GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It started with "Volt". It's an okay name. It stressed the fact that the car was new and different and electric (though it isn't really electric). Anyway the Volt has been phased out and the name will disappear. Then came "Bolt". It was obviously meant to create an association with Volt. It makes you wonder because the Volt was never very successful. Why associate it with a "loser".

I never liked the name. The word itself is harsh and explosive. It's trite and contrived. It doesn't convey a modern electric vehicle. Then there is the fact that the Bolt is a quirky little car (appearance-wise). They need a quirky name for a quirky car. A quirky car with a quirky name will forever be banished to a quirky niche. The Bolt is being redesigned for 22. Now would be a good time to change the name or at least deemphasize it. Call it the Bolt Elegante (a dumb example) then next time drop the Bolt part entirely. It becomes the Elegante. They do it all the time. But instead of phasing the name out, they are expanding its use with the "Bolt EUV". They should call the Bolt EUV something else. Anyway The Bolt hasn't been that successful either.

This is just a personal gripe. Maybe there are people who like the name Bolt.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
The Electra would be perfect if it were a Buick.

Reactions: BenjaminD

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Electra might work for a Chevy (but Buick won't give it up). Call it the Bolt Electra. That retains whatever brand identification the Bolt has earned. In a couple of years drop Bolt.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
The name Bolt came from the term, lightning bolt. Ford got Lightning, GM got Bolt.

·
Registered
29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
To your point about the Bolt not selling ... it's just too funky for most people. They should import the Menlo from China instead, which I personally much prefer. They could always give it a fun classic name, like the Monza.

I also thought a Trax or Equinox with an AWD Voltec powertrain -- meaning slightly bigger gas engine & an extra electric motor on the rear axle -- would have been a better way forward. But I think the Voltec ship has sailed, unfortunately.

Then again, an all-electric Volt would be nearly the perfect car for me. Not sure how they would have integrated a much bigger battery pack without completely redesigning the car, but it would have been more attractive and more aerodynamic than the awkward Bolt. Again, I fear that ship has sailed. Leave it to GM to develop a brilliant PHEV platform and then cast it aside before its time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As I recall, there was a joke making the rounds about a sports version of the car to be called the "Jolt"! Never did happen, though.

·
Registered
489 Posts
To your point about the Bolt not selling ... it's just too funky for most people. They should import the Menlo from China instead, which I personally much prefer. They could always give it a fun classic name, like the Monza.

I also thought a Trax or Equinox with an AWD Voltec powertrain -- meaning slightly bigger gas engine & an extra electric motor on the rear axle -- would have been a better way forward. But I think the Voltec ship has sailed, unfortunately.

Then again, an all-electric Volt would be nearly the perfect car for me. Not sure how they would have integrated a much bigger battery pack without completely redesigning the car, but it would have been more attractive and more aerodynamic than the awkward Bolt. Again, I fear that ship has sailed. Leave it to GM to develop a brilliant PHEV platform and then cast it aside before its time.
They could have restyled the Bolt to make it resemble the Volt. Then again they could have just made the Volt all electric and not bother to produce something so eccentric. It's as if the brass at GM believes that frugal consumers are not concerned about good looks. This is not the case so they ended up with an abundance of unsold Bolts.
Additionally, many small town Chevy dealerships are neither equipped nor staffed to service a BEV. My local Chevy dealer has 4 chargers but only 1 of them works. They're also not planning to repair them either. The dealer has one Voltec/Electric service tech and he is overbooked for weeks. Chevy dealers are so averse to selling electric cars and have not put any effort in doing so.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Why not Ampera? They call the Bolt the Ampera-E in Europe! Or, bring back the Aurora nameplate. I always liked that one.

Reactions: BenjaminD

·
Registered
103 Posts
....It makes you wonder because the Volt was never very successful. Why associate it with a "loser".
Yeah, unsuccessful because every model sold, never having been advertised. I should fail so well. It would have been nice if GM failed the model for a few more years.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Chevrolet Fire? Pretty appropriate at this point in time.

Reactions: JuneBug

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: microVOLT
1 - 20 of 25 Posts