GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(1) An option for delayed charging that simply allows the specification of allowed/disallowed charging times (does not involve departure time). Thus, for me, charging would begin at 12:00 midnight (off peak) and then when I get to work it would begin charging immediately without having to override delayed charging.

(2) Changes to the delayed charging override menu that appears when you open the charge door: The menu firsts gives you a choice of using delayed charge or overriding it. If you ignore the menu it remains in delayed charge mode. If you choose override, you then must choose between (temporarily) changing the departure time or choosing immediate charge. I suggest that the initial menu give you the choice of immediate charge or changing the departure time and ignoring the menu leaves it in delayed charge mode.

(3) Best idea for delayed charging: The car could remember the GPS location of my house and use delayed charging only when the car is at home.

(4) Also, the menu that allows override of delayed charge should appear whenever the button to open the charge door is pressed, regardless of whether the car is turned on.

(5) Lose the chrome ring around the Driver Information Center (speed readout,etc.). In the early afternoon the sun reflects off this and the glare in blinding! While we're talking about glare, how about a non-reflective surface on the top of the dash? Unfortunately, the Volt is not unique in having a dash whose reflection causes glare in the windshield.

(6) Larger armrests on sides of doors. Adjustable armrest between front seats, to slide back and forth.

(7) "Poor man's memory power seats" -- Position readouts for seat adjustments. Whenever one of the front seats are adjusted, a display would appear in the center stack that would show a position code corresponding to the seat adjustments. My wife and I would be able to easily return the seat to our own favorite settings. Electric motor not required.

(8) Quantitative readouts of power transfers to/from battery, motor and generator. Would include real-time display of MPG when using gas or miles per kilowatt-hour. If I were designing the display it would use analog type gauges with a steam-punk theme. The current power flow display has very little information.

(9) A cable I could pull to close the charge door without getting out of the car.

(10) A station wagon version of the body style or else a conventional trunk instead of the hatch back.

(11) A touch screen that doesn't show fingerprints. I've heard there was a coating to which fingerprints don't stick.

(12) Faster charge when using a level 2 charger. The car only pulls 14 Amps but level 2 chargers can supply up to 30 Amps. Even faster DC charging?

(13) I'm finding that when I press hard on the brake pedal, it goes down to such an angle that front of my shoe gets caught on the bracket that holds the brake pedal. This is really disconcerting in a panic stop situation and I'm concerned that it may be a safety issue.

(14) I'd like a longer timeout for remote start. Say 30 minutes instead of 10.

(15) At work I use the MyVOlt website to monitor charging status of my car. More than 50% of the time it is unable to get status information. I don't have a smart phone but my cell phone does accept text messages. I wish I could set it up to give me a text message when the charging is nearly complete.

(16) The hands-free phone should have a phone book option that appears on the screen that does not require a blue-tooth enabled cell phone.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I particularly second items (12) and (8). Item (12) is the only one in this list which directly enhances the distinguishing feature of the Volt, namely that you can plug it in. And it's particularly important because the Volt has no DC fast-charge (like 50 kW CHAdeMO). So that J1772 plug-in port is the only way you can pour electrons into the Volt, and it would be helpful if it could handle what appears to be the standard implementation for car chargers, 30 Amps. It wouldn't be as important for the Prius Plug-in for example, because its battery is so much smaller. As it is, the 2013 Leaf will be able to recharge its battery in roughly the same time as the Volt, even though the Volt battery is roughly half the capacity. I think this difference will be more noticed some years down the road when there are more public chargers where you might park for only an hour or two. At home, overnight, of course, it makes no difference.

There's no excuse for not implementing (8). It should be only a software effort. I like the kW displays in the Leaf -- it's an optional screen which less technically-interested drivers would never see if they weren't looking for it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Faster charging time

One of the reasons I'd like a faster charging time for my Volt is that I use a public charging station near work where I pay $0.99 per hour regardless of how much current is being drawn. If I could charge in half the time I'd pay have as much for each charge.

My daily commute is 40 miles each way. Currently, I figure as long as premium gas costs more than about $3.50 per gallon, it's cheaper to charge when I get to work rather than to buy gas for the trip home.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perhaps #9 (A cable to close the charge door) is a silly idea. But I'm still forgetting to close the charge door after unplugging and the reminder message saying I left it open doesn't appear until I've pulled into traffic and then I have to find a safe place to pull over so I can get out of the car and close it.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
My only desire would be that the controls be more intuitive and user friendly. Also that the NAV and A/C controls be completely independent of the stereo system so you could use those features without the radio coming on.

·
Registered
144 Posts
(1) An option for delayed charging that simply allows the specification of allowed/disallowed charging times (does not involve departure time). Thus, for me, charging would begin at 12:00 midnight (off peak) and then when I get to work it would begin charging immediately without having to override delayed charging.
I think you can do that, if you set it to "Delayed - Rate and Departure Time" and set it to charge during peak only, then it starts charging at the start of the off-peak time. Unlike "Delayed - Departure Time" it doesn't wait until some time near the end of the window, it will start right at the beginning of off-peak time. At least that's what it does for me. So start your off-peak time at midnight and end it mid-day and you'll charge at night at home and right away when you plug in at work.

·
Registered
291 Posts
(1), (2), (3), (4) – Non-issues for me. Charging options are OK, I just need a reliable OnStar link and the ability to select 12/8 AMP selection remotely.

(5), (6) – No issues for us.

(7) Just give us electrically adjustable seats, like any other can in the $40k-range.

(8) Nice to have, but other things more important. Like remembering your Drive/Charge mode. A new Dragster mode. Longer battery life. Things like that.

(9) No. Just a louder/different Alarm, with some animation on the screen.

(10) Current design is fine. We need a wiper.

(11) I use a wipe once a week.

(12) I use a regular 110, but I see the advantage of faster, more efficient charging.

(13) Never happened to me.

(14) I'd like a functional remote start to begin with. OnStar remote link takes MINUTES to start your car(when it doesn't run into some connection error).

(15) Again, a dysfunctional OnStar prevents most of us from programming charging alerts.

(16) I have a blue-tooth enabled phone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's a crazy idea that may or may not work: A decelerator pedal for your left foot. It would be shaped just like the accelerator pedal except when you press it with your left foot it engages regenerative braking in proportion to how far it is depressed. For additional braking you move your right foot to the conventional brake pedal in the center (no regen). The Chevy engineers went through a lot of trouble to integrate regenerative braking with the conventional brake. This would be much simpler to implement. This would be even easier to learn than using a clutch on a standard shift car; you don't need to learn how to feather the clutch as you start off from a standstill.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'd rather have solar-sensitve paint that could turn my car into a 200W solar panel. This extra power could help me drive back home from work each day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My suggestions:
Make it possible for people to sit comfortably in the back seat.
Make it possible for a tall person to sit in this car.
Make the battery capacity larger so that one could drive 60-80 miles on a charge.
Make the generator quieter when the car is running on gas.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Here's a crazy idea that may or may not work: A decelerator pedal for your left foot. It would be shaped just like the accelerator pedal except when you press it with your left foot it engages regenerative braking in proportion to how far it is depressed. For additional braking you move your right foot to the conventional brake pedal in the center (no regen). The Chevy engineers went through a lot of trouble to integrate regenerative braking with the conventional brake. This would be much simpler to implement. This would be even easier to learn than using a clutch on a standard shift car; you don't need to learn how to feather the clutch as you start off from a standstill.
Mine has that pedal! It is called the brake pedal.

It's regenerative up to what the system can handle, and then friction brakes past there.

No offense, but you idea is incredibly dangerous. Something that feels like a brake pedal but can't stop the car?

How do you know how much work GM engineers did to blend these on one pedal, and why is that a bad thing?

For me, I'd like the switch between N and L to be analog instead of digital, or at least have a few detents, so I could pick my level of regen.

·
Registered
291 Posts
My suggestions:
Make it possible for people to sit comfortably in the back seat.
Make it possible for a tall person to sit in this car.
Make the battery capacity larger so that one could drive 60-80 miles on a charge.
Make the generator quieter when the car is running on gas.
I vote for Battery capacity. Personally, I can't even tell when the generator is on... and while the other issues might be true for some (tall or heavy) people, I've not had this comment from anyone who test drove in my car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Make a bigger car. My head touches the headliner and my shoulder touches the B pillar. How about a mini van or other vehicle that would hold at least 6 adults. How about having enough room for golf clubs without having to fold down a seat.

The Volt is a GREAT idea just needs to be more useful for me to buy. Love to have something like this in a bigger package.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would like to see cupholders that would fit a 40 ounce

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here's a crazy idea that may or may not work: A decelerator pedal for your left foot. It would be shaped just like the accelerator pedal except when you press it with your left foot it engages regenerative braking in proportion to how far it is depressed....
I like the way the Nissan Leaf essentially provides this feature in ECO mode. It remaps the accelerator pedal so that there is increased "simulated engine drag" when you let up the accelerator pedal. If you let up the accelerator pedal all the way at high speed, you get a lot of regen (maybe 20 kW of regen out of a possible 30 kW at 60 mph), but you never exceed the max (that is, friction brakes will never be applied). ECO mode also reduces the acceleration you get as you beging to depress the accelerator beyond the regen range, though you can still get full power if you push it all the way down. Apparently ECO mode helps promote more regen braking changing your habit to brake more gradually, which saves you from having to move your foot to the brake pedal. The only disadvantage seems to be that you can't "coast" as easily -- to coast you have to keep the pedal depressed at just the right point. And, of course, the car doesn't feel as "peppy" in ECO mode, but that's just a perception based on the accelerator pedal remapping.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Another vote for an internal way to close the charge door #9

Also I turn the heated seats on by accident when adjusting the radio etc. very annoying.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I like the way the Nissan Leaf essentially provides this feature in ECO mode. It remaps the accelerator pedal so that there is increased "simulated engine drag" when you let up the accelerator pedal. If you let up the accelerator pedal all the way at high speed, you get a lot of regen (maybe 20 kW of regen out of a possible 30 kW at 60 mph), but you never exceed the max (that is, friction brakes will never be applied). ECO mode also reduces the acceleration you get as you beging to depress the accelerator beyond the regen range, though you can still get full power if you push it all the way down. Apparently ECO mode helps promote more regen braking changing your habit to brake more gradually, which saves you from having to move your foot to the brake pedal. The only disadvantage seems to be that you can't "coast" as easily -- to coast you have to keep the pedal depressed at just the right point. And, of course, the car doesn't feel as "peppy" in ECO mode, but that's just a perception based on the accelerator pedal remapping.
Yup, just like the Volt's L mode. Ooops.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts