+ L2 at home and that has also been rock solid for 4+ years.

The only think to let me down has been the dealers and service. Every time I've had a problem my chevy dealer made it so so much worse. I'd have kept my Volt if they had a ounce of care. I never got updates, my car was trashed and it often never got fixed, or was worse.

The Cadillac dealer for the ELR however is above and beyond.

·
Registered
945 Posts
am I just overthinking this?
Yes.

I do notice that my hands get a little dirty if the cord is wet when I corral the cord to where it belongs. So, yeah, keep a rag in your car to wipe your hands. I must say, dealing with this "problem" is far superior to fighting for a spot at the gas station, getting gasoline all over my hands, trying to find the key to the washroom, and then returning to find a line of cars behind me, their drivers fuming at me for taking so long to move my car away from the pump.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
mine has been in a open air -flat tin roof - for years - I keep the charger plug stored facing down on a hook -

The main unit is right under the tin roof out of direct rain/snow.

When over 100 DEG F - I use delayed charging to start after 8PM as the roof is hot and the car is in evening sunlight.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I charge mine outside on the Level 2 charger and it pretty much rains every day here lately. I am still alive, lol. Most public level 2 chargers here are outside uncovered as well. If electrocution was a worry trust me, they wouldn't be outside and there would be multiple warnings. Nobody wants a law suit, trust me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. To clarify I am not concerned with weather damage or electrocution but rather getting my hands dirty. This may seem like a trivial thing but right now I'm used to just getting in the car and going. If my hands were to get dirty (due to being outside in the weather) each time I have to unplug the car it might get old having to wipe my hands down each time I go to drive it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
you are over thinking it. I have had my Volt for almost 2 years now. At home, I have a L2 charger that is inside, but the cord runs out under the garage door and gets plugged into the car outside. When not in use, I have a holster mounted on the outside next to the garage door. Its been like that since I installed it 2 years ago. My portable charger gets used every week day at work. The only thing special I do, is I make sure to wrap the excess cord up so it doesn't lay on the ground. It has stayed remarkably clean. I expected it to collect dirt and get grimy over time, but it really hasn't. When it rains, I just give it a quick shake to knock off the excess water and toss it in the trunk.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Is this a real issue or am I just overthinking this?
You're overthinking it. I park outside and mounted a holster (https://www.amazon.com/AmazingE-Cha...pID=41jtGrOEVBL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch) and a cheapo hose mount (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Suncast-150-ft-Hose-Hangout-CPLHH15000/100121089 for an example) to the building next to the garage door. This keeps my EVSE off the ground and the vehicle end protected when not in use. The biggest issue I've had has been ice build up on the charge port door/cover.

I do have a pair of touch capacitive gloves for driving in the cold - my hands get cold even with the heated steering wheel. These gloves allow me to operate the touch screen with them on.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. To clarify I am not concerned with weather damage or electrocution but rather getting my hands dirty. This may seem like a trivial thing but right now I'm used to just getting in the car and going. If my hands were to get dirty (due to being outside in the weather) each time I have to unplug the car it might get old having to wipe my hands down each time I go to drive it.
LMAO, well so long as you're not grabbing the cord itself off the ground I think your hands will be fine...

·
1,027 Posts
Buy some baby wipes and keep them in the door for your delicate hands :p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When I charge the Volt at work, the runoff from the sprinkler system always drains over to the Volt and my cable was wet and dirty when trying to roll it up. So I started draping the cable over the rear tire so that the cable was suspended above the pavement a few inches. Problem solved.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts