GM Volt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little disturbed by the fact that this site seems to censor non-offensive terms, such as the proper descriptor for a person who practices one of the major religions in the world (e.g., ******). I'd be interested whether this system automatically censors other religious names, such as Buddhist, Wiccan, Christian, Hindu, etc. Why the bias?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Not sure how the system is setup... but the trend in society it seems these days is people are offended by anything and everything. Why? who knows... but it's stupid. There's nothing wrong wtih calling a spade a spade.

I fully realize why hate speech is banned or frowned upon... but having to dance around the ever growing fire of political correctness is pointless. I don't keep up with X group likes to be called this or that on odd numbered months, or some crap like that.

I'm not some old timer sitting on his porch polishing his shotgun either, 'membering the times of segregated water fountains and what not. I'm just a regular 34 year old nerdy white guy whos tired of seeing eveyrone lose their mind over being offended.

·
Registered
38 Posts
100% agree with this 34 year old nerdy white guy. Ever heard the term micro aggression? It'll make you pull your hair out.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hello....... Is this written down someplace. Never heard of this. Curious what word is being censored. It would have to be a electronic censor system. JC Jesus, Moslem?
I am annoyed and mostlly surprised by the things that some people are offended with. If they can not take a joke.... Or even a fair opinion. Of course there is a line. And this site has very little bickering compared to other sites.

I'm a little disturbed by the fact that this site seems to censor non-offensive terms, such as the proper descriptor for a person who practices one of the major religions in the world (e.g., ******). I'd be interested whether this system automatically censors other religious names, such as Buddhist, Wiccan, Christian, Hindu, etc. Why the bias?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I just tested it out, this forum is really censoring the word Muslim. ?!?!
That is an intentional setting within the site/forum configuration setup by the admins.

Admin - not sure who made that call, but that is a jacked up decision.

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
The only terms I delete are swear words and a religion's name such as ****** does not fall under that category. AFAIK the software does not delete words of any kind.

However, I don't police the politics area (I'm guessing this is where this happened) because it's often a mud fight that I have no interest in participating in. Enter at your own risk is my motto.

I can only guess another moderator saw an objectionable post in tone or substance and that there is more to the story. If another moderator found something objectionable and deleted it, fine by me. My inclination is go beyond that and delete the Politics forum altogether and focus on car stuff. There are other forums out there to argue over religion.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
The only terms I delete are swear words and a religion's name does not fall under that category. AFAIK the software does not delete words of any kind.

However, I don't police the politics area (I'm guessing this is where this happened) because it's often a mud fight that I have no interest in participating in. Enter at your own risk. I can only guess another moderator saw an objectionable post.
This is an admin setting within this forum, try typing the word M.U.S.L.I.M. in this or any other thread, it is censored as it is here > ******.

of course there are hacks to have it display, but this should simply not be censored.

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
Huh, you are correct, I wonder if this is new.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hello ??????? The word ****** appears below from previous post but not here. Even after being spelled correctly.????
????????????????. So sometimes it gets through and sometimes not? strange.

I just tested it out, this forum is really censoring the word Muslim. ?!?!
That is an intentional setting within the site/forum configuration setup by the admins.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
100% agree with this 34 year old nerdy white guy. Ever heard the term micro aggression? It'll make you pull your hair out.
I see it as an unintended consequence of the fact that we've created a society that is so astoundingly safe overall.

People who have grown up in this "padded corners" society have no perspective at all and think "micro aggression" is something worth noticing because they've had to deal with so little genuine aggression.

I make a parallel to when my dad was teaching me to shoot. The first thing he gave me was a .45 and let me shoot a couple of times "just to get the feel". Once we had done that we went to .22 pistol to learn the actual skills and after shooting the .45, the .22 felt like nothing because I had a spectrum of comparison.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Hello ??????? The word ****** appears below from previous post but not here. Even after being spelled correctly.????
????????????????. So sometimes it gets through and sometimes not? strange.
What's with all the characters?
As stated above, there are hacks to get censored words showed up and I used one there.
The issue is, admins appear to have intentionally censored the word on this forum.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I have, and I'm going out right now for a round of golf.

Someone 'splained to me why m*slim is banned, but I forgot what he said........ Looks like he forgot why too......

What the f*ck?

Huh, you are correct, I wonder if this is new.
Um no, I asked you about this quite a while ago.

I see it as an unintended consequence of the fact that we've created a society that is so astoundingly safe overall.
But it's not. It never was and the idea that it is is the fallacy that is being put out by the idiot "intellectual". I have trouble grasping what passes for education these days.

People who have grown up in this "padded corners" society have no perspective at all and think "micro aggression" is something worth noticing because they've had to deal with so little genuine aggression.
Only the cognitive dissonant believe that they have not dealt with real aggression. That or they have never been in traffic.

I'm going back to my milk and cookies and kitten videos now thank you. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
It's all built into the vBulletin forum software
There's nothing new as far as I'm aware
The initial word filters are based on a set of profanities vBulletin provides as default
We, as moderators have no control of these filters but the Vertical Scope site admins have the ability to add or remove words
If you want more information you can maybe look into at one of the vBulletin support sites
If you have any concerns you are welcome to send an inquiry to Vertical Scope

But in the end ANY word in a profanity filter can certainly be debated as to it's viability to be included in the filtered profanity set
But you'll have to take such debates elsewhere
It is what it is and whatever is or isn't in there WE will simply have to live with it

WOT

UPDATE: THE WORD MUSLIM IS NO LONGER BEING SENSORED IN OUR FOUL LANGUAGE FILTER

Case closed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.