GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the four cargo cover plastic hooks broke today just from the stock elastic cargo cover pulling on it. Those round hooks unscrew a few degrees and can be taken off. There are two plastic tabs that lock into the plastic cargo sidewall when the hook is twisted. Anyway, just from the force of the cargo net it broke the hook. I wasn't even in the car when it happened. This isn't a big deal if the dealer has these hooks available, because without all four hooks, that stretchy cargo cover doesn't cover much of the cargo area. It's funny but when I first saw the cargo cover I said to myself there is no way that this thing is big enough to cover the area behind the rear seats :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
This was one of the surprises when taking delivery of the Volt. I imagined a rolling cover like other vehicles, but this undersized cloth is one item that GM needs to improve on next years Volt. If the hooks break under normal use, imagine if some items are placed on top of the cover!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The part being discussed here is the stock fabric cargo area cover that is supplied with the Volt.

·
Registered
316 Posts
So I know this is an old thread, but it's the only one I could find...

One of my cargo cover hooks broke the other day as I was pulling that corner of the cover off so I could put my rucksack inside. Silly and naive perhaps, but I was surprised as hell. It's a solid piece of (maybe?) ABS and it broke right off just under the ball. I could not find the piece in a cursory search, and decided to stop off at the dealer on the way home. No surprise the part is not in stock, but the price? $9 bucks and change! Two with tax was over 20 dollars! It's been over a week and I don't have the part yet, so I'll check a little later this week. It’s the ONLY thing that’s gone south in 17 months and almost 16k miles, so that nice, but what a thing to fail!

·
Administrator
20,220 Posts
No surprise the part is not in stock, but the price? $9 bucks and change! Two with tax was over 20 dollars!
The little rubber air flaps under the driver and passenger door edge (two per door) are $3 each. Parts are where the money is.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Three of the hooks broke off on my cargo cover. Dealer replaced it under warranty. To prevent them from breaking again, I took them off and filled the backside with a two part epoxy.

·
Administrator
20,220 Posts
Three of the hooks broke off on my cargo cover. Dealer replaced it under warranty. To prevent them from breaking again, I took them off and filled the backside with a two part epoxy.
Huh, interesting idea. I may do the same after I take a close look at them. Of course, I don't use mine to hang wet laundry, haha.

·
Registered
652 Posts
This was one of the surprises when taking delivery of the Volt. I imagined a rolling cover like other vehicles, but this undersized cloth is one item that GM needs to improve on next years Volt. If the hooks break under normal use, imagine if some items are placed on top of the cover!
I can't imagine placing items on top of the cover. What would be the point? It's incredibly flimsy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have 19k miles on my 2012 Volt, and I had two hooks break over 21 months. I thought it might be a fluke the first time, but after the second am convinced they are just poorly made. I paid around $6 to replace the first; having to go to the dealer was more annoying than the price. When the second broke, I ordered four replacements so I'd have some in reserve.
I didn't think to ask if they are covered under warranty.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Do what I did. Fill the back of the hook with epoxy. I have not broken a hook since.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Does anybody have a part number for these hooks? Or the official name/description of the part? I had one break over the weekend, when attaching the (rarely used) cover when I had to park the car with luggage inside.

That's one of the things I absolutely despise about my 97 Blazer, cheap plastic parts that crack and break. I hope my Volt isn't going to offer more of the same.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I saw the invoice this week-end while looking for my volt paperwork. I'll be back in town Thursday and will look and post if you still need it.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Ok, I can't stay out of this any longer. Get rid of the problem. Get rid of the rag! Get a VoltShelf!

Steve

·
Administrator
20,220 Posts
Does anybody have a part number for these hooks? Or the official name/description of the part? I had one break over the weekend, when attaching the (rarely used) cover when I had to park the car with luggage inside.
"cargo screen retainer" If you find a part number, please let us know

·
Registered
962 Posts
Dang, I woulda thought that if anyone knew the answer to where to buy it would have been Steve.
Sorry, Dave. I've never had to find out where to get one of those hooks. In fact, I have NEVER had a report from even one customer of a hook breaking when used with a VoltShelf! Another side benefit to having one.

Steve

·
Administrator
20,220 Posts
Yup, #7 is a winner! Thanks Mister Dave.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts