GM Volt Forum banner

Car not charging after "stale fuel" message (2013 Volt)

582 Views 10 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  JuneBug
Hi, hoping someone has a suggestion. I received a stale fuel message, so used gas until about 1/8 tank left, then refueled until 3/4 full. Since then my car is able to run on the battery, but my car won't charge (even though the dashboard charge light does turn green and chirp). I've tried it 3 times, but the battery won't actually charge. Haven't been able to see anything similar on previous posts. Thanks so much.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
317 Posts
CSAK,

looks like you have an EV qualified Chevy dealer diagnostic fee in your future. Does your Volt have any check engine codes? Check engine light? I'm not sure if the charging system is covered by the Voltec warranty or not but someone on this forum can chip in if they know that answer.

Stephen

Hi, hoping someone has a suggestion. I received a stale fuel message, so used gas until about 1/8 tank left, then refueled until 3/4 full. Since then my car is able to run on the battery, but my car won't charge (even though the dashboard charge light does turn green and chirp). I've tried it 3 times, but the battery won't actually charge. Haven't been able to see anything similar on previous posts. Thanks so much.

· Registered
2015 Red Volt
2,294 Posts
I don’t think the Fuel Maintenance Mode has anything to do with your charging problem. Try using a different EVSE or charging station.

• Helpful
Reactions: CSAK and scottf200

· Administrator
23,461 Posts
moved to Problems...

Reactions: CSAK

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CSAK,

looks like you have an EV qualified Chevy dealer diagnostic fee in your future. Does your Volt have any check engine codes? Check engine light? I'm not sure if the charging system is covered by the Voltec warranty or not but someone on this forum can chip in if they know that answer.

Stephen
Hi Stephen. No check engine message.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don’t think the Fuel Maintenance Mode has anything to do with your charging problem. Try using a different EVSE or charging station.
Thanks, planning to test that this week (but it’s strange that the green light turns on the the car chirps so I don’t think the issue is the charger)? I did notice that the car wouldn't charge while I was running down the gas, so thought it might be related somehow.

· Registered
2,339 Posts
Thanks, planning to test that this week (but it’s strange that the green light turns on the the car chirps so I don’t think the issue is the charger)? I did notice that the car wouldn't charge while I was running down the gas, so thought it might be related somehow.
During a Fuel Maintenance Mode, the Volt will not use grid power from the battery until you do something about the "old" gas, so if you plugged into the wall on the evening the FMM first started, the battery would have been fully charged the next morning and would remain fully charged throughout the FMM, i.e., the car would not charge the already full battery while you were running down the gas... that’s normal behavior.

Your first post makes no sense. You say that after you added new gas to end the FMM, your car "is able to run on the battery, but my car won’t charge." That suggests the adding of the new gas was able to end the FMM , and the car went back to normal operation, but even after you started driving on battery power again, the car won’t charge. How much driving "on the battery" have you done since the FMM ended, 20-30+ electric miles? Enough to deplete the battery, so that now you are again using gas each time you drive? What does the kWh Used in the energy usage display say? Or are you still "running on battery" that was there when the FMM ended, and just have not driven far enough to deplete the battery since the FMM was ended?

If your 2013 Volt’s battery is now depleted, try this. Start it, switch to Mountain Mode while parked. The engine should start, and in ~15 minutes, using ~0.4 gallons of gas, should recharge ~4 bars of power into the battery, and then the engine should shut itself off. Now restart the car, and that gives your Gen 1 Volt ~4 bars of battery power (the kWh Used will not increase when you use it because it is not grid power). If that works, you car can still charge, it just can’t charge from the wall plug for some reason or other.

· Registered
44 Posts
I have similar issues with that stale fuel message and won't charge, but basically just run the existing fuel in the down second time around til it's empty then refuel and you should be able to charge then. Basically it took twice run down of fuel for things to return to normal

· Registered
2015 Red Volt
2,294 Posts
Hmm, interesting. Thank you.
Make absolutely sure when you add new gas to the tank that you have shut down the Volt. If it’s powered up while refueling, it won’t recognize the new fuel and won’t cancel FMM.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts