GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
20,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Carmakers are struggling to maintain the quality of new vehicles as they install increasingly complex fuel-saving and “infotainment” devices, according to an industry survey.

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/8df7bcdc-9dc0-11e0-b30c-00144feabdc0.html

I admit, the reliability and longevity of all the computer code, modules and screens is a concern of mine (and the lack of a spare tire ...gotta throw that in there). Heck, just look at the little stuff like charge cords!

2011jdpower.jpg

·
Super Moderator
6,256 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
The spare tire is a non-issue to me. Other than an icepick through the sidewall during a labor dispute (which caused a slow leak and not a flat), I have not had a non-repairable flat since 1973. I have confidence the sealer kit will get me safely to a service facility. How many of you would drive far on a space-saver spare anyway? (Although GM has driven cars from Detroit to Phoenix on them to show it can be done). Other cars (including the Pontiac Solstice) have the repair kit. The vehicle, like all current-model vehicles, has a tire pressure monitor system, giving plenty of warning for most flats. Using the kit, rather than getting dirty jacking the car (and finding the hard-to-reach lift points) has a certain appeal to me.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I've had four non-repairable flats in 8.5 years I've had my car. In one case, even the wheel cracked. I'm hoping that the 55-series tires on the Volt will be more resistant than the 45-series on my current car. The low profile tire sidewalls don't deal well with potholes, which are often very hard to see at night in the rain. I've never gotten a flat with my 60-series winter tires, and I've driven as much on them as on the summers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts