GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Same thing happened a couple of months ago. Took it to dealer, they didn't know what the problem was, but got it working. Today, started the car, display is not off, but only shows black. Really annoying. Going back to dealer with it tomorrow...AGAIN.

Here is the link to my thread the first time this happened.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?230769-Infotainment-screen-black

·
Registered
440 Posts
I've had the same issue. They've reprogrammed it and have replaced the Human Interface Module. They are replacing the actual display this week.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've had this happen about 3 times so far. My radio still plays, but I can't access anything on the screen. However, it's come back after either turning the car off and on or for some reason it pops back without doing anything.

-bgodzilla

·
Registered
418 Posts
Is the temperature and time still being displayed? If so, then try holding in the center button on the volume knob for a few seconds. Doing this will turn the display on and off, with the exception of the temperature and time.

If it's all black with nothing, then I don't know. But it might be worth trying anyway.

Best,
Rick

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the temperature and time still being displayed? If so, then try holding in the center button on the volume knob for a few seconds. Doing this will turn the display on and off, with the exception of the temperature and time.

If it's all black with nothing, then I don't know. But it might be worth trying anyway.

Best,
Rick
Yeah it's more than that.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They replaced the display. Got the car back today. They gave me a loaner.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Mine did this a few weeks ago, for about five minutes. Then it just came back on again. And no, there was no clock or temperature...just a blank display.

·
Registered
55 Posts
wow. ::sigh::
another component that is not consistent in quality or predictable with success or failure. And this will sound schizoid, but I do enjoy the car - even with the interior noises d/t vibration and the newest noise = a "hummmpf" when foot on brake and changing either from park to drive or vice versa...can't nail down exactly if brake foot pressure is releasing or simply changing the gears, as it doesn't happen 100% of the time...::sigh:: (and yes I've seen the Gen II posts regarding this noise...)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've had my center stack go black twice now and it didn't start working till I pulled the fuse for it and then put it back in. That action seems to work like a reset button and it starts working again. I now carry a small pair of needle nose pliers in the glove box as the fuse are too small to get a grip on and it is a pain to lift the hood to get the fuse remover out of the fuse box under the hood. The center stack needs a reset button on it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've had my center stack go black twice now and it didn't start working till I pulled the fuse for it and then put it back in. That action seems to work like a reset button and it starts working again. I now carry a small pair of needle nose pliers in the glove box as the fuse are too small to get a grip on and it is a pain to lift the hood to get the fuse remover out of the fuse box under the hood. The center stack needs a reset button on it.
Thanks, my center stack went out today. And this worked. I hope I don't have to do this too often.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Both times this happened to me, it came back on after a few minutes. Today, the on-screen "pause" button refused to work on my plugged-in iPod Touch. My impression of the current crop of infotainment systems is that they're at about the same place in their development curve as cordless home phones were when they first hit the market...that is, a great idea that's just not quite ready for prime time. Maybe in another five years infotainment will actually work, but for now, we're paying for the development...and that isn't right.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Both times this happened to me, it came back on after a few minutes. Today, the on-screen "pause" button refused to work on my plugged-in iPod Touch.
My upgrade to IOS 10 has not failed in the car yet, however I will say I've gotten consistent in my procedure when entering the car to reduce the risk of the black screen of death. 1) Plug in iPhone to the USB port and ensure it's not locked, 2) put on the seat belt (a seatbelt undone in an occupied seat shuts off the radio per a viewed Chevy commercial), 3) THEN start the car. It takes up to 10 seconds or so to find the iPhone music. It's generally picks up on the last song playing when I exited. When I exit, I just shut off the car and unplug the iPhone. If I was using Apple Maps and listening to music when the car was shut off, upon re-entry, it shows the map and plays the music.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts