GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So you'll never believe my current situation (okay, maybe you will, but I can't).

I'm on vacation at the Kalahari resort in the Wisconsin Dells. I was driving to the convention center from my lodge, and my CEL came on right after the engine restarted as I took off from a stop sign. I pulled into a parking lot at the resort and called OnStar. They ran the diagnostic probe and said it was a "High Voltage Battery Sensing Failure" and said I need to have it serviced within a day. The guy found the nearest dealer, but the dealer said they wouldn't be able to service it until Monday.

Great, that's when I need to be at work back at home. I asked if I could still drive it home from the Dells and he said "yeah, as long as it seems like it's running fine you shouldn't have an issue" so I took it back to the lodge and parked it. Upon trying to restart it, I get no propulsion or engine at all. The "whoosh" sound plays and it says "Initializing...wait to shift" for about 5 seconds as normal. After that, it goes to the dashboard but with no "READY" light and none of the accessories work. If I shift it, it says "Shift To Park".

It also shows my propulsion battery is full but with 0 miles range, even though I know it's empty.

I'm currently waiting on a tow truck to the nearest dealer 7 miles away where I will hopefully be able to get a loaner for getting home, and I'm hoping they'll deliver my car back to my local dealer when it's done being serviced.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I would have disconnected the 12V battery, reconnected it and see if that doesn't reset the car.

Might be worth a try either before the tow truck arrives or after you drop it off at the dealer. And if restarted and you could drive it I don't think I'd shut it off until you got home.

Bummer and good luck.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Already got it towed to the dealer...I didn't have the tools with me to disconnect the 12V battery. If it was an issue with the HV charge sensing system, I doubt resetting the 12V system would resolve it. It sounds like a microchip or sensor somewhere blew.

To make matters worse, they won't even be able to look at the car until Monday, and they want me to come pick it up in the Dells (a 2.5 hour drive from my house each way) when it's done. I'm probably going to need to have GM pay for an Enterprise so I can get back home tomorrow.

I've sent a message to the GM Customer Service account here explaining the situation...I also asked them if GM could give me a statement as to why my brand new car is having so many issues.

And from reading around this subforum, I'm not the only one whose Gen 2 Volt is having multiple issues in such rapid succession like this.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Keep us posted on the problem and resolution. What year is your Volt. And yes, you need to play hardball with GM on their service/support.

My 2017 has been flawless in fact we are taking it kids house in southern Maryland from here in southern Illinois for Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Already got it towed to the dealer...I didn't have the tools with me to disconnect the 12V battery. If it was an issue with the HV charge sensing system, I doubt resetting the 12V system would resolve it. It sounds like a microchip or sensor somewhere blew.

To make matters worse, they won't even be able to look at the car until Monday, and they want me to come pick it up in the Dells (a 2.5 hour drive from my house each way) when it's done. I'm probably going to need to have GM pay for an Enterprise so I can get back home tomorrow.

I've sent a message to the GM Customer Service account here explaining the situation...I also asked them if GM could give me a statement as to why my brand new car is having so many issues.

And from reading around this subforum, I'm not the only one whose Gen 2 Volt is having multiple issues in such rapid succession like this.
My 2017 has had two major issues in the 8200 miles I've had it. First was a high voltage fuse that made it run 100% on engine only, 2nd was a 12V low voltage fuse that left me stranded on the side of the road trying to get home from work.

I just got my car back 2 days ago... and the dealer and service manager have been great. However I've brought up the same issue with GM customer service before, and so far all I get is a "we understand how frustrating this must be"... and we are investigating it.... but not a peep out of them on what they plan on doing to make things right. first time it was in the shop for 2 weeks and I wasted almost 60 dollars out of my own pocket for gas I'd never otherwise need. Really making me question the decision to buy a $40k car that has had two major issues in less than 9000 miles.

The really funny part is on my dash cam I was doing a little (nice) rant and about 1 minute after stating on the camera "I don't have any confidence in this car to get me home" - it 100% died in a similar manner as yours. I love the car and I want to love GM, but every 4000 miles something happens that puts me in a crappy loaner.

I'm trying to give them a chance before I start bad mouthing them or posting video of the incident online, but so far they are making it really hard. I don't want to resort to posting negative articles or videos on what's been going on I just want a car that gets me from A to B reliably.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Keep us posted on the problem and resolution. What year is your Volt. And yes, you need to play hardball with GM on their service/support.

My 2017 has been flawless in fact we are taking it kids house in southern Maryland from here in southern Illinois for Thanksgiving.
2016...so first year of Gen 2.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update from info I've obtained since this first occurred:

All of the Volt-certified technicians at the Don Larson dealer near the Dells are out until Friday. That means I'm stuck without a car until at least this weekend, unless GM is able to arrange an alternate option I proposed. They had a Volt-familiar technician look at it, but because he wasn't certified, he couldn't even poke around at it. He told me what I already knew from OnStar: there's an issue with the high-voltage system.

Like I said earlier, I messaged the Customer Service account here. I heard back from Amber and Lauren who were both friendly and helpful. Amber is working with internal teams at GM to see what options are available to me...the one I proposed was for GM to transport my vehicle to Wickstrom Chevrolet, where I bought the vehicle from. They guaranteed that they certified the vehicle in perfect condition after a 170-some point inspection, but since buying it, I've needed a recall performed that they should have done while it was on the lot, new spark plugs which should have been inspected during the Certified Pre-Owned inspection, and now this high-voltage failure which seems very spontaneous for a car that passed inspection.

It seems to me like Wickstrom owes me something for my trouble, and I'd definitely be satisfied by them trucking my car down to their dealer from Wisconsin (so I don't have to drive 5 hours to get it back), repairing it (obviously under its warranty...it's a year old), and providing me with a loaner vehicle until it's repaired. I suppose I'll just have to wait and see what comes of the efforts by the customer service department.

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
since buying it, I've needed a recall performed that they should have done while it was on the lot, new spark plugs which should have been inspected during the Certified Pre-Owned inspection, and now this high-voltage failure which seems very spontaneous for a car that passed inspection
I agree the recall should have been done before delivery What recall was it?

Same agreement on the spark plugs, then again, I doubt dealers inspect them at this point as part of the routine maintenance schedule, so that one you could argue both sides.

The HV issue, I disagree. This can happen without any warning. NO dealer is going to drop the HV battery and disassemble it before a sale or even as part of routine maintenance. That one was just bad luck in my opinion.

So I think you only have one "no question about it" gripe on the pre-sale certification, the recall item.

But I hope you can get the car trucked to your local dealer. A 5 hour drive is not the worst thing, but I'd rather be spending that on a field trip to Orion, MI to see the Bolt EV assembly plant. :)

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree the recall should have been done before delivery What recall was it?

Same agreement on the spark plugs, then again, I doubt dealers inspect them at this point as part of the routine maintenance schedule, so that one you could argue both sides.

The HV issue, I disagree. This can happen without any warning. NO dealer is going to drop the HV battery and disassemble it before a sale or even as part of routine maintenance. That one was just bad luck in my opinion.

So I think you only have one "no question about it" gripe on the pre-sale certification, the recall item.

But I hope you can get the car trucked to your local dealer. A 5 hour drive is not the worst thing, but I'd rather be spending that on a field trip to Orion, MI to see the Bolt EV assembly plant. :)
It was actually three recalls...there was one for the driver-side seat rails, one for the shifter lever getting stuck in P or something, and one that involved reprogramming the drive unit controller to fix the "chuggle" and some other stuff (I noticed a huge improvement in traction control after that one).

And, I just got a call from Don Larson in Wisconsin, they're actually towing my vehicle to the dealer 15 minutes from my house where I had it serviced twice before. It's on the truck now. I'm really happy with GM customer service right now; I honestly was expecting to have to drive 5 hours to Baraboo, WI and back next week to get it, but now I'll only have to drive 15 minutes and they'll hopefully be able to get it repaired a little bit sooner too. I'm still not happy that it broke with such low mileage, but seeing GM take initiative like this to make the situation more bearable is really impressive.

·
Registered
449 Posts
And, I just got a call from Don Larson in Wisconsin, they're actually towing my vehicle to the dealer 15 minutes from my house where I had it serviced twice before. It's on the truck now. I'm really happy with GM customer service right now; I honestly was expecting to have to drive 5 hours to Baraboo, WI and back next week to get it, but now I'll only have to drive 15 minutes and they'll hopefully be able to get it repaired a little bit sooner too. I'm still not happy that it broke with such low mileage, but seeing GM take initiative like this to make the situation more bearable is really impressive.
That is EXTREMELY impressive. Kudos to GM customer service!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right? I'm really impressed. The guy at my local dealer couldn't believe it either. He said they won't be able to look at it until Friday either (because of the holiday, of course), but at least it's closer now. And I can get my parking garage transponder out of it for work when it gets here...(oops)

I just picked up a loaner Malibu earlier today that's actually quite nice. Remote start, tinting rear view mirror, power seats, MyLink, and Auto-Stop (which never kicked in on my way home). I won't mind driving it for a few days until mine is fixed.

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
Yes, we saw this type of support with the early Gen 1's as well. Was this dealer initiative or was this GM?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, we saw this type of support with the early Gen 1's as well. Was this dealer initiative or was this GM?
It was GM; I private messaged the GM Customer Service account on this forum and Amber and Lauren helped me arrange it. Don Larson GM called me saying "GM got involved and we got your car on a truck this morning". I don't know if a dealer would ever pay for transport for a disabled vehicle without GM's help.

3,600 Posts
We’re always happy to help, Arcanox! Your ownership experience is incredibly important to us, and we’re happy to get your Volt on her way home. I did just respond to your recent private message, but if you have additional questions/concerns, please let me know.

Best,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I heard from my dealer; they found a bad cell in one of my HV battery banks and need to order a new battery bank on Monday. I'm not sure when I'm going to get it back. The good news is I asked them if I could come grab some stuff out of my car that I left in it, and they said I could come in this afternoon, so I finally got to see my poor thing for the first time in a week. Amazingly they left the 12V system connected so I was able to open the hatch and everything.

Still, I was really hoping to have it back sooner than this...

Seriously...a high capacity LiIon battery pack goes out after 1 year? Are all the Gen 2 batteries like this?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I heard from my dealer; they found a bad cell in one of my HV battery banks and need to order a new battery bank on Monday. I'm not sure when I'm going to get it back. The good news is I asked them if I could come grab some stuff out of my car that I left in it, and they said I could come in this afternoon, so I finally got to see my poor thing for the first time in a week. Amazingly they left the 12V system connected so I was able to open the hatch and everything.

Still, I was really hoping to have it back sooner than this...

Seriously...a high capacity LiIon battery pack goes out after 1 year? Are all the Gen 2 batteries like this?
Pretty sure it didn't "go out", it was manufactured with a flaw that took a year to manifest. Now they're gonna fix that with a part that will be correct. (Hopefully, anyway.)

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm hoping it was just a fluke and I don't have any more issues with it. I'm a bit worried that it was temperature-related, as the battery was depleted and it probably reached below freezing overnight. That really shouldn't be an issue (my old hybrid sat outside in the 'burbs of Chicago for several years, driven regularly, and never had an issue)...it could just be that the cold made the manufacturing defect appear finally. The car was sold in California and then transported over the summer to the midwest so it never saw cold until this winter.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Please get us the DTCs that were set. There's really no way to speculate why they would be replacing a battery section without the actual codes.
Once you get the car back, a redacted copy of your repair order would be greatly appreciated, since AFAIK this is the first instance of a battery section replacement on a Gen2 Volt reported here on gm-volt.com
Thanks
WopOnTour

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not sure what the DTC was...the only thing the OnStar rep told me over the call when it first happened was "High Voltage Charge Sensing Failure" but he didn't give me a number. I'll upload a copy of the service report when I get it back, but I have no idea when that will be; haven't heard from them yet today.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Called my dealer today; they should have my car back to me by tomorrow afternoon! The service rep said there was a jumper cable that had a broken fastener or connector and he didn't want it to cause problems later down the line, so he ordered a new one to be safe. The battery is ready to be lifted back into the vehicle and as soon as they get the new cable, they should be able to put everything back together and I can come pick it up!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts