GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So me and the little lady decided to downsize. Heading back to school and 3 cars simply isn't worth it. I bought a premiere edition Chevy volt 2016 in November when it released. I was surprised when car max admitted they had no idea how to price a same year used car. I found I had trouble pricing it too. So they threw out 25k firm offer. That would put me 2k underwater. I could privately sell but I know that's a lot of leg work when a bank holds the title and can be tricky. I realize I'm going to take a bath bit I want to mitigate it and just be done with it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Crap, OTD after rebates and taxes, I paid $25,800. That's an exceptional offer from a dealer.

Sounds like you end up paying ~$125 week for renting a brand new car in your case. Not that bad.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Put it on ebay and see how people respond.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Try www.Beepi.com. They have a guarantee they will beat any other dealer's quote. I sold my leased Cruze through them and pocketed almost 4k.

They handled almost all the paperwork and lien/title stuff too. I just had to make 1 phone call to GM Financial.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Wait. You got $7500 from the Feds added to the $25000 CarMax will give you, for a total of $32,500. If you bought a base 2016 that is about what you should have paid for it. Sounds like a pretty good deal. That is far less depreciation on a new car than for most.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I second what bro said, do beepi.com and hope it's in your area...They offered me $5K more than carmax for my old Acura...

Tip, they offer beepi express where they take $500 off their offer but take the car and pay you right then and there...Despite you losing $500, if a natural disaster happens you're covered...You can also take insurance off the car immediately which for most will "rebate" back $100-$150...Other reviews have said during the actual inspection, they got their offer, then when it came time for them to buy it, the inspector "found" new problems and lowered the offer...No idea if that's true because in my experience they show up with an already printed check...Download the app and get a quote; many Gen1ers have reported ridiculously high offers...I don't see how the company can make money; I'd they can't overpay forever...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Don't fall into the impulse of convenience. Unless you don't think waiting a week to make an extra $2500-$3000 selling your car on the street is worth it.

Price it $1500 less than it is worth and wait for the phone calls...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Don't fall into the impulse of convenience. Unless you don't think waiting a week to make an extra $2500-$3000 selling your car on the street is worth it.

Price it $1500 less than it is worth and wait for the phone calls...
Your advice in general is sound.

But the whole point of this thread is the OP doesn't KNOW what it is worth (neither does CarMax).

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Try www.Beepi.com. They have a guarantee they will beat any other dealer's quote. I sold my leased Cruze through them and pocketed almost 4k.

They handled almost all the paperwork and lien/title stuff too. I just had to make 1 phone call to GM Financial.
Bro, Beepi bought your car in 30 days vs finding a buyer, correct? If so look it up and see how much they're selling it for...They took my Acura this past Monday and its still on there for a grand less than what they paid me for it...I don't see how this company makes any money!

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Bro, Beepi bought your car in 30 days vs finding a buyer, correct? If so look it up and see how much they're selling it for...They took my Acura this past Monday and its still on there for a grand less than what they paid me for it...I don't see how this company makes any money!
Yeah, waited the 30 days and they came to pick up it. They gave me $18.7k for my Cruze, and it is currently on sale for $18.4k! And that's still probably way too high. Whatever pricing model they were using when they evaluated my Cruze must have been all out of whack! In my benefit, luckily. I'm not complaining though. :)

They have seemed to corrected it lately though. I submitted my 2nd, exact same spec'ed Cruze for a quote a month after I unloaded my first one, and the new offer was over $3k less.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Nice! I did a fake quote for the 2016 Premier volt; said they call or email within 24 hours (unlike the instant quote) but since I didn't use my real email or phone number won't be hearing from them...

·
Registered
568 Posts
hell depending on where you are at and what color/options the car was I might have been interested to buy it from you -- had my eyes on a 2016 but to find them in the used market so soon is very rare. I wound up putting a deposit down on a 2017 order... I know buying new is always a bit of a **** game since all that initial depreciation.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I opted to just bite the bullet and sell it to Carmax. I figured the longer I hold onto it the more it will depreciate. I Paid the difference on what I owed on it. Someone is going to get lucky. Literally 4k miles on it. I don't think the engine is even broken in yet lol. It's sitting at the Carmax in Sterling Virginia if anyone is interested lol.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I'd be interested to know what they try and sell it for... if they paid you 25, if this was a normal car they'd probably mark that up to 28k or so... problem is with that federal tax credit people can get on brand new ones, that basally tells them they can't sell this used card for more than 27 and some change (and that's not even factoring in the miles or used status)

Even at MSRP - Federal credit + TTL brand new is a tad over 28k.

If it was heather grey -- I want a time machine so I could go back and buy it from you, i'd have happily paid 27K for a 2016.

·
Registered
520 Posts
So I opted to just bite the bullet and sell it to Carmax. I figured the longer I hold onto it the more it will depreciate. I Paid the difference on what I owed on it. Someone is going to get lucky. Literally 4k miles on it. I don't think the engine is even broken in yet lol. It's sitting at the Carmax in Sterling Virginia if anyone is interested lol.
Did you keep the EVSE by any chance? That's a (very) quick few hundred dollars in the aftermarket.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts