GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My volt came with a cargo net and for the life of me I can't figure out how to use it! It's a circular loop of 1" belt that is adjustable in length, has two metal clips on it and a net in the middle that's only connected on two sides. There's no loops or anything to connect to the normal "hammock" posts in the trunk and with the two clips on it (instead of four) I can't use it to hold down anything either. What's the correct way to use this monstrosity?! Can anyone provide pictures?

·
Registered
772 Posts
I find the cargo net just gets in the way, especially when I fold down a seat to fit my cello in the Volt. In the last 3 cars I've owned over the past 25 years, I had no use for cargo nets and threw them away. If I'm worried about small items rolling around, I put them on the floor in front of an empty seat.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
My volt came with a cargo net and for the life of me I can't figure out how to use it! It's a circular loop of 1" belt that is adjustable in length, has two metal clips on it and a net in the middle that's only connected on two sides. There's no loops or anything to connect to the normal "hammock" posts in the trunk and with the two clips on it (instead of four) I can't use it to hold down anything either. What's the correct way to use this monstrosity?! Can anyone provide pictures?
What you describe does not match my OEM cargo net. Mine has no adjustments and no metal clips. Here is the net for a Gen 1, but I think the Gen 2 is the same.

·
Administrator
19,969 Posts
I have never used my cargo net. Seemed like a good idea, but in practice I never found it useful on my 2011. It sounds like Gen 2 has something a bit different. Mine is not adjustable, just a stretchy net with loops at the 4 corners, The two loops on the left hook onto a sidewall knob, ditto for the right side. This forms a hammock or sling.

Gen1 cargo net.jpg

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I have never used my cargo net. Seemed like a good idea, but in practice I never found it useful on my 2011. It sounds like Gen 2 has something a bit different. Mine is not adjustable, just a stretchy net with loops at the 4 corners, The two loops on the left hook onto a sidewall knob, ditto for the right side. This forms a hammock or sling.
My 2013 has a black cloth cargo cloth with 4 hooks.

Picture or it isn't a problem.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Anyone with a gen2 and a net chime in here?

I'll post a picture when I get home from work.
I already did. While I posted a picture of the Gen 1, my 2017 Premium cargo net is NOT adjustable and has NO metal clips.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I already did. While I posted a picture of the Gen 1, my 2017 Premium cargo net is NOT adjustable and has NO metal clips.
Ahh. Since you said "I think the gen2 is the same" and posted a picture of a gen1 I took that as you not having any experience with a gen2 and its cargo net. My mistake!

·
Registered
6,661 Posts

View attachment 116922
Perfect picture. I just bought a Gen II and they do not come with a cargo net unless ordered for $60. But when I asked where it was they went out and searched 6 other Gen II Volts and came back empty handed. I had to point out it's an option. So I took the one out of my 2013 and it clipped right in.

There are two metal clips on the bottom that clip to the two rings embedded in the rear plastic trim panel and there are two stretch cords that you slip over the plastic buttons. Saved me $60 and we do use it often to keep stuff from rolling around in the hatch area.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have both with my 2014, the cargo cover that makes the roof and the black cargo net. I agree, the "proper use of the net is a mystery.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a 2017 Premier and it has Four plastic clips and zippers down each side. I am guessing the idea is to unzip the sides and clip the clips to the four metal tie downs if you want to use the net to hold something on the floor. It you want to use the net like a hammock to hold a few items, you zip up the zippers, don't use the clips and connect the elastic ties to the two circular posts.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a 2017 Premier and it has Four plastic clips and zippers down each side. I am guessing the idea is to unzip the sides and clip the clips to the four metal tie downs if you want to use the net to hold something on the floor. It you want to use the net like a hammock to hold a few items, you zip up the zippers, don't use the clips and connect the elastic ties to the two circular posts.
You Sir, are a genius. The zipper was what was getting me.

·
207 Posts
Where was that net , or was it an extra you ordered? I just had the stretch cover in the charger's compartment in my 2017 Premier, did they forget it?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Where was that net , or was it an extra you ordered? I just had the stretch cover in the charger's compartment in my 2017 Premier, did they forget it?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
The Cargo Net is an option. About $60. It can be found cheaper on Ebay or maybe some GM Parts Sites.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, embarrassing story time... When I traded in my Scion while purchasing my volt I grabbed the cargo net out of the scion and stored it with the charge cord in my Volt. Totally forgot about that and assumed the net I had came with my Volt!

Derp. *facepalms*

1 - 18 of 18 Posts