GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I were already planning our purchase in 2010 based off of the concept car. After seeing the production model my opinion is that it looks like every other economy car out there. Thanks to GM and the radical design change I just saved 40k.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My wife and I were already planning our purchase in 2010 based off of the concept car. After seeing the production model my opinion is that it looks like every other economy car out there. Thanks to GM and the radical design change I just saved 40k.

Thats your priviledge. So I guess that means we wont be seeing you here again. Dont let the door hit you in the a**.

Wonder how many of these self proclaimed "new Volt" haters are actually Prius lovers just here to slam a nice looking electric car?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I can't imagine someone registering on this website for the sole purpose of posting their dislike of the production Volt's styling - to the point of refusing to buy the car. So much for their "green" cred. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Beautiful Design

Actually, this is a beautiful design. Muscular and aggressive, yet elegant and well-proportioned. Sorry, but when a sophisticated car like this...exciting as it is for GM, the environment and US industry...emerges and someone trashes the look or "changes one's mind," it reflects unfavorable on the blogger, not on the car.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry I'm in the same boat. I have an 86 mile round trip commute and was getting ready to have the finances ready for the new Volt when it came out. I've held out buying a Prius or any import commuter because of my loyalty to GM. Then they produce something that doesn't look anything like the concept. Sorry but 40K can buy a lot of car and I was willing to spend the extra over a Prius or VW for the great looks of the concept. Forget it and everyone has a right to their opinion. GM needs to produce the concept car as maybe a Volt GT or something to win me back.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sorry I'm in the same boat. I have an 86 mile round trip commute and was getting ready to have the finances ready for the new Volt when it came out. I've held out buying a Prius or any import commuter because of my loyalty to GM. Then they produce something that doesn't look anything like the concept. Sorry but 40K can buy a lot of car and I was willing to spend the extra over a Prius or VW for the great looks of the concept. Forget it and everyone has a right to their opinion. GM needs to produce the concept car as maybe a Volt GT or something to win me back.
Your namesake Alfred P. would be shocked that you'd consider a non-GM alternative to the Volt! ;)

I wouldn't bet a mortgage payment on that $40k price. That's Lutz running off at the mouth as he often does, like when he said we don't need no stinking hybrids. In this size class, branded as a Chevy, GM can't make a case for pricing the Volt at $40k and I think they're gambling on a "better than expected" factor when they bring the car in somewhere in the lower half of the 30s, which will be especially competitive if the rumored tax incentives for high-electrical-storage hybrids comes to pass.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the courteous reply. I noticed a lot of bashing on similar dislike threads and appreciate it. Perhaps GM can build the concept look as say a 2 door version. Like the old days, a four door Impala for example and a 2 door SS. The hard part is already done as far as the powertrain, so why not have both options. Thanks and good luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
so why not have both options. Thanks and good luck.
Simple. Because GM has rolled the dice on one already, they dont want to roll the dice on 2 at the same time. But hang on kids...if this thing proves successful, they may add that radical looking car you seem to want. Short windows, 24" wheels, big bulky front end like the Dodge pickup, Maybe they can call it the Volt Pimpster SS.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes I guess GM won't really care if it's the Pimpster SS as you call it as long as they sell them. Same problem they have with Cadillacs, different types of buyers. I've been buying and driving GM cars for 25 years and watched the "Saving GM" documentary with very high hopes for GM when I saw the Volt. Years ago GM had both, the best powertrains and subjectively some of the best looking cars out there. Obviously they still have the talent since someone in that Company designed the concept Volt's looks. I'm sure that designer is as disappointed as I am except they can't say anything if they want to keep their job. So hopefully GM will listen to outside opinions. If they want to beat out Toyota, they have to beat them at everything including exterior design which they did with the concept Volt's good looks. Just my .02

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yes I guess GM won't really care if it's the Pimpster SS as you call it as long as they sell them. Same problem they have with Cadillacs, different types of buyers. I've been buying and driving GM cars for 25 years and watched the "Saving GM" documentary with very high hopes for GM when I saw the Volt. Years ago GM had both, the best powertrains and subjectively some of the best looking cars out there.
Sloan, it is difficult to have a reasonable conversation with some here. They would rather name call and use exaggerations to make a point. I completely understand your points. I too am a lifelong GM buyer and driver and currently own four. If car making was solely a design contest, GM would be the champion. They have always built some of the best looking cars out there.

I agree that if GM doen't offer up some other EREV vehicles ASAP, then GM will fail. The Volt as it is configured will sell fine for the first few years. But the competitors will offer their own EREV's soon and likely be better styled. The current Volt, although acceptable, is still rather dull. Of course some here don't care about GM in the least and don't care who they support, as long as they get what they want.

I want GM to succeed. I want E-Flex to succeed. GM needs to address the full range of market segments to imbed the idea in the publics' brains that you do not have to compromise to drive electric. We need a small SUV, a sportier car (maybe Pontiac), a minivan type car, maybe even a 2 seater sports car. Maybe even a real small compact car. We need options.

EV51 has it wrong. GM better roll the dice on several at once or else we will look back on the Volt in the future as the noble, but extinct, trailblazer.

·
Registered
462 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too am a lifelong GM buyer and driver and currently own four. The current Volt, although acceptable, is still rather dull. I want GM to succeed.
Sorry, but I have to differ with you. The current Volt is actually VERY handsome, much more so than the Prius. I'm picky, too. My daily driver's a BMW 335xi, and frankly I think BMW botched the design of this car. Too many disconnected parts and sort of gangly. Not so with the Volt. I don't understand how a GM fan who wants GM to succeed can be so blase about the car...really, I don't get it. Typical for the internet, a horde of angry, nasty people descended to immediately attack something fresh, innovative and new, and the people who ought to support the car kick their feet in the sand and say aw, shucks, I guess you're right.

I'm going to fight the naysayers. No one has ever built a car like this. Not Toyota, not BMW...no one. I'm going to buy it for the reasons I cited on another thread, and if anyone wants to pay up big at the pump (and commodity prices are rising sharply again as a consequence of the Fed's Wall Street bailout) by driving another make of car, I'll be glad to wave to them as I head to the bank to cash another paycheck. :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
I don't understand how a GM fan who wants GM to succeed can be so blase about the car...really, I don't get it. Typical for the internet, a horde of angry, nasty people descended to immediately attack something fresh, innovative and new, and the people who ought to support the car kick their feet in the sand and say aw, shucks, I guess you're right.
Well, I have invested large amounts of time researching this car, reading about this car, going to New York to see the concept in person, talking to the engineers and Lutz for that matter. Not to mention discussing issues with people on this forum for about a year. You are right, no one has ever built a car like this. It is the first of its kind. It should be commended and deserves all the accolades it gets. But there will be competitors on GM's tail very soon. And they should not be underestimated. The noise from uninformed attacks is irrelevant. No one influences my opinions. Except maybe my wife. :)

The Volt may be fine. I have not seen the production car in person, and niether have you. The car may make a different impression in person than in photos. Many cars do. The point is it will have direct competition very soon. We have not seen those designs or how they will blend the technology with style. They may be butt-ugly. But they may be very appealing. The Volt is simply acceptable to me at this point. To use a golf analogy, they teed it up first and hit it on the green, but not necessarily close to the hole (the hole being some ideal that would insure EREV domination across market segments for decades, impossible to clearly define). Problem is there are some really good golfers coming up next, Toyota, Mazda, Nissan, etc.

GM left them an opening. They set the bar too low, IMO. There are MANY thoughtful people who are tepid about this car's styling and the tradeoffs considered. I have to say that although I liked the concept a great deal, it had some design features that I didn't like as well. I am not a "concept lover". I am a car enthusiast that thinks car styling does not have to be sacrificed for function. It is a give and take. That was not the case for the Volt, the function was paramount, unyielding demand for 40 mpc. The styling suffered. It is obvious.

The question is will this Volts styling sell at $35-$40K in 2012? What about 2014 when other makers have their own EREV's available? It is an integral question for GM and I think they still have a lot of work to do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Problem is there are some really good golfers coming up next, Toyota, Mazda, Nissan, etc.

GM left them an opening. They set the bar too low, IMO. There are MANY thoughtful people who are tepid about this car's styling and the tradeoffs considered.
The question is will this Volts styling sell at $35-$40K in 2012? What about 2014 when other makers have their own EREV's available? It is an integral question for GM and I think they still have a lot of work to do.
I am really interested in seeing what makers like Toyota and Nissan will come up with. My wife has a new Nissan Maxima, her second. My son in law has a new Infiniti M45. The engineering and overall quality of these vehicles is breathtaking, far beyond anything the Big Three has ever produced. It is indeed fascinating to contemplate what those engineers could come up with, if unleashed.

The styling is really pretty nice, if you look at the latest production photos. The 18 inch wheels really save it. People also need to remember that the design has to appeal to a broad base, not just 19 year olds who want a toy. Not everybody wants to drive a Batmobile.

Hopefully they'll get the price down quickly. $30K - $40K is out of the average person's price range. One caveat, however, is that the gas savings, especially for commuters, more than compensates for the higher payment. If you live in a suburb with a 30-mile commute each way, you're going to save several hundred dollars a month on gasoline.

Still, I would LOVE to see GM really get this price down LOW, and sell a gazillion of these things. By the time the recently approved offshore oil wells are producing gas at the pump, we wouldn't even need it any more, and could basically tell OPEC to go jump in the lake.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thats your priviledge. So I guess that means we wont be seeing you here again. Dont let the door hit you in the a**.

Wonder how many of these self proclaimed "new Volt" haters are actually Prius lovers just here to slam a nice looking electric car?
I hate the Prius... and the new Volt as well.

Stop being rude to people while you're at it, if that within your being.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Osmigo:

Okay, I mean to be even-handed about this but forgive me if it has an edge. You start off talking about the impressive qualities of a $30k Nissan and a $50k Infiniti and then are concerned that $30k it too much for an average person to pay for a car? I do agree that $40k is a project-killing price for the Volt, I think it has to be low $30k range BEFORE tax rebates and such or it just won't sell, but if you're thinking of what Nissan might produce as an affordable plug-in hybrid and basing that on the qualities of a $50k Infiniti you may either be disappointed by the eventual Nissan PHEV or find it to be too expensive.

If you think the M45 is "far beyond anything the Big Three has ever produced" I don't think you've been anywhere near a Cadillac CTS. The direct-injection version costs $8k less than an M35 and produces almost as much horsepower and torque as the M45, in a slightly lighter car that's almost the same size (the CTS is a tiny bit smaller than an M, the STS is a bit larger.) So, the CTS is about $15k less than an M45, $8k less than an M35, and is an engineering accomplishment of at least the same level. I think Infinitis are fine cars (though I'd go for a G before an M) but I think GM is producing some fine cars as well these days. It's not 1990 anymore.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I like the final version. It is clean and not over the top. This is a mass market they are going for, and the selling point is Electric for everyone.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Prius Bashing

Whoa! WTF kind of slam is that?
I'm a Prius lover who's very much like most other Prius fans I know...we want a better car. We want GM to succeed with the Volt. We want more and more cars like the Volt.

If GM builds a better car I'll buy it. I'm #13 on the wait list and have been following the development as closely as anyone. People have all sorts of reasons for choosing not to buy one car or another.

I probably won't buy a Volt for a number of reasons...
1) It won't be available in my part of the country for at least 3 years. And then, with only 60,000 available that year it could be very hard to get...so maybe 4 years before I have a reasonable chance of getting one.
2) It has only 4 seats...one short for my family of 5.
3) The price point seems like it will be a tad too high for a comparable vehicle...that is, I fully expect Toyota and others to have PHEVs available by then...maybe not of 40 mile range, but you have to pick the best.

I don't care what the car looks like, if it works, if it meets my needs, if it's affordable, I'll buy it.

It also seems to me PLENTY of people on this forum, let's call them "Volt Lovers" have made a sport of slamming the design of the Prius and have suggested they would never own one solely b/c of the looks. So why would it be so far fetched that someone would choose not to buy the Volt when it looks identical to the Camry, a Hyundai, and a number of of the mid-size sedans?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well, I have invested large amounts of time researching this car, reading about this car, going to New York to see the concept in person, talking to the engineers and Lutz for that matter. Not to mention discussing issues with people on this forum for about a year. You are right, no one has ever built a car like this. It is the first of its kind. It should be commended and deserves all the accolades it gets. But there will be competitors on GM's tail very soon. And they should not be underestimated. The noise from uninformed attacks is irrelevant. No one influences my opinions. Except maybe my wife. :)

The Volt may be fine. I have not seen the production car in person, and niether have you. The car may make a different impression in person than in photos. Many cars do. The point is it will have direct competition very soon. We have not seen those designs or how they will blend the technology with style. They may be butt-ugly. But they may be very appealing. The Volt is simply acceptable to me at this point. To use a golf analogy, they teed it up first and hit it on the green, but not necessarily close to the hole (the hole being some ideal that would insure EREV domination across market segments for decades, impossible to clearly define). Problem is there are some really good golfers coming up next, Toyota, Mazda, Nissan, etc.

GM left them an opening. They set the bar too low, IMO. There are MANY thoughtful people who are tepid about this car's styling and the tradeoffs considered. I have to say that although I liked the concept a great deal, it had some design features that I didn't like as well. I am not a "concept lover". I am a car enthusiast that thinks car styling does not have to be sacrificed for function. It is a give and take. That was not the case for the Volt, the function was paramount, unyielding demand for 40 mpc. The styling suffered. It is obvious.

Well stated, it is about trade offs and relative value. Unique and creative styling adds value. Generic styling and features does not.

The technologic side will only get them so far at their target price point...if, for instance, it doesn't have enough seats it's not worth it to me t buy it at $20k. The higher the price point, the more trade offs, the smaller the market.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts