GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my new Bolt EV 2019 last week and I LOVE IT ! I traded in my Volt 2014 and I have no regrets. It’s an amazing car and it fits my needs ! One question though. If I am always gonna charge only up to 88% and not 100% - because the 2019 has this option, will the cell balancing will ever occur or not ? I tried to find out any info about this fact but I couldn’t find. Those of you who use hilltop reserve, what’s your tip about this ?

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Based on what I've seen through the TorquePro app, the individual cells are balancing well in either case.

You have the 2019? It's still using the Hilltop Reserve mode? I thought they would have gotten rid of that with the Charge Termination feature.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Based on what I've seen through the TorquePro app, the individual cells are balancing well in either case.

You have the 2019? It's still using the Hilltop Reserve mode? I thought they would have gotten rid of that with the Charge Termination feature.
Thank you for the info ! Yes, I have a 2019 and no, I don't have anymore the Hilltop reserve, only the CT. I know it looks weird, but when I use the myChevrolet app, it shows me 88% battery instead of 90% (as we might think).

CT1.jpg
CT2.jpg

bolt1.jpg

·
Administrator
20,192 Posts
I thought the charge-termination feature allows you to select the level at which to stop charging?

·
Registered
3,590 Posts

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I have wanted to place this some where in the Bolt section
may be of some use.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/07/08/tesla-model-3-chevy-bolt-battery-packs-examined/

Tesla Model 3 & Chevy Bolt Battery Packs Examined

Not sure if the Bolt need a FULL charge every x charging times for Cell balancing.
Not in my experience. That looks like some sort of issue with Tesla's BMS programming. They'll probably fix it with a patch eventually, but in the meantime, Model 3 owners are advised to charge to at least 90% every so often.

The 30 kWh Nissan LEAF seemed to have similar BMS issues. Owners started complaining of extremely rapid battery degradation (even by LEAF standards), but after further investigation, it turned out that the BMS was slowly derating battery capacity over time.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought the charge-termination feature allows you to select the level at which to stop charging?
Yes, it does. In the photos I posted, one shows with the stop charging set at 90% - but it looks like the app MyChevrolet reads 88% - and one at full (100%). There is no more Hillstop reserve.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts