1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
"Apple CarPlay, naturally, and will also channel turn-by-turn directions right into your car's instrument cluster if you want it" If you like turn by turn directions then you're good...Personally being in L.A. most of us use Waze which now gained a speedo and knows the speed limit...

·
Registered
573 Posts
"Apple CarPlay, naturally, and will also channel turn-by-turn directions right into your car's instrument cluster if you want it" If you like turn by turn directions then you're good...Personally being in L.A. most of us use Waze which now gained a speedo and knows the speed limit...
My Volt tells me the speed limit :D

I don't get why you guys don't just use CP with that beautiful 8"screen. To each his own!

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
My Volt tells me the speed limit :D

I don't get why you guys don't just use CP with that beautiful 8"screen. To each his own!
I did, once, in L.A., it was a disaster (Apple Maps, not the Volt/CP)...I actually tried an experiment two weeks ago...Tried to get from Manhattan Beach to Hollywood Forever at 4pm on a Saturday....Waze wanted me to take La Cienega, Google wanted me to take the 110 while Apple wanted the 405...Just so surprising how they each wanted me to go completely different ways...

Edit to add...Siri will open up to 3rd party developers, I'm a huge user of siri and it may now be even easier to use Waze if I can have siri open the app using just my voice...

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Can't you already do that (open the app using Siri)? Now, if you could actually get Siri to open Waze and do something that would be helpful!
You can open, but there are additional steps you have to take...Discovered you can say "directions to [address] in transit" and it will bring the address over to Waze or other nav apps...However for me its had a 50% fail rate, Waze just stuck on the calculating screen...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I also saw Skype shown in the CP app display ... Hope more useful apps are getting CP. OnStar, Liftmaster MyQ garage, Amazon Music and Wink come to mind. ;-)

·
Registered
199 Posts
I was a little underwhelmed with WWDC. I was hoping for some more substantial improvements in Carplay (including allowing 3rd party maps support). Instead all we got was Skype and an improved Apple Maps.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sadly either it doesn't work yet or it wont work with a 2017

·
Registered
13 Posts
Apple Maps is still terrible compared to Waze for getting efficient routes for work commutes :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Sadly either it doesn't work yet or it wont work with a 2017
It'll be part of iOS10, no guarantee it'll be available on the Volt...I'm under the impression only vehicles who can currently display CP on the instrument cluster now will get the feature...

Apple Maps is still terrible compared to Waze for getting efficient routes for work commutes :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Couldn't agree more, and now that Waze has "reduce dangerous intersections" option in L.A. (soon to be rolled out to other markets) it is by far the best navigating app...A windshield mount with gooseneck for $6 is all you need...

·
Registered
425 Posts
Apple Maps looks lovely, and additional features in iOS10 will be welcomed but until Apple Maps gives an option to "Avoid toll roads" and other standard routing options that other GPS apps offer then it is basically useless. Pretty, but useless. It will give you 3 routes, and the option to choose one of them, but anytime I have used it it has offered me 3 different ways to get to the toll highway just north of the (congested) main highway. Thats when I turn to Google or Waze or even the built-in

With Waze coming to Android Auto, and decent navigation options with accurate traffic info being important to me, it may just push me to make my next phone Android. There is very little I use on my iPhone that cannot be replicated on an equivalent handset

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Apple Maps looks lovely, and additional features in iOS10 will be welcomed but until Apple Maps gives an option to "Avoid toll roads" and other standard routing options that other GPS apps offer then it is basically useless. Pretty, but useless. It will give you 3 routes, and the option to choose one of them, but anytime I have used it it has offered me 3 different ways to get to the toll highway just north of the (congested) main highway. Thats when I turn to Google or Waze or even the built-in

With Waze coming to Android Auto, and decent navigation options with accurate traffic info being important to me, it may just push me to make my next phone Android. There is very little I use on my iPhone that cannot be replicated on an equivalent handset
It is interesting that the one thing that could turn an Apple owner into Android is Waze over AA...Also if the rumors are true that the next iphone is abandoning their 3.5mm headphone jack it further makes Apple less compelling...

·
Registered
425 Posts
It is interesting that the one thing that could turn an Apple owner into Android is Waze over AA...Also if the rumors are true that the next iphone is abandoning their 3.5mm headphone jack it further makes Apple less compelling...
A 100+Km per day commute on the busiest highway in North America will do that to you !!! Obviously I use my phone for all sorts of things - including using it as a phone sometimes - but for 2½-3 hrs per day, more on a bad day, I battle traffic on the 401 and surrounding highways. I require a GPS that can deal with my preferences, can handle traffic, can re-route me sensibly and can quickly update itself to changing conditions. I could care less about 3D rendering, pretty graphics, lane suggestions etc. Waze is not perfect, far from it but it does tick all the other boxes, a lot more boxes than most others but definitely more than Apple Maps. When the option to use it on my car screen becomes available then the platform that offers this functionality will have my attention. I may stick with Apple (I do like my phone) but its definitely going to be a huge factor in my decision along with all other considerations.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Has anyone compared Waze to the built-in OnStar nav?
I would suspect the issue with built-in would be traffic updates as I believe you'd have to rely on Sirius/XM Traffic and I doubt it is as good as some other systems.

I tested Waze based upon the love here. Found it lacking compared to Google Maps.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Has anyone compared Waze to the built-in OnStar nav?
There is really no comparison to OnStar nav which is just very minimal (but functional) turn by turn info. The visually appealing in-dash nav would be a better comparison and but for the crappy traffic info and inconsistent routing (two of the most important features of a gps system IMHO) I would use it. The in-dash nav also requires XM Traffic subscription to make use of the traffic data which - in Toronto at least - is slow to update, only covers the major highways not all the major roads, and leads to routing that is not the best or most efficient. I have run it side by side with Waze, Google and even Apple Maps with any of those winning hands down every time.

Google or Waze is - in my opinion - better than any of the other three major options (Apple, OnStar, in-dash) and my preference is Waze for the reasons I stated above. It wont suit everyone and because none of the systems are perfect and all have their flaws and weak points, there will be those that swear by one more than the others, or another of the multitude of apps out there like 'here' or 'navmii' etc. .... The good thing is we can all try them and see which best suits our own specific needs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts