GM Volt Forum banner

CEL ON AGAIN

3K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Norton 
#1 ·
CEL on again. Just got the car last Tuesday. Light came on Saturday they reprogrammed something on the Tuesday. 2 days later light is on again...WTF new car I've had used cars last years without a problem.

#3 ·
The CEL code is important, but also you may just want to shut the car off when you see the code, wait 5 seconds, plug the car back in for 10 seconds, then unplug and start back up. When the CEL issue happened to me twice in the second month I had my Volt that is how I worked around it. Not sure why, but plugging it back in and then out re-set the CEL so it stayed off, though it did take two tries the first time. It was a tip I got here on GM-Volt dot com from other Volt owners back in 2013 so it worked for the Gen I, not sure if it will address the issues you are having with a Gen II but it is worth trying before you take it to a dealer. Free and easy is a good place to start when you are addressing a glitch.
The CEL happened twice and then went away, never to return.

G
#7 ·
CELs, at least in ICE vehicles, operate along the following lines:

- The ECU monitors a number of systems as part of the normal operation of the vehicle.
- When the ECU determines a monitored system falls outside of spec it sets a pending code but does not illuminate the CEL.
- If the monitored system remains out of spec for a number of drive cycles then the CEL will be illuminated.
- If, after the CEL is illuminated, the monitored system falls back within spec the computer will, after a number of drive cycles, extinguish the CEL.
- Even though the CEL has been extinguished the computer retains the code for a number of drive cycles. Typically this is 40, 80, or 120 drive cycles.
- I can't define a drive cycle as it appears to be manufacturer specific. However when I reference drive cycle it means more than cycling the ignition on and off or merely starting the vehicle a few times.

It's possible some sporadic condition caused a monitored system to temporarily fall outside of spec. If the condition truly was temporary the CEL will extinguish on its own. If it does not then the condition is likely not temporary and will need attention.

#4 ·
Sometimes dips in the power grid will happen during thunderstorms.
This may show up as a 'soft code' which will go away on its own after a few charge cycles to full.

Relax....
How many used cars have a Blue Button you can press and speak to someone that will tell you what the CEL code is?

#5 ·
When you get the CEL, you really need to press the OnStar button and ask them for the codes. With the Volt, a CEL can be caused by a charging issue external to the car, for example. You need to tell us the code and understand the code before declaring failure. :)

G
#6 ·
Unless it's a different code / problem my thought is the dealership didn't solve the problem. You mentioned reprogramming, It's been my observation reprogramming (or upgrading) things rarely addresses a problem unless it can be demonstrated that the reprogramming / upgraded specifically addresses the problem. Typically reprogramming / upgrading is performed without doing so.

#12 ·
#13 ·
My brand new 2011 Volt threw a CEL the first day. It was caused by a faulty charge station with a voltage issue. This type of charging-induced CEL will typically go away after 3-4 full battery discharge, recharge cycles as others have mentioned.

Of course, there could be a different cause for your CEL. This why people are suggesting using OnStar to get the codes (write them down) and post here.

#14 ·
So took it to the dealer again. They left it open as they thought it might be a public charge station that caused it. Had it only on my home level 2 charger and the light came back on today.. have had on star so a diagnostic it's the electronic propulsion system not performing as expected and the ion battery not performing as expected with a charging issue. When the light comes on I cant charge the car and says charging not available on the infotainment screen. Has been reset and reprogrammed and I am completely inconvenienced and totally annoyed. If I had to do it again I would not buy a volt...maybe even electric. This has turned me off completely

#15 · (Edited)
Sure, your frustration with the dealer not addressing the issue is understandable. You wrote down the code numbers yes? Make sure the dealers gets them so they can address the issue.

My 2011 has been nearly flawless at 7 years and 95k miles. So good, I bought a Bolt EV to go with it.

#17 ·
Mine through that same code with my '17 two weeks into it. It was a temp sensor. I think GM got a bad batch of them--heard this complaint quite a bit.

#19 ·
I, for one, absolutely DO NOT MISS...
  • Screwing around with the points every other oil change.
  • Trying to keep all 4 drum brakes adjusted to some kind of balance.
  • Adjusting the carb every damn time I went to visit my Grandparents for a weekend (4,500ft elevation change)
  • Voltage regulators that didn't (or did... in a general wibbly wobbly fashion)

#20 ·
(4,500ft elevation change)
Oh, yeah, that's another thing I miss: the engine overheating while driving up a mountain like that because someone didn't adjust the water pump belt tension correctly. I'm sure overheating isn't completely a thing of the past, but for whatever reason modern cars don't seem to have this problem anywhere near as much.

Gimme a CEL anyday, especially with a direct line to OnStar to read the code and assess the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.