GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have volunteered to show my Volt at the Tyler, TX MakersFaire later this month. It dawns on me that the car will be sitting but not exactly running, from 9 - 5. I would expect any auto battery to run down over that period.

At auto shows they use a trickle charger to make the car seem capable of being used, for demo purposes of course. Assuming I can get access to an outlet... should I just use the 120VAC EVSE or would a trickle charger actually be of any advantage?
- Could I damage the inverter by running it in "idle" for 8 hours straight?
- Does the car have a "demo" mode for the info-tainment stack?

Other ideas:
- have a laptop playing some captured Youtube videos in a loop. (again, needs power all day)
- Poster with tag lines, QR code, Name brand and logo, etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or ideas on how to best display the car?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Just plug in the regular 110 volt charger to an outlet. Then the car can be played with/left on all day with no problem. The car will not allow shifting into gear while the charger is plugged in. And every other feature will work, even air conditioning and heating, although those should not be left on for long. (Drains the battery) As long as you charge it up fully before the start, and keep the hood closed so the engine won't start, you should be fine.

Once the car is off, and the charge cord is plugged in and charging, the car can be turned off and on without affecting the charger.

You may have to start the instant on charging mode if the battery range level drops below 5 miles or so, then it can recharge it up to full again.

Can't hurt to have a good DVD playing on the center screen also.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Unfortunately the 2013 MY does not do DVDs.

Maybe a portable DVD player playing videos of Volts being tested in pre-production.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Just have fun!

Just be prepared to talk about your EV and wonderful experiences. Think about printing some small business cards with relevant info. You could list this website, plugshare.com, others?

Apparently GM did something with the owners at the St. Louis car show. Dr. Michael Murphy was involved and he sent me this message:

"I initiated the idea this year, went through my dealer (Kathy Federico, daughter of Jack Schmitt and the G.M. of the Jack Schmitt Chevrolet dealership) who went to her regional director, and the queries went up the line and came back down positive. 5 of us attended the show for about a cumulative total of 70 person-hours over the 4 days, covering most of the open hours of the show. We had CROWDS around us. I printed out the Voltstats pages for the 5 of us as well as “Most Driven Volt”, the top 10 mileage Volts on Voltstats, and the top 10 EV mile Volts on Voltstats, and the St. Louis area Voltstats owners and had these in sheet protectors in a 3 ring binder. If I had it to do over, I would have printed out another page as a cover for the binder that would have shown all federal, state (Illinois has a $3995 rebate), GM, and dealer incentives (at the time of the show the incentives for an Illinois purchaser totaled $15,000 plus 0% financing for 72 months!!!!)

When I get home tonight I will send you the files that we used, as well as an example of the nametags I made up for us. They provided us with “Volt Owner” tags but they looked almost exactly like the Sales force tags and they were not liking that at all!"

Michael Murphy, OD
4933 Benchmark Centre Dr., ste D
Swansea, IL 62226
618-628-3939
fax 618-628-3959
[email protected]

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've worked with Mike at the last two St. Louis Auto Shows. For both of them, we had our VoltStats screenshots printed and laminated. FedEx/Kinko's does a *great* job at laminating, and it's only $2 per sheet.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cq9ip1ydi46ic99/Mike's Earth Day Volt Information-2.docx
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qevhf8tb0ixc8ii/John's Earth Day Volt Information-11 Dec 2012.docx

At the last show, I printed out the St. Louis Group statistics as well, making it easier to show how the % of projected EV driving affects the MPG that can be expected.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b1k75xnzpia8g12/STL Volt Group Statistics.jpg

Having your own car is a huge bonus. The Volt we had to work with was a corpse, with no power whatsoever. Without us there, the sticker price was the only obvious difference between the Volt and the Cruze parked next to it... GM makes no effort to differentiate the Volt from their other cars at the Auto Shows (speaking for St. Louis, anyway), which was extremely disappointing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
...Dr. Mike and one of the other St. Louis Volt owners helped me with several questions regarding the Volt...enough to "push me over the edge" and purchase one. Without them there, the sales person who was present, while a very nice fellow, did very little to entice me into purchasing my ZZAPPA.

We owners are the best thing GM has going for them in terms of evangalizing the merits of the Volt. We work for free, know more about the car than the GM sales force, and are trying to "sell" the car because it is something we understand, enjoy, and believe in. I'm working on a "sale" at work right now. ;)

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Having done a number of car shows for Lincoln during the first three years of the LS, the best tip I can give you is to wear comfy shoes that you can stand in for hours on concrete floors. :)

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Basics - Make sure everything is clean! People will want to see it all! I spend many hours the day before a show. The day of the show, I think hardly anybody noticed all the cleaning work I did, but I notice, and I also notice when other cars are not clean.

I usually put a good coat of wax on the car at the beginning of the 'good weather' season. Then wash (and dry) the day before the show, and vacuum or wipe down everything you can get to. I use Meguire's detailing spray and a bag of cheap microfiber towels. On show day I get there a little early then use the detailing spray to wipe down anything on the outside that got dirty on the drive to the show.

I need to wear a large brim hat and plenty of sunscreen. Not stylish, but I'm sensitive to being out in the sun all day.

As to Volt specific tips, I'll let others speak to what to do - I'm listening! Plan on bringing the Volt to a couple of shows this year!
One thought I had is to keep the key in your pocket - turn the car on and it will stay on until somebody turns it off, but they won't be able to restart it.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You may have to start the instant on charging mode if the battery range level drops below 5 miles or so, then it can recharge it up to full again.

Good Tips! But alas, they took the DVD capability out of the 2013 model at least. I ran out in my socks last night to try it! I have the Bose upgrade too, but no joy. Seems like GM took a lot out of the infotainment stack: HD, DVD, wonder what else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts