GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I know there are several posts about people adding LED lights to their car, both interior and exterior, as well as "hacking" the Driving lights to stay on, but I was hoping I could get some fresh insight on this topic.

I want to go LED for my interior lights, as well as for my Headlights. Does anyone have any recommendations for brands and sizes? I'm kind of a noob with owning a car (I'm only 22 and my dad did all of the 'maintenance' on the cars I got to drive), so I'm just hoping to get some insight on all of this.

I also am thinking about doing an Oil change after I get back from New York, and would like to do it myself (I want to become more self-sustaining). I know it's a 10mm ratchet, and all of that, but what brand of oil filters do you guys use and recommend? Also what brand of Oil?

Lastly, I'm in the market soon to be putting tires on the ol' gal. I prefer comfort over efficiency, which includes loudness, handling, and overall ride. I know there are some good tires that give more range, but I'd be willing to sacrifice range for comfort. I live in Ohio currently and probably in the near future (unless my job relocates me, which I'm not sure if they plan to now that I'm finished with my schooling).

As you can see, I'm new to this whole car owning ordeal, and would like to take better care of my cars than my dad did and make sure I service it accordingly. I've owned my 2012 Volt Premium now for almost a full year, and I am due for an oil change as well as probably tires (if not now, soon).

If anyone has any tips for me as well for being a car owner aside the obvious, and maybe things that normally would apply but don't quite because it's the Volt (Breaks don't need replaced as often, etc), I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks,
Cameron

·
Registered
902 Posts
Tires for Ohio could be a winter tire, such as Michelin X-Ice. Oil is always full synthetic with me. Filters should be the best, most expensive that your Auto Zone, NAPA, or other reliable supplier will sell you. Drive slowly. Slow to less than 45 MPH when driving on snow and ice. Be patient. Use your turn signal. Do not use a cell phone while driving. Give all vehicles many car lengths of following distance. Give fuel trucks a quarter mile of following distance. Always know where you are headed or be extremely patient in making moves to correct your wrong turns. Never do a U-turn when a trip around the block without quick, unexpected maneuvers, will provide a safer result. Never insist that you must cross four lanes of traffic in less than one block to an intersection. Always allow the packs of traffic to go ahead of you to avoid the multi-vehicle crash for which they are destined.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Do NOT drive your car to the OSU-UM game if it's in Michigan...:)

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
I put on Continental TrueContact tires last fall and have been very happy with them. They are one of the cheaper LRR options as well, so that was a big plus.
For oil, go full synthetic, I've used Mobil 1 or Castrol on every car for the past 15 years or so. For the filter, I usually just go with the Fram xtraguard or toughguard. 15 years on various cars and never had a problem with them.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I agree with emartin00 - go with Continental Truecontacts. I have their predecessor on my car now (ProContact with EcoPlus) and they did all you asked and more while still delivering very respectable fuel/battery economy (as good or better than OEM FuelMax's). I will be ordering a set of these for my Volt in the near future as, after 91,000 miles I'm almost down to the wear bars. I've looked at the reports on Tire Rack and the Truecontacts, which replace my older ProContacts, look to be the best bet going for a balanced all weather tire (even decent performance in light snow/ice situations). As for oil changes, can't help you there - don't have a way to jack up the car and get underneath it so I just let the dealer do the oil - still have 38% on my last oil change - probably need to get it changed at about 170K miles at this rate (will have to do the coolant change-out before that - 150K miles - first maintenance other than tire rotations or oil changes - asked my dealership how much it would run and they had no idea - mine will be the first they've ever had to do!).

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I may not have a Volt, but I do own and have serviced GM cars since 1969 (my Dad's 1967 Olds Cutlass Supreme). As other have posted, use a full synthetic oil such as Mobil 1 which I use since 1981. And for the oil filter, get the GM recommended AC oil filter as the minimum (my Equinox uses the PF47 filter). Read through the maintenance section of your Volt Owner manual.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I know it's a 10mm ratchet, and all of that, but what brand of oil filters do you guys use and recommend? Also what brand of Oil?
Mobil1, Amsoil, and royal Purple in 5w30 (0w30 for extreme cold) all have good lab data and meet Volt requirements, but I don't use any of them in my car. I use 5w20 Motorcraft Synthetic Blend because it has really good lab results and it's really cheap (just a heads up, the 5w30 flavor that Volt requires in Motorcraft Synthetic Blend label is not as good as 5w20, so I would avoid it for the Volt). Wix for oil filters is a good choice.

Lastly, I'm in the market soon to be putting tires on the ol' gal.
I had Michelin Primacy MXV4's in my LEAF. They were really good tires, between wet/dry/snow traction, tread wear, silence, comfort, and rolling resistance- all very good. They aren't ultra-high performance summer tires like I have in my gas car, but they worked well for the LEAF.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts