GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems counterintuitive, but advanced safety features can actually increase insurance costs.

That's because when such cars do get in crashes, the repairs are more expensive — thanks to the suite of sensors and computers that make these features possible. Everything from bumpers, headlights, and sideview mirrors have more sensors, and more expense to repair.

"At least thus far, the improvements in safety and accident avoidance hasn't been significant enough to overtake the increase in cost to repair vehicles," says Michael Klein, the president of personal insurance at Travelers. The increase in repair costs gets passed on to consumers, he says.

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/15/728256381/why-safer-cars-dont-lead-to-cheaper-car-insurance-yet

So you pay extra for the safety packages and then pay more for insurance! Auto-braking may be an exception, that may help et a lower rate. The article does advise you to shop around, and that the extra cost may come down in the future after there is a longer history in the industry.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yep, it's the same reason that the Volt is more to insure than a typical car... there's more expensive parts to repair when it's in an accident.

And I'll agree on the sensors too. On my 2014, not only was the windshield expensive to replace when it cracked, due to the forward collision warning system and lane departure warning camera, it also required a $250 charge to re-calibrate the system. Insurance paid for it after my deductible, but the total cost to them was around $900.

The crazy headlight assemblies are so expensive too. My parents hit a deer with their F-150 a while back, and the headlights were almost $1200 each to replace.

One would hope that all these safety features would start decreasing medical costs from collisions and accidents, but I think medical costs are rising at too fast of a rate to get a reduction in our rates.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Size affects cost. My Ford Excursion had a much higher liability but much lower collision than my car did. Which had lower liability bodily injury and higher collision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Size affects cost. My Ford Excursion had a much higher liability but much lower collision than my car did. Which had lower liability bodily injury and higher collision.
Sure, lots of things affect costs including driving record, purchase price, where you live, etc.

But the article is essentially saying, all things being equal, a new vehicle with lots of safety systems may end up costing more for insurance due to increased repair costs when there actually is an accident. The vehicle may be safer and avoid some accidents, but when there is an accident, it will cost more to repair.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Sure we pay more for safety, both before and after, but presumably, we drivers and passengers are alive or less injured so we can pay for that safety.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
We say that in aviation there's no such thing as a little fixing for a few bucks. Unfortunately, that has spread to motor vehicles. Ran over a fox with my Bolt, just plastics damage on the left front of the car, $1500. Even if the Bolt had all the forward looking geegaws I doubt any of that stuff works against small animals strikes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts