GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a '17 Chevy Volt Premiere I bought in Sept. '16. Love the car!! But I have a noise I get when I lift my foot off the accelerator, coming from under the dash, just right of center I think. Kind of an "eennn" sound. Been there a while, some times less prominent than others. Don't know if its the colder weather now, but it seems to be louder now....starting to bug me a little. Anyone know what causes that sound? Sounds like the power from regen going into a box or something may be causing it?

Also, about a month ago the dealer turned my rotors, brakes were making some noise when I went to back up or at slow speeds. They said because the brakes not used a lot the top surface had some corrosion and was delaminating (think that was the word they used). Well, about 10 days ago I had an alignment done too (because I had to get two new front tires, one had a nail puncture they could not fix)..... Well, with in the past week I been getting a loud "thunking" sound front the right front tire area (sounds like a metal part hitting a metal part), and maybe the back right tire area. At first I thought it was coming from the front, but last night and today sounds like right-front. Waiting for dealer to call me back to see when they can get my Volt back into look at it. Am wonder if during brake job or alignment something wasn't tightened back. If anyone had a similar issue or an idea what it might be please let me know. The dealer has been pretty good to deal with, don't want to knock them. But I do want to get the top to issues resolved.

Anyway, if anyone has thoughts on the above noises please let me know.

Thanks,
Jeff-

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
In my 16 now have a kind of creaking sound relating to regen whenever engaged pressing down or lifting off the accelerator in L. There are recent threads talking about loose nuts, washers or bolts near the axles or the “dog bone” bracket/mount near the transmission being a potential cause. Other potential cause is a problem with the axle itself or cv joints. My car has about 21,000 miles. My sounds are getting louder. I am going to bring my volt in for a look soon, particularly before my b2b expires in December.

https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=326571

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I took the car in today and they said that the sway bar link was the problem. They replaced that. So more than likely whatever you’re hearing is related to something in the suspension system of the car not the voltec part of the car. The sway bar link unfortunately did not eliminate the noise. Must be another suspension issue tech and I both think.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Today they replaced the other link. Issue persisted. So tomorrow they’re going to replace the axle. The technician said he thought initially that the axle and related issues were limited to the G1. But this is a 16 G2. So just letting everybody know…

·
Registered
125 Posts
Both my 14 and 16 volts have some subtle rattling sound under the dash on the driver side. it sounds like a small piece of rock falls in a cup or container and shakes as the car drives. most of time it does not appear, but will be heard from time to time. It does not really bother me, but I wish I could figure out why. Sometimes I felt maybe it is the wind blowing below the windshield to the hood.

There was another similar rattling sound on the front passenger side, which I identified as the reading light cover on the top panel that was loosened. With some fiddling, that sound disappeared.

if you google "rattling sound chevy site:gm-volt.com", you can see many previous reports on various noise with the volt, most of which were minor and subtle.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rattling+sound+chevy+site:gm-volt.com

·
Registered
605 Posts
'Tiz the achilles heel of the silent car: you hear every rattle. I have one tiny rattle at the top of the dash where the little lip on top of the speedo area sticks out. I can only hear it with the radio off but if I squeeze that little lip with my fingers, it goes away. I've been meaning to slip a small piece of foam in there or something to stop it but it just doesn't bother me enough to take the effort to do it. Although somehow I took the effort to write about it... so maybe eventually. :)

Mike

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to follow up on this, the intermittent banging noise turned out to be the front right strut mount. Dealer replaced it under warranty. Took several months and a few trips to dealer to finally figure it out. My dealer was actually great, I don't want to knock them, at all. They even had to contact GM Engineering to try and figure this out. And while I love my Volt, this is the kind of thing that maybe should not have happened in the first place, like my rear window defroster issue I posted about here. Frustrating.

I still have that kind of an "eennn" sound (from front right area of car) when at low speeds I lift my foot off the accelerator. I want to find some other Volt owners in my area (Troy, NY) to see if their cars do it too or if its just my car making this noise. Again, love my Volt, I even put in an EON to run OpenPilot for Level 2 self driving. Awesome. But the few issues I've had were "frustrating". I want GM and Chevy to do good, and I know the Volt is a complex car, but.....oh, well.... I guess Tesla owners deal with a lot more issues :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts