GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One week after picking up my new 2015 Volt Premium from Carmax (where they said in writing that it had NO outstanding recalls), I had 2 of them taken care of at my local dealer. I brought it in because the MyChevrolet APP said that it had a Liftgate Strut Rod Detach #14274 recall. When I picked it up this afternoon, they had also performed the Emissions Noncompliance #14522. When I asked the Carmax person who sold it to me about this, she said the only recalls they get informed of are safety recalls from the NHTSA. You would think the hatch falling on your head would be a safety issue, but I digress. Anyway, it looks like they replaced the hatch struts, but they don't look much different than the old ones. The tech left a single edge razor blade in the cargo area. Maybe he had to cut the old ones out? As for the second recall, it appears they changed a charcoal canister and vent hose on the fuel tank. It looks like the original owner of this Volt didn't visit the dealer very much.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Sounds more to me like that Carmax dealership didn't want to spend the money to do these recalls. Emissions recalls are in the category of "don't sell the car" until fixed. Report that Carmax outlet to the NHTSA.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
A service bulletin isn't the same as a recall.

I had those fixes about 2.5 years ago.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Both are recalls, the razor blade was used to remove the new parts from the packaging.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Did you pay for these repairs?

Carmax is a used car dealer. They probably don’t have access to service recall data. Running a carfax report only gives you public safety recall information.

My ELR had the emissions recall done. I had no indication from GM or OnStar that it needed this service.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, I didn't pay a penny. But one of the reasons I went with Carmax was because I was under the impression that the cars they sell were totally gone over and all recalls and service programs taken care of.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Sounds more to me like that Carmax dealership didn't want to spend the money to do these recalls. Emissions recalls are in the category of "don't sell the car" until fixed. Report that Carmax outlet to the NHTSA.
And you shouldn’t talk about things you have no knowledge of...

·
Registered
11,416 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
One week after picking up my new 2015 Volt Premium from Carmax (where they said in writing that it had NO outstanding recalls), I had 2 of them taken care of at my local dealer. I brought it in because the MyChevrolet APP said that it had a Liftgate Strut Rod Detach #14274 recall. When I picked it up this afternoon, they had also performed the Emissions Noncompliance #14522. When I asked the Carmax person who sold it to me about this, she said the only recalls they get informed of are safety recalls from the NHTSA. You would think the hatch falling on your head would be a safety issue, but I digress. Anyway, it looks like they replaced the hatch struts, but they don't look much different than the old ones. The tech left a single edge razor blade in the cargo area. Maybe he had to cut the old ones out? As for the second recall, it appears they changed a charcoal canister and vent hose on the fuel tank. It looks like the original owner of this Volt didn't visit the dealer very much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts