GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
CarPlay did not work this morning after I upgraded to iOS 10. I have experienced CarPlay glitches before that resolve themselves the next time I plug in. I will report back if something changes.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have had issues with the iOS10 public betas and now with the first real release ... My incoming call screen sometimes displays in portrait mode on the landscape screen, and I was getting frequent disconnects when using Waze and other items via Bluetooth.

In my case I did two things which may (or may not) be related to the problem and helped me out .... firstly I changed my cable to one I know is certified (its the original apple cable) and this seems to have cured most of the disconnects. I still get random ones from time to time but its liveable. Secondly, I checked in apps like Waze to make sure the setting to 'prefer bluetooth' was unchecked. The bluetooth setting seems to have been forcing the phone to route all voice over the car speakers as a bluetooth telephone call and playing havoc with the infotainment when it says something. This would disconnect carplay and half the time it would no longer connect back.

I do like the ability to delete icons from the carplay screen though. thats pretty good. and still hoping that apple do get around to allowing apps like Waze into carplay. Apparently Skype is due soon according to this article. overall a good improvement if they can squash some of the annoying glitches that have existed pre iOS10 and still with iOS10.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/06/14/carplay-ios-10-apple-music-apps-changes/

·
Registered
70 Posts
Unfortunately no maps showing up in the driver console. That maybe takes a Carplay upgrade in the car. Probably a 2018 model also. We will have to see. Too bad Chevy can't install the new W1 chip. That would probably make bluetooth pretty impressive.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Been using carplay through the iOS betas - been working great. I, too, was hoping that the maps would display in the DIC, but realistically knew that this would take an update to the MyLink software to work.

As for @HighlanderICT:
I have had issues with the iOS10 public betas and now with the first real release ... My incoming call screen sometimes displays in portrait mode on the landscape screen, and I was getting frequent disconnects when using Waze and other items via Bluetooth.
That's unrelated to CarPlay because CarPlay and Bluetooth are mutually exclusive, so not sure what you mean. When you plug your phone it, the bluetooth disconnects and CarPlay becomes active - so you couldn't have been using Waze or other stuff via Bluetooth (waze, and other audio still go through the carplay audio connection when connected - you can convince yourself of this by turning off bluetooth on your phone and you'll still get the audio through he car speakers.

·
Registered
425 Posts
As for @HighlanderICT:

That's unrelated to CarPlay because CarPlay and Bluetooth are mutually exclusive, so not sure what you mean. When you plug your phone it, the bluetooth disconnects and CarPlay becomes active - so you couldn't have been using Waze or other stuff via Bluetooth (waze, and other audio still go through the carplay audio connection when connected - you can convince yourself of this by turning off bluetooth on your phone and you'll still get the audio through he car speakers.
Whether its iOS10 or Carplay I do not know but since the update to iOS10 I know that when I was running Waze rather than speaking the directions through carplay (and then defaulting to iPhone for music instead of radio) which I agree is its normal behaviour, it started speaking the alerts over the car speakers but in the display it showed it connecting as a bluetooth phonecall and each time it finished speaking the alerts or directions it showed 'bluetooth phone call ended' or something similar. I was not changing my connection some combination of carplay/mylink/iOS10 was doing it. There is a setting in Waze to 'prefer bluetooth' which I figured out may have been doing this and even though it was switched off before it somehow was now active so I am assuming it was forcing a carplay disconnect so it could 'prefer bluetooth'. I switched off that setting and also the spoken alerts so now i don't get this switching happening.

Another Carplay issue - but this was also present in iOS9.x.x - is that the speedo reading is cut in half ! I am going at 100Km/H and it shows 50. Unplug the USB cable to disconect carplay and it instantly shows the correct speed. I tried a couple of other 'speedo' apps and the behaviour was the same so its not a waze bug. apparently this is a known issue.

I do have to say that Apple Maps have now improved to a level where they are usable for me. still not as good as google or waze but getting there.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I updated to iOS10 on my iPhone 5 at work yesterday. I had some initial problems connecting when I went to drive home, but a quick unplug/replug fixed it. I made 3 stops on the way home and it reconnected fine each time I jumped back in the car. I was listening to Podcasts, then Pandora, and using Waze the whole time. It was all working perfectly after that first hiccup. The Waze alerts came through Carplay and not the bluetooth on mine, as my phone disconnects from the cars bluetooth connection once it connects with Carplay. It all worked fine again this morning.

The only thing I noticed was some added tabs across the top of the Podcast screen. I didn't use them, but it looks like it should help in navigating inside the app instead of having to back out to change playlists. The whole system is definitely quirky, but it still beats the hell out of the garbage I had to deal with in my previous car.

·
Registered
81 Posts
pandora doesn't work when plugged into carplay with ios10
I had Pandora not work the first time I plugged in after the iOS 10 update. While the car was on and connected to the phone with CarPlay, I unplugged the phone and noticed that Pandora (on the phone) was asking for me to log in/reconnect. Once I did that, it worked fine.
Good luck.
Roy

·
Registered
58 Posts
Whether its iOS10 or Carplay I do not know but since the update to iOS10 I know that when I was running Waze rather than speaking the directions through carplay (and then defaulting to iPhone for music instead of radio) which I agree is its normal behaviour, it started speaking the alerts over the car speakers but in the display it showed it connecting as a bluetooth phonecall and each time it finished speaking the alerts or directions it showed 'bluetooth phone call ended' or something similar. I was not changing my connection some combination of carplay/mylink/iOS10 was doing it. There is a setting in Waze to 'prefer bluetooth' which I figured out may have been doing this and even though it was switched off before it somehow was now active so I am assuming it was forcing a carplay disconnect so it could 'prefer bluetooth'. I switched off that setting and also the spoken alerts so now i don't get this switching happening.

Another Carplay issue - but this was also present in iOS9.x.x - is that the speedo reading is cut in half ! I am going at 100Km/H and it shows 50. Unplug the USB cable to disconect carplay and it instantly shows the correct speed. I tried a couple of other 'speedo' apps and the behaviour was the same so its not a waze bug. apparently this is a known issue.

I do have to say that Apple Maps have now improved to a level where they are usable for me. still not as good as google or waze but getting there.
check in Waze settings->advanced settings->sound and make sure "prefer Bluetooth" is not checked. That forces Waze to deliver its audio over the "phone call" Bluetooth link.

·
Registered
425 Posts
check in Waze settings->advanced settings->sound and make sure "prefer Bluetooth" is not checked. That forces Waze to deliver its audio over the "phone call" Bluetooth link.
Yup - as I noted in my post - that setting seemed to be the cause. it was not checked in 9.3 but upgrading to 10.0.1 seemed to automatically check it and reset it. Seems a few other settings for other stuff also got reset to defaults as well ... and now my Box account within the Outlook App wants access granted almost daily .... sure the quirks will be worked out.

·
Registered
105 Posts
CarPlay cannot connect ever since iOS 10 update. Had it since the last PB and now the release version.

#FAIL

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premiere
383 Posts
CarPlay cannot connect ever since iOS 10 update. Had it since the last PB and now the release version.

#FAIL
Have you checked the normal workarounds? Use an Apple branded lightning cable. Turn off "iCloud Music Library" in Music Settings on the iPhone.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Have you checked the normal workarounds? Use an Apple branded lightning cable. Turn off "iCloud Music Library" in Music Settings on the iPhone.
I've always use OEM lightning cable in the car.
Don't know what iCloud Music Library is, as I don't see that in neither Music nor iCloud setting.

Most importantly, it was working fine before iOS 10.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Don't know what iCloud Music Library is, as I don't see that in neither Music nor iCloud setting.

In the settings > general > carplay entry do you see MyLink ? if so, maybe clicking it and forgetting this car then re-establishing the link may work ?

I have been using it since early betas too and it was only the last few where I had connection issues but apart from the odd random disconnect mine look to have been resolved by switching out the non-apple cable for the OEM cable and then checking that any of the apps I use do not have 'prefer bluetooth' setting ... have not had an issue with it not actually recognising carplay

·
Registered
105 Posts
In the settings > general > carplay entry do you see MyLink ? if so, maybe clicking it and forgetting this car then re-establishing the link may work ?
I did that once (forget then reconnect) during PB. Now that I have final version, I'll try it again. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premiere
383 Posts

Settings>Music>iCloud Music Library. If you are not using iCloud, then perhaps it does not show up. There is a known issue where a large iCloud music library will freeze CarPlay while it try to sync all the songs.

·
Registered
105 Posts
OK, So I tried removing the vehicle from CarPlay on the iPhone and tried to reconnect. Wouldn't work.

Then I went to the Settings in the Volt.
Settings / Apple CarPlay / Manage Apple CarPlay Devices.
Removed the iPhone from the list.

Then I could connect iPhone to the Volt.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts