GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 12-volt battery recently died. I ended up getting a jump to revive it. After the jump my center console screen states "locked". Everything powers up fine including the screen But I'm unable to do anything that is center console control related. Did some searches in the forum but unable to find the exact problem. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
First thing I'd do is disconnect the negative battery cable. Leave it overnight if possible (if not wait as long as you can, over ten minutes at least). Measure voltage across terminals. If I have less than 12V, replace battery. If there is more than 12V reconnect and start car. Does the problem go away?

Reactions: uchual

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
See my signature... I had my head unit die, and when you put in another one, it will say "locked", because each head unit is VIN-locked to one VIN. So somehow your unit "forgot" it's VIN. I hope the reset described above fixes the issue, but I doubt it will. Dealers can sometimes fix this, but sometimes not. Mine had to be sent to another mysterious facility to get the lock removed (but again, mine was a used unit I was trying to use to replace my failed original one) so the dealer could then re-program it to my VIN. It's an unnecessarily stupid safeguard for a system like this... the head unit is just a box, no buttons or displays built in, it's almost useless on a black market, so why build in such a theft-deterrence system? It just causes problems for honest users.... yeah, I'm still annoyed at my whole ordeal with it, lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
See my signature... I had my head unit die, and when you put in another one, it will say "locked", because each head unit is VIN-locked to one VIN. So somehow your unit "forgot" it's VIN. I hope the reset described above fixes the issue, but I doubt it will. Dealers can sometimes fix this, but sometimes not. Mine had to be sent to another mysterious facility to get the lock removed (but again, mine was a used unit I was trying to use to replace my failed original one) so the dealer could then re-program it to my VIN. It's an unnecessarily stupid safeguard for a system like this... the head unit is just a box, no buttons or displays built in, it's almost useless on a black market, so why build in such a theft-deterrence system? It just causes problems for honest users.... yeah, I'm still annoyed at my whole ordeal with it, lol.
Yeah it sounds like your still a bit sore but i cant totally see why. I had no idea the vin was tied to the head unit so it makes it much more customized. I'm really not quite sure what to do at this point so i'll be trying a hard reset and hopefully it takes away the locked feature. A search did not show any message of this kind. Tried pulling the fuse but that didn't do anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts