GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my Volt set to notify me when it is done charging or interrupted, worked great for the first 7 weeks I owned the car. However it stopped sending the charge complete notifications. I still get interrupt notices, and have tried resetting the notification settings. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
These notifications are usually brought to you by OnStar. There has been a lot of discussion about their notification system, or typically "lack thereof". You're experiencing some of the same issues many other members here have experienced. Usually however the notifications are usually just non-existent, where you are receiving interruption notices. I would however still blame it on the OnStar system since it seems to be an ongoing problem with reliable charge status notifications.

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
664 Posts
My notifications stopped around Nov/17, haven’t had one since then. Does this sound typical for other users?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I have no paid Onstar subscription, and I still get notifications. Check your app to make sure it's still setup right. Regardless, sometimes I'll go 2 or 3 days with no "charge complete" notifications, and then it will start back up again.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
things to check:

one difference between charge complete notifications and interrupt notices is generally how many times a day they happen.

Why mine may have worked very well for 6 + years

1. In a large city with good Sprint coverage
2. park in an open car port - good radio coverage and NO shorty or loose antenna
3. Apple phones versions 4 to X
4. I don't keep changing the setting in the app - text only not email
5. At the top of the onstar VIN scan data base list --haha

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For what its worth, I am still in my free onstar trial, so that shouldnt be the issue, as for buildings, covers, etc, I am parking in the same spots I have for the last 2.5 months, and it only stopped sending the complete messages about 2 weeks ago.

I did try resetting it with the app, no luck.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My charging notifications have worked flawlessly since May 9th when I bought the Volt. Also checking vehicle status with the MyChevrolet app always seems to work. They gave me a 5 year free sub to the basic plan when I pushed the OnStar button the first time.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have no paid Onstar subscription, and I still get notifications. Check your app to make sure it's still setup right. Regardless, sometimes I'll go 2 or 3 days with no "charge complete" notifications, and then it will start back up again.
Same here.

My assumption has been that OnStar is not fault tolerant for this type of notification. If the car phones home to send the message and can't connect, maybe it isn't re-trying? Either way, it's very disappointing. I'm glad I don't pay for this service. (This is just another reason why I would not. If I can't trust it to tell me when my car is charged, how could I trust it to tell me when my car is about to blow up?)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Mine have been erratic at times. The best laugh I get is when it finishes charging (charges overnight) and the following day I go somewhere, and usually about the time I get to my destination is when I'll get the "charge complete" text and email. Of course by then the charge has been used some but always find it funny when it does that. There was a period of a couple months around Nov/Dec that I didn't get any notification texts and then suddenly they worked again. For what it's worth I'm just on the free onstar plan that one gets after the trial period ends.

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
The last few times I completed charging of my 2017 Volt I did not receive any OnStar Text Message notification. I currently find I am charging my Volt only 2-3 times per week as most days my driving totals less than 10 miles per day. I have seen the text message notification stop working from time to time, then resume working.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Mine stopped too. Yet again. Welcome to OnStar.

Time to open ANOTHER case. They'll fix it--eventually. Could be months.

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
I forgot to mention that even though the charge completion notification has recently stopped working for my 2017 Volt (I have an active OnStar plan) the charge interruption message is still working without any incident.

3,605 Posts
I have my Volt set to notify me when it is done charging or interrupted, worked great for the first 7 weeks I owned the car. However it stopped sending the charge complete notifications. I still get interrupt notices, and have tried resetting the notification settings. Any ideas?
Hi Blue18Adam!

Our first recommendation would be to uninstall/reinstall the app. This just ensures you're using the most updated version of the app. If you're still having notification issues after that, could you shoot an email over to our team at [email protected]? We can have one of our OnStar Advisors take a look at things further from that point! Be sure to include your OnStar account number, or the VIN for your Volt, within that email.

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

To review our privacy policy, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi Blue18Adam!

Our first recommendation would be to uninstall/reinstall the app. This just ensures you're using the most updated version of the app. If you're still having notification issues after that, could you shoot an email over to our team at [email protected]? We can have one of our OnStar Advisors take a look at things further from that point! Be sure to include your OnStar account number, or the VIN for your Volt, within that email.

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

To review our privacy policy, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.
Reload the app? What's the app got to do with receiving TEXT notifications from Onstar?

My notifications worked great for the first couple months of owning the car and haven't worked since approx 3/2018

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Reload the app? What's the app got to do with receiving TEXT notifications from Onstar?
I had the same reaction when OnStar told me to do this when mine stopped working a few months ago. Don't you know -- it actually worked, to my surprise. However, I did some extra steps -- I turned OFF the alerts from inside the app, signed out, deleted the app, then re-downloaded it, signed back in, turned the alerts back on. I'll try it again and see if it does the trick this time.

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
664 Posts
I got a charge complete text yesterday, first time since last October. I did go to Onstar a month or so ago about this issue and they opened a case file for it. All the delete the app/ re install settings type actions did not help.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
I got a charge complete text yesterday, first time since last October. I did go to Onstar a month or so ago about this issue and they opened a case file for it. All the delete the app/ re install settings type actions did not help.
The app doesn't send the text message. The OnStar servers do. Fussing with the app is probably a waste of time.

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
The app doesn't send the text message. The OnStar servers do. Fussing with the app is probably a waste of time.
About a month ago I found that OnStar notifications for charging interrupted and charging completed stopped working. When I checked the MyChevrolet App it appeared that my notification settings got wiped and reset to Off. I had to re-enter my cell phone number and email on the my-volt.com website. Then notifications started working again and then some as I started receiving both text and email notification when charging was complete. I had to go back into my profile on the my-volt.com website and remove my email from the notifications preferences screen. Now I only receive a text message when charging has been completed or interrupted, as before my settings got wiped.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
I uninstalled the app when it stopped giving me current charge status claiming I needed to upgrade my plan, even though the my.chevrolet.com sites shows me this information. Getting charge complete SMS notifications is hit or miss, more recently it's been "miss" or several hours delayed.

This is not an App issue.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
This is not an App issue.
The OnStar system just has too many bugs. I had to resolve one issue by actually deleting my entire account and having OnStar create a brand new account for me. Made no sense. Clearly, they need some better developers on the team or need to fire whatever company is supposedly doing it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts