GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I hope someone can help me solve this mistery. This is the third time my Ampera give me serious problems after car wash ( high pressure, not tunnel). I start the car after the wash, a glitch on display usually apear, sometimes, battery levels look different, sometime my radio doesn't work, this time both display are black for 10 sec then drive normal, when I get home and park, radio restart and engine light came on. Try to shut down but nothing, try lift the hood to see if the ICE kick in, nothing, keep start button pressed for 10-20 sec, nothing but "initializing, wait to switch gear"...but can't turn off. Car let me switch gear but no responce in acceleration, no handbrake working...serious stuff.
So I disconnect the 12v battery, reconnect and for now everything seems ok.
Is this happened to others?
Thanks

·
Administrator
21,229 Posts
Seems like the high pressure water is getting forced someplace it should not go. You don't say whether you are spraying the engine bay with the hood open, but GM recommends against that.

Perhaps wash the car in a different way, or otherwise carry a 10MM wrench with you to disconnect and reconnect the 12V battery after your power washes.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never wash engine with pressure, when I wash in in gas station on Tunnel wash I have never had any problem, maybe jcanoe is right, something to do with bad chassis ground. My car had issues with 12v battery since new and I had some glitches with radio...
I don't know if there is any connection, but after first problem I put the car on charge and get " ! " red flashing and 3 3 1 green lights code. In Voltec charger manual it sais it's a bad grounding on car or outlet. Weird that I had same problem a while ago, one day after washing the car, that was fixed from my house electric panel, ground was loose. Now My car charge on one circuit, on other don't, but after a shortage in my hole residential area that last an hour, everything back to normal. I guessed that I didn't have enough power on outlet caused by a network fluctuation.
Sorry for the long story

·
Registered
125 Posts
I suspect for safety reasons, high voltage doesn't extend much beyond the battery itself until the 12V system senses a safe path free of ground faults and/or grounded high voltage connections.
I'm not surprised to see a system like that just lock out when it senses a fault. This is a common protection characteristic of many electronic devices. A disconnect and reconnect providing reset isn't surprising. In this case whatever got wet dried out. I'll bet codes are set.
I would still try to find out what codes were set, if possible, just in case it's a problem heavy rain would duplicate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts