GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone changed there map lights? Do you have to pop off the whole panel with homelink and all, or pry off the part where the light and switches are??

thanks

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
on a 2013 you just pry out the frosted panels the light shines through.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Can anyone recommend a plug and play LED bulb for the Gen 1 Volt?

·
Registered
907 Posts
yes, just pry off the clear/frosted piece. It comes somewhat straight down. It's only snapped in place. I used the 194 type LED bulbs from any AutoZone, although you can get them much cheaper if you order them.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Can anyone recommend a plug and play LED bulb for the Gen 1 Volt?
Please see my "OHM-RIDE anti-incandescent project" thread for details.

Initially I purchased and installed this kit for the interior stuff and the bulbs have all worked fine so far.

After a while I decided to change the front map lights to red so my wife could use them without killing my vision at night so the map lights got replaced again with a pair of Sylvania ZEVO red LED (194) bulbs from Auto Zone.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just an update, I couldn't for the life of me pop off just the clear part, I had to "pop down" the 2 clips of the whole assembly near the rear view mirror and top of windshield. Then I could see the whole light assembly, there are 2 slider clips I pushed in a little and the whole assembly came down. Then I could safely unhinge the clear piece to replace the bulbs.

·
Registered
907 Posts
After a while I decided to change the front map lights to red
I replaced the dome lights with red, and kept the map lights white. Ended up soldering two of the red bulbs together to get more even illumination from the front dome light. (back dome lights are separate). So 4 Red LED bulbs. I changed the map lights to White LED, so there IS enough brightness to see something, or find something, when stopped. I can't imagine using them when driving. And also can't image my wife putting up with Red to read something by :)

On another note, it appears gen2 did away with the separate bulbs for dome and map lights (at least in the front). I haven't pried one apart, but it seems that while there are still map switches, they just turn on the same dome light used for door open.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts