GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any cash value to a dead L1 Voltec EVSE (2d generation 'improved' Lear model with orange cord, black pigtail, and orange amp button)?

The POS unexpectedly just died on me and I need to know what to do with it. Does it have any value on ebay, for parts? (How much?) Will municipal e-waste recyclers even accept them? (Here, if its not a computer or a TV they don't want to touch it). Otherwise the darned thing is getting shipped to the president of GM to contend with. Maybe serve as a nice paperweight.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It is covered under warranty if you are still in warranty. Mine was replaced at 25000 miles on the. car.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is covered under warranty if you are still in warranty. Mine was replaced at 25000 miles on the. car.
No it is not, the dealer made me pay for a new one, and so I have the old one sitting in a box taking up space. I only wish otherwise, but no.

And narry a peep from captain obvious on here from the Volt customer help line. No help from them at all....

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I'd contact your volt advisor for assistance. Seems like it should be considered a part of the electric propulsion system and covered for 8/100k.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Is there any cash value to a dead L1 Voltec EVSE (2d generation 'improved' Lear model with orange cord, black pigtail, and orange amp button)?
You might get 20-35 bucks for it on eBay. Recent posts, including having the Volt Advisers involved is GM is now sticking hard to the 3/36K warranty. It really easy for keyboard warriors to say otherwise of course, maybe you can get them to buy your dead one since they can get it exchanged for new lol

·
Registered
679 Posts
The lear models only used 16 gauge wire so if you Open EVSE one it's limited to 12amps. Not worth as much. Sell it on here to one of the members and no eBay.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The lear models only used 16 gauge wire so if you Open EVSE one it's limited to 12amps. Not worth as much. Sell it on here to one of the members and no eBay.
This is the queer thing -- the orange cable + black pigtail + orange button 'Rev. 2' Lear models seem to have thicker gauge wire, externally, for both the pigtail and cable. While the 'improved' Rev. 3 Leer units, with all black wires, and black button, seems to have a thick gauge pigtail, but cheap, thin gauge cable going to the vehicle.

So are you talking about the gauge of wiring hidden inside the case? The older Lear's had thinner gauge wiring inside with better gauge wiring outside? (And what about the newest, all black version?)

Very confusing.

Does anyone have a scanned copy of the complete SAE document on the design of the Volt's EVSE????? I would really like to read it and I don't know if my local library has or can get a copy. It may help clear up some of the mystery.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
This is the queer thing -- the orange cable + black pigtail + orange button 'Rev. 2' Lear models seem to have thicker gauge wire, externally, for both the pigtail and cable. While the 'improved' Rev. 3 Leer units, with all black wires, and black button, seems to have a thick gauge pigtail, but cheap, thin gauge cable going to the vehicle.

So are you talking about the gauge of wiring hidden inside the case? The older Lear's had thinner gauge wiring inside with better gauge wiring outside? (And what about the newest, all black version?)

Very confusing.

Does anyone have a scanned copy of the complete SAE document on the design of the Volt's EVSE????? I would really like to read it and I don't know if my local library has or can get a copy. It may help clear up some of the mystery.
You should be able to read what gauge the wire is from the side of the casing.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
And narry a peep from captain obvious on here from the Volt customer help line. No help from them at all....
I'm not sure who captain obvious is. What is the Volt help line? And what did you expect them to do that they didn't?

·
Registered
741 Posts
so they want 150 for just a cable and connector and 16 gauge seems big enough for running 240 v. so why wouldnt the remains be worth 70 to 100 bucks?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
so they want 150 for just a cable and connector and 16 gauge seems big enough for running 240 v. so why wouldnt the remains be worth 70 to 100 bucks?
Because its a used heap of s&^t the leer, and for 100 you can get a brand new 30 amp cable and connector

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
$25 I will take the bloody thing, I am looking for a cheap J1939 end and that is about all your cord is good for.

Leave it to Leer to make a non-ul, off spec device for continous use that is labled for temporary operation, then weld it in such a way that you can't reasonably repair it..

And yes, most everything inside will get tossed and the wiring will mostly be gone.

Ah well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts