GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Volt and my center console screen froze today at start up. I was not able to adjust the audio/change the station. Clock was frozen. Power button for stereo did not work. I think it may have something to do with the fact that I was plugging my IPAD in as I turned the car power on.

My attempted remedies so far:

- I turned the car off twice and re-started - still frozen

- I called on-star and asked them to run diagnostics - no error codes

- I searched the internet and found this seems to happen from time to time. (Although it seem to be more frequest with earlier versions). Suggested remedies include:
- Waiting an hour to see if it resets itself
- Unplug ipad connector cord

I wont be be able to test out any fixes until the end of the day when I return to the car (it is at a commuter lot). But I would appreciate it if anyone else has possible fixes or ideas

Thanks

Dave

·
4,852 Posts
You might also try disconnecting the 12V battery under the hatch area in the back of the car. That may force a reset of the system.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
You might also try disconnecting the 12V battery under the hatch area in the back of the car. That may force a reset of the system.
Is there a fuse?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
. . . I turned the car off twice and re-started - still frozen
I have a related issue over here in this thread.

I do know that turning off the car and turning it right back on quickly won't reboot the center stack. It requires turning off the car and waiting a few minutes (maybe 3 or 4). It may also require opening the door and getting out. The reason I say that is because I tried shutting down the car and turning it on quickly, to no avail. Then I turned it off and got out to run inside for only a minute or so. When I came back and turned on the car, everything was working fine. So, I don't know if getting out and closing the door has anything to do with it or if just turning it off for a couple of minutes did it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Turning off the car leaves the radio going so I expect the center stack is left on. As soon as I open the door it goes off, so I expect that is when the center stack is power cycled. You don't have to get out.

The power button for the radio has no affect when this is happening?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Turning off the car leaves the radio going so I expect the center stack is left on. As soon as I open the door it goes off, so I expect that is when the center stack is power cycled. You don't have to get out.

The power button for the radio has no affect when this is happening?
Thanks to all for the notes on this. When it happened, the power button had no effect, terry.

When i got back to the car at days end, it was all back to normal...well, sort of.
A few quirky things
- this may be my imagination but it seems to take a few seconds longer for the back up video to turn off....the camera automatically comes on when you are in reverse and turns off when you return to drive. It now seems to take a few seconds longer after you put the car back in drive

- i had to reconnect my bluetooth from my iphone ....it was still paired but not connected. That had not happened before.

- finally, when i plugged my iphone into the usb port, the phone would not play thru the audio of the car eventhough i could control the iphone from the center console. This finally corrected itself after awhile
I think i just caught a random glitch ... I think i may have plugged my ipad in too quickly as the car was starting off. Just a theory but that was the one thing i did a little differently this morning

I love the helpful spirit of the people on this board. Thank you

Dave

·
Registered
216 Posts
Similar (in some respects) but different center screen lockup for me, this morning.

No climate control screen - would not even open the screen (using the climate "button" - no effect, no "click" or anything).
No home page (the Home "button" did nothing).
Odd Power screens, they would all Open, but nothing would Work. The Power flow screen was not updating, but there was a single line message across the bottom that said "Power Off". The charging screen was "stuck", likewise the Energy used screen.
The Radio seemed to work fine, on XM, other than the Volume pop-up along the bottom was stuck on 0, regardless of what I Did with the volume. Which Did work. The Power button (center stack power) worked, or seemed to, but nothing changed or behaved differently on a power on/off cycle.
The Clock and outside temp numbers on the display were stuck at what they were reading when the car was powered on.

This happend on an otherwise routine departure from home. Unlock car, unplug charge cord (from a routine overnight re-charge, which had completed a couple of hours earlier), get in car and power on. All normal so far. Open garage door and put car in reverse, camera on, normal. Back out of garage and place in drive, wait for camera off and then push the Climate button to change settings (or verify what was already there), and.. Nothing. I tried a shut off (power Car off) and restart to no effect. I tried doing that again and opening the door (to shut down the radio), no effect. Maybe I didn't wait long enough for a reset to happen, possibly.

I drove the thing 30 miles (about 45 minutes) to work, and it Ran fine. No problems other than the goofy behaviour of the center stack, which persisted for the entire drive.

Couple of other things.. The seat heaters worked, and the climate system Seemed to actually be Working: The Auto button changed things when on/off, the Defrost button cranked up the fan speed, etc. Just no climate Screen. And no Home screen. The Back button would still take the thing to the Now Playing screen though(from the only other screens that would appear - the Power screens)..

Anyhow, When I reached work I plugged it in, as usual (120v). The Charging screen was still showing the 12a setting (2013 model), and would not Change from that no matter what. I'm not sure if it really was going to Charge at that rate or not. It seemed to enter charging normally (light and beep).

I went inside the office and connected to it via the Onstar app on the phone (Android). Seemed normal, although the Charging status (time to complete) was screwy, regardless of Whatever rate it was actually using. The battery charge level Seemed to be about right, and more or less matched what the main "Dash" display was showing when I arrived (That display had worked OK all the way in to work).

After a few minutes I went back out to the car and did the usual "drive off" stuff: Unlock, unplug, power on, etc. Everything was back to normal and working. Obviously it had reset, and the problem was gone. I Assume (big assumption) that had I powered down and Waited a bit at the house it would have reset successfuly there and then. Maybe.

No idea what happened. I guess I'll wait and see if it does it again one of these mornings..

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just had a weird display quirk this morning.
I remote started the car while it was plugged in using my iphone app. When I went to the garage it was still running, I unplugged it. Right after I unplugged it turned off (I think it was the end of the 10 minute cycle). Then I got in, and turned the car on, everything seemed fine except when I turned the radio up the thing that tells you how high the volume is was blank (it looked like the volume was on zero but it obviously wasn't because I could hear it), when I turned it up the sound got louder but the volume display stayed at zero.

Then I noticed the time was stuck on 7:22am. While I drove my kids to school (two different places) it stayed at 7:22. Also when I changed radio stations using the steering wheel control it would highlight the station in yellow (as usual) on the xm stations but the fm stations wouldn't highlight so I had no idea which station I was tuning to.

Also my energy screen wasn't showing any usage, it was stuck on the same thing it said when I started the car in the garage. The instrument display was showing a decrease in range (I had 33 EV miles available when I left the house, and it declined throughout my drive as it usually does) but the center stack energy screen was not calculating any use.

When I got to my son's school I powered the car off and opened the door to turn the radio off, then closed it and restarted the car...everything was still stuck.

When I got to my daughter's school we had to wait about 10 minutes before she could go into the building so I turned the car off, opened the door to turn off the radio and sat there waiting...
10 minutes later I turned the car back on and everything was working again except the clock was 12 minutes behind and had to be reset to the correct time.

Anyone know why this happened? I've already had my radio replaced once because the center stack display froze while I was using the steering wheel controls (dealership said replacing the radio was the fix for that).

Crys
2013 Silver Ice Metallic

·
Registered
974 Posts
to Michvolt
Hello from Livonia :)

Mine did something similar today, I was driving out for coffee and the center stack wigged out and reset. The screen stayed black for some time and then started working, I clicked on the power flow icon and it took, no kidding, 4 minutes for the green plug in graphic animation to complete one frame at a time and show a floating battery with no wheels,motor. I left it alone and 10mins later I clicked on the NAV button. The screen for the nav was black with the radio info on the top and the stop light/street name on the bottom - the street name was nowhere near the physical location of the car so that was frozen. It's parked now for a few hours but will see the time and what it does after work. I did have time to iphone pic the blank nav screen so, i do have that to verify the time. I think maybe they pushed an update today and it tweaked the console?????

picture of clock on blank iphone is correct..

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hey, mine did the same thing Saturday (two days ago) as Michvolt. Letting it sit an hour cleared everything up though. I did not notice if the time was off, will check that tonight. I too noticed the backup camera stayed on after shifting to drive a second or two longer also.

·
Registered
718 Posts
same here 2013

clock works, but "Power Flow" screen freezes, or lags for a very long time.

and same thing about the "back-up cam" sometimes i can drive about 30-60seconds (and several blocks & turns) in forward while the camera is still on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, first post here. Just got to work and had something similar happen in my 2013. Speedo worked fine, radio worked fine (XM) and pressing home would allow me to navigate to the home screen. Changing climate settings seemed to physically work, but no response from the climate screen on the stack. Just got to work, so we'll see in a few hours.

Possibly related, I got the best mileage out of my car this morning. I'm nearly positive that the battery is showing the wrong charge, but I did a ~25 mile trip and the battery shows 50% with 23 miles remaining. The battery was discharging, and I had the subscreen that displays the battery vs. engine on the speedometer and that was operating normally. I switched over to hold for a few to ration some charge for the trip home, but noticed how well the charge was doing and went back to battery. I'll take no center stack for double the distance! :D

Anyhow, I'm in IT so I'm patient and know that these things happen from time to time. Good to see I'm not the only one though.

Best,
Jeff

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Similar (in some respects) but different center screen lockup for me, this morning.

No climate control screen - would not even open the screen (using the climate "button" - no effect, no "click" or anything).
No home page (the Home "button" did nothing).
Odd Power screens, they would all Open, but nothing would Work. The Power flow screen was not updating, but there was a single line message across the bottom that said "Power Off". The charging screen was "stuck", likewise the Energy used screen.
The Radio seemed to work fine, on XM, other than the Volume pop-up along the bottom was stuck on 0, regardless of what I Did with the volume. Which Did work. The Power button (center stack power) worked, or seemed to, but nothing changed or behaved differently on a power on/off cycle.
The Clock and outside temp numbers on the display were stuck at what they were reading when the car was powered on.
I had the exact same thing happen to me four times now. Twice was after Onstar ran a remote diagnostics for a CEL (CEL was not related to the centre stack issues). The other two times were random in the morning. All of them did happen shortly after unplugging my car.

I found to clear it I had to shut down the car and leave it for a few minutes for it to go back to normal.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I just dropped mine off at the dealership for something similar. When I turned on my Volt today I couldn't get most of the buttons on the center stack to respond. The touchscreen was OK, and I could use the buttons for HVAC and heated seats, but nothing else. No radio controls, no Leaf button. This is the first time in 9000 mi that I've had this problem, but I have had recurring issues with "Navigation Initializing" and with my iPod locking up. I've heard there is a software update for the center stack. I took pictures of the software versions so we'll see what I get back...

At the same time I'm getting two campaigns performed: 12241 (HPCM2 delayed charge) and 12266 (Parking brake control module)

I also saw an option which presumably logs debug info to a flash drive. If I continue to have issues I might have to try that.

Update: GM is replacing the radio. Should be about 2 weeks for parts to arrive.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had something similar, but not quite the same, happen today. Turned my 2013 on this morning as usual. No pre-heat, no iPod connection. As I'm backing out of the garage the center stack screen went dark for a few seconds then came back to life with the "start up" screen (the flowing leaves and music). It then went back to the screen that was on and has been behaving normally all day.

This is the first time this has happened.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Had same issue with backup camera as timlange3 and reset of center console as Miredian. The goofy graphic of part of the battery and no front wheels was interesting. Behind it was part of the "Volt" blue graphic you get when you get in before you turn the radio on. Bizarre. It is random/intermittent as coming back to the car at other times it is fine. Taking mine in today. One other member posted that replacing the "radio module" cleared the problem for him. I'm wondering if they changed vendors or software for 2013. Had a 2012 for 6 mos with no issues. Do not have NAV pkg. I use google maps on my smartphone.

Hey, mine did the same thing Saturday (two days ago) as Michvolt. Letting it sit an hour cleared everything up though. I did not notice if the time was off, will check that tonight. I too noticed the backup camera stayed on after shifting to drive a second or two longer also.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Same thing happened to me a few days ago. I let it sit overnight and it was fine in the morning, except the backup camera takes a while to shut off now, and I swear the FM reception is crappy now, as well as a bluetooth connection issue with my iphone.

Nate

·
Registered
718 Posts
Had same issue with backup camera as timlange3 and reset of center console as Miredian. The goofy graphic of part of the battery and no front wheels was interesting. Behind it was part of the "Volt" blue graphic you get when you get in before you turn the radio on. Bizarre. It is random/intermittent as coming back to the car at other times it is fine. Taking mine in today. One other member posted that replacing the "radio module" cleared the problem for him. I'm wondering if they changed vendors or software for 2013. Had a 2012 for 6 mos with no issues. Do not have NAV pkg. I use google maps on my smartphone.

this?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts