GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be common sense, but this morning, there was about an inch or two of snow on my Volt's hatch - enough such that I could open it without cleaning it off.

I opened it, it seemed to stay up, so I reached in to get what I needed, and a few seconds later the hatch came down on my head fairly hard - the point is, even though the hatch seems like it may support a moderate snow load, take caution so it doesn't come down on you. Or don't be lazy like me, and brush it off first.

· Registered
3,660 Posts
LOL I had a snow situation on a car several years ago. The roof had about 4 or 5 inches on it. Something slid off of the armrest and hit the sun roof switch. Before I figured out what had happened the car was full of snow! I too should have brushed the car off.

· Registered
287 Posts
LOL I had a snow situation on a car several years ago. The roof had about 4 or 5 inches on it. Something slid off of the armrest and hit the sun roof switch. Before I figured out what had happened the car was full of snow! I too should have brushed the car off.
Now that would be funny to see, but I bet you did not think it was to funny at the time.

· Registered
3,055 Posts
In NH it is actually against the law to drive around with significant snow on your roof. I have seen first hand what happens when you don't clean it off. I have seen large chunks of ice fly off a car and right through the windshield of the following car.

· Registered
1,562 Posts
In NH it is actually against the law to drive around with significant snow on your roof. I have seen first hand what happens when you don't clean it off. I have seen large chunks of ice fly off a car and right through the windshield of the following car.
Being from MA, I wish that law would get more enforcement around here! I even clear the roof of my Suburban! Nothing pisses me off more than some jerk pulling their minivan onto the highway and filling the road with a hazardous cloud of snow mixed with ice chunks. (sorry for stereotyping careless minivan drivers). If I can get the roof of my 3/4 ton suburban or my old 1 ton van cleared (I use a long handled push broom as a snow rake), so can you!!!

Thanks for the hatch/weight warning though!

· Registered
216 Posts

· Administrator
23,406 Posts
I bought a snow "plow" at AutoZone last year that uses soft foam-like blades (like a garden hoe) to clear off the windows without scratching the car.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Being from MA, I wish that law would get more enforcement around here! I even clear the roof of my Suburban! Nothing pisses me off more than some jerk pulling their minivan onto the highway and filling the road with a hazardous cloud of snow mixed with ice chunks. (sorry for stereotyping careless minivan drivers). If I can get the roof of my 3/4 ton suburban or my old 1 ton van cleared (I use a long handled push broom as a snow rake), so can you!!!

Thanks for the hatch/weight warning though!
Fortunately I was not driving before cleaning it off, just left something in the back that I needed to get out. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.