GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So (and I hate the annoying new affect of people starting statements with, "So".), I receieved the new issue of Chevrolet's slick and not cheap promotional magazine "New Roads", Issue 5... Chock full of articles about their new cars and youthiness. Fine.

I'm sure I'm not the first one to notice or point this out but....

There is not one... and I mean not ONE stinkin reference to the Volt anywhere between the covers!

I mean, even if it we're GM's intention to downplay, ignore, deny or otherwise sidestep the Volt's significance and excellence... wouldn't they, at least (in order to appear fair and balanced), make a token reference or two to the Volt, or have a photo with, say, a Volt in the background behind a Corvette or parked in front of a Malibu sunset, or something?! But to literally make no (zero) references, even indirectly, to one of the most important (and wonderful) automobiles in the history of automobiles? Really? REALLY?!!!!

Here is a quick count of the number of references to Chevy car models and other sigificant companies or products in the magazine. This is not a word count ... Just an approximate count of references & photos.

Cruze xxxxx
Bolt xxxxxx
Spark xxx
Sonic xxx
Trax xxxx
Tahoe xx
Camaro xxxx
Malibu xxxxxxxxx
Silverado xxx
Equinox xx
Colorado xxxxxx
Corvette xxxxxxxx
Hd tv, Shutterfly, Picasa, Flikr, SmugMug, Carbonite, Backblaze, Photoshop, HP, Apple, Facebook, Google, PayPal, LTE, MyLink, CarPlay, Android Audio, 4GLTE
VOLT?: zilch

just sayin'

ok, thanks for letting me vent

·
Registered
878 Posts
I'd cut GM some slack. The Volt has been a marketing conundrum since day one. People "get" ICE cars. People (thanks to Tesla) now "get" pure EV's. They even "get" (thanks to Toyota Prius) hybrids. But a plug-in all-electric EV/hybrid combo? That Swiss Army knife is just too much for the mainstream to grasp without cerebral explanations that take more than 30 seconds. Niche' audience and market that has to organically grow from within.

GM's corporate electrification strategy has evolved and "moved on". I don't find this insulting to the Volt. GM isn't aggressively promoting the Volt, but it is aggressively promoting the Sons-and-daughters-of-Volt. Volt DNA lives on in two of the three most-mentioned New Road vehicles - the Malibu (with Voltec hybrid option), and the Bolt EV. Now let's all be proud mamas and papas, stand back out of the limelight and admire the new generation stepping up on stage.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
They push the money makers. Not surprising. It's also consistent with GM's messaging around anything plug-in. Look at the middle finger Mary Barra gave potential Bolt EV buyers when she was asked about charging infrastructure. I'd take to Twitter and post a picture of that burning magazine :p

·
Registered
354 Posts
Just tells me that they don't make as much money (or perhaps still lose money) on every Volt they sell. It could also be they would prefer to sell them in the established EV markets so they don't have to invest and train into every dealership. Also the big automakers are really invested into ICE and to a lesser extent, the transmissions for the gas engines. The rest of the car is subcontracted. Voltec is a foray into future drivetrain technology to hedge their bets on gas mileage targets set by the government, but I have to think they would rather push internal combustion given the chance.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Depends where you are.

On the radio, I've actually heard an ad (for the first time ever) with volt in the 'top billed' spot.
"Come in now for year-end clearance and get a great deal on a 2016 cruze, spark, volt, and [one other model - sonic?]" (or similar language)
This wasn't a specific dealer, this was a generic GM corporate ad.

And speaking of specific dealers - I was at mine on Tuesday.
To my surprise, they have large 55" or so TVs in the waiting room and behind the customer service desk with looping videos of various GM products (that's not the surprising part, all waiting rooms have TVs, lol).
On it they're playing:
Corvette (highlighting the POV camera recorder) - ok, pretty much expected.
Next up, 2016 Volt 'xray' breakdown video - you've probably seen the one. Shows the battery modules, cooling fins, engine layout, transmission view, etc.
And even more surprising after that? The Bolt demo reel that has made the rounds on the internet as well. The one that shows it going through various steps ("range test.. on" and shows a guy driving it on a dyno, "hill climb test" up a hill and braking, etc) including the xray view highlighting the key components of the vehicle and what it has that is novel.

At least I know my local dealer isn't interested in pretending EVs don't exist. At least one person at the dealership loves them, or those videos would never be on loop. And they wouldn't have several photo posters of (original) volt scattered around the building.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Here is a link to the second edition and it does cover the Chevy Volt on pages 42 and 43:
http://newroads2.mynetworkcontent.com/

I saved it in my Bookmarks (I use Chrome) because it has a great article on the Chevy Malibu, and on page 31 there is a small description (Team Effort) of other engineers involved in the Malibu. The first one is a graduate from my Alma Mater (University of Puerto Rico, Mayagez).

Change the number "2" in the link for other editions.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I expected the BOLT would also be excluded based on Chevy previously avoiding mentioning the Volt in any literature. Was pleasantly surprised to see your tabulation of 6 mentions of the BOLT!!!!!

I have seen an add for the Volt 3 times on the 11 PM news about a month ago here in NJ (on the NY stations).. Hope springs eternal

Don

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I was about to bring up the same gripe session I had several weeks back, as I continue to notice that the Volt is NEVER pictured in the Chevy family in the advertisements where five or so Chevys are in the same frame.

If you Google 'Help me to choose a Chevrolet', you are taken to this webpage
http://www.chevrolet.com/tools/help-choose-vehicles.html
A few weeks back, the Volt was the ONLY Chevy not shown...agitators like to point out that the Corvette was not shown in the photos either...well this page had Corvettes, SS...everything...but no Volt...

I just went back and checked and now, at least, the Volt is indeed shown as part of the Chevy family. Maybe things are looking up.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I just went back and checked and now, at least, the Volt is indeed shown as part of the Chevy family. Maybe things are looking up.
Glad it's there, because having it missing altogether is inexcusable. But now, it's the ONLY ONE with its name not listed in all caps. Petty I know, but why would they do that?

And I just discovered if you click the "cars" filter, it's not shown. But on the other hand, watch what happens when you click the "2017" filter ;)

·
Registered
921 Posts
To be fair, the two page spread on 'Innovators" with a picture of Silicon Valley overlaid with arrows showing the locations of Google, Apple, etc. did not mention Tesla, which is in the frame if you know where to look...

Not that I would expect GM to call Tesla an innovator of course.

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts
With a few notable exceptions, Chevy's Volt marketing has always been mostly pathetic. If it's not a truck, they don't know what to do.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
With a few notable exceptions, Chevy's Volt marketing has always been mostly pathetic. If it's not a truck, they don't know what to do.
I wouldn't say that. It's a calculated decision, hardly that 'they don't know what to do'.

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts
I wouldn't say that. It's a calculated decision, hardly that 'they don't know what to do'.
And I think "calculating" is giving them too much credit, haha. Have you seen the bathroom or the alien commercials?

On the other hand, both are better than the ads now running in my area (none). Or the ads that feature Chevy's efficient car lineup (no Volt). The claim has apparently been that some dealers don't support Chevy EV's, so Chevy doesn't show them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts