GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had the radio/info screen malfunction on me a few times. Basically the screen becomes non-functional, and every time I touch it, the screen reverts to the "set time" screen but nothing functions. This has only happened a handful of times - sometimes it can be remedied by shutting the car off, sometimes not.

Here's a video of it (it's long and boring, sorry, I'm no cinematographer :p ): http://youtu.be/HnEKjehTnac

1st Fix: Dealer reset some settings and made sure my software ware up to date

2nd Fix: Dealer replaced the radio

3rd Fix: Dealer replaced a controller board

The car has been fine for a little over a month - then last night....it happened again on my drive home. I called my service advisor to schdule an appointment...but I am getting really aggravated by this.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Since you posted this I assume you are seeking our help. So in that spirit could you post up a few photo's so we can get a better understanding of what you are trying to describe.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since you posted this I assume you are seeking our help. So in that spirit could you post up a few photo's so we can get a better understanding of what you are trying to describe.
There is a link to the YouTube video I made in the first post...........I have also contacted my Volt Advisor....

3,608 Posts
rbloeedow,

I apologize for the frustrations you have experienced. Glad to hear your working with your Advisor, could you PM me the last 8 of your VIN? I would like to look into your case thank you!

-Ian Chevrolet Volt Customer Service

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Sorry, should have mentioned my employer blocks YouTube, so I'll have to pick this up when I get home this evening.

But you appear to have the right folks engaged.

·
Registered
718 Posts
sorry to hear. i totally know how it fells.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
sorry to hear. i totally know how it fells.
As with @Toasty, I can relate.

@rbloedow: You may have motivated me to make a video of these steps. Maybe I'll do it this week.

I've told my Volt Advisor about this, but she really hasn't gotten involved. I've taken my Volt to my dealership many times (four or five) and nothing they have done has fixed it. They've updated software a few times and even replaced the radio module. :(

@Ian: What say you?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Document all parameters for the tech.
..this video is 4 months old...is the problem accurately displayed?
...does it occur when the car is first started...cold
...how long after power up does it occur
what devices are connected or turned on.... radio,ipod,heater...AC ,defrost

..pull the fuses to this circuit and replace...a fuse that has developed high resistance causing a voltage drop?

The techs go by the repair procedures
replace A resolve? no..replace B..resolve? no..replace C... resolve? ...and so on

looks like they replaced all direct components

time to look closely at the connectors for bad connection too

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Document all parameters for the tech.
..this video is 4 months old...is the problem accurately displayed?
...does it occur when the car is first started...cold
...how long after power up does it occur
what devices are connected or turned on.... radio,ipod,heater...AC ,defrost

..pull the fuses to this circuit and replace...a fuse that has developed high resistance causing a voltage drop?

The techs go by the repair procedures
replace A resolve? no..replace B..resolve? no..replace C... resolve? ...and so on

looks like they replaced all direct components

time to look closely at the connectors for bad connection too
Yes, the problem is accurately displayed. The only difference is how the problem is resolved: Sometimes the problem resolves itself if the car has been shut off (powered down, door opened to cut power from radio). Other times, it continues after being shut off - it must be shut down multiple times to correct itself.

There is nothing consistent about when it happens - sometimes it happens within 10 minutes of my drive, other times it started after I had been driving in the car for hours. Only about 2-3 times a week. In the past it started when it was hot...but last night it was in the 50's...do I don't know if temperature is a determining factor. I always have XM radio on - occurs when I try to change the station (at least, that's when I notice it because they're really the only time I touch the screen). I have no devices connected to the system, and it does not matter whether I run the A/C (happened both with it off and on). I also never run the heat (This is Florida :p).

I have video taped it on multiple occasions - last night though, I was out getting pizza and didn't have my phone on me (which sucks, because I want to get it documented every time).

I am going to give the dealer one more chance to fix it - should it not be fixed, I will pursue getting it categorized as a lemon. :/

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The screen has failed again. This is after three repair attempts. I started the process to file Lemon Law paperwork today - mailed the Defect notification form to GM via certified mail.... :/

·
Registered
718 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
who makes these devices? since ive heard they run on QNX.. are htey made by harmon? if so, Harmon is who made the MyGig/ U-connect units for Jeep.. and MANY issues were reported on the Jeep units as well... I was lucky in my Jeep and have been Lucky in my 2013 Volt

I may be way off base.. just curious...
-Christopher

·
Registered
73 Posts
Heh....I'm getting the same issue about 3 times since I bought the car, hasn't come to the point where it's bothering me enough to take her into the dealer.

·
Registered
84 Posts
We just started having the exact same problem with our 2012 Volt last week when we returned from vacation. It has been happening intermittently, but quite often. I have scheduled it to go into the dealer this Thursday.

who makes these devices? since ive heard they run on QNX.. are htey made by harmon?
QNX was sold by Harmon International to BlackBerry (makers of the smartphone; previously known as Research In Motion) in 2010.

3,608 Posts
same here (also have problems with my screen/center stack, not the same as yours)... been to the dealer 5+ times (30+ days in shop) already.. they are going to replace the radio once again (hopefully sometime this week ).

mine freezes/lags, and unresponsive too.

see: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?17194-Center-Screen-quot-Restart-quot

1st video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdoAee06ACM (Reboot at 1:21)

2nd video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDQIyj_oWRU (Reboot at 2:33)
Toasty,

I apologize that you are having this concern. Is your Volt Advisor involved? If you would like to PM me with the last 8 of your VIN I will have them reach out to you and the dealership while they are looking into this.

Thank you,

3,608 Posts
Heh....I'm getting the same issue about 3 times since I bought the car, hasn't come to the point where it's bothering me enough to take her into the dealer.
Meedo,

Have you informed your Volt Advisor of this? If you would like to PM me with the last 8 of your VIN as well, I can have them reach out to you. At least to have the concern documented for you.

3,608 Posts
We just started having the exact same problem with our 2012 Volt last week when we returned from vacation. It has been happening intermittently, but quite often. I have scheduled it to go into the dealer this Thursday.
Pluto,

I apologize you too have experienced this. Have you contacted your Volt Advisor? If not please contact the Canadian Volt Advisor Team at 800-263-3777

Thank you,

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I have also had this come up intermittently during the last 1.5 years. Maybe about 4 or 5 times. It fixed itself when I shut the car off. I just chalked it up to system bugs:

• I have seen the rear camera display blanked out once
  • center screen while running XM radio rebooted during use
  • car would not turn off one time (a system reset happened about 40 minutes that turned everything off)
  • Remote Link / MyVolt.com non-functional for over 6 weeks (still not working correctly)
A lot of little bugs over the last 18 months.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I haven't had this problem, just spitballing here, could the steering wheel controls have anything to do with this?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts