GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very odd problem today. I got in my car and I hit the start about a second before I hit the brake. The electronics of the screens started up like they normally would do but the car wouldn't move. I could shift the shifter but nothing would happen when I hit the accel pedal.

The oddest part was that I couldn't turn it off. I hit the start button to turn it off and the screens would go dark as usual and then back on as if I had hit the start button to start the car. I did this about 20 times trying to figure out what was happening.

It seemed as if part of the car thought it was off when other parts thought it was on. Pushing the start button was simultaneously turning it off and on. It was then when I thought that if part of the car thought I was starting it up, I had to press on the brake.

So I pressed the brake as I pressed the start button and the car finally turned off and stayed off. It then started normally. This isn't the first time I have seen odd behavior out of the computer if I hit the brake slightly after hitting the start button.

Odd little bug.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yes that does sound like a software bug. A good reason to have your foot on the brake before you reach for the start button. I suspect if you press start without ever touching the brake pedal you will get the "press brake to start" message as expected, but stepping on the brake JUST after pressing start may be a condition nobody thought of testing. It would have been a good "boundary condition" to test though. When I was working as a software test engineer, one of my colleagues said there are two things you don't want to see being made, sausage and software.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This just happened to me on Saturday. This was accompanied with an error message that stated "service battery charging system" or something like that. I was able to shift, etc. vents were blowing (cold) air but the car was not on. I could turn everything off, but I had to press power without touching the brake pedal, if I had the brake pedal pressed it would do that weird cycle you mentioned. Once I figured that out, and powered off my car, it still wouldn't restart. I had to jump start my car. It seems fine now, but I ordered a new 12 Volt battery, as mine is 6 years old now.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After a couple more odd occurances, I just went and got a new 12v battery. The battery's manufacture date was 2011 so I am guessing it was the original battery in my '12 Volt so it probably needed to be changed.

Thanks for the suggestion

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Sounds like you were in accessory mode.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I definitely did not hold down the start button for 5 seconds and I couldn't turn it off either. I was also able to shift in to gear but the car wouldn't move. The brakes were active, the climate system active. Then once I did finally get it to shut off, every time I shut off the car the display would show "Press brake to start."

The battery was 4 years old and since I would be going on a 2600 mile road trip next month (goodbye lifetime MPG), I figured a new battery was probably as smart idea.

I also had remembered that my door unlock buttons have been no responding quickly lately.

With the new battery, all the issues have seemed to disappear so far but that could have been a fresh boot of the system as well from disconnecting the battery. Either way, I feel much better about the trip next month.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Did you get the new battery at a Chevrolet dealer? How much did it cost?

I am starting to think about replacing the 12V battery in my 2013 just as preventative maintenance.

I have spent so little money maintaining this car the past 3 years I can easily afford a (12V) battery replacement.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Did you get the new battery at a Chevrolet dealer? How much did it cost?

I am starting to think about replacing the 12V battery in my 2013 just as preventative maintenance.

I have spent so little money maintaining this car the past 3 years I can easily afford a (12V) battery replacement.
I bought my AGM battery at batteries plus for $220.00. I was sold the wrong battery at the dealership so I paid more, but no returning the old battery and no dealer headache. I just dropped off the old battery at the sears auto near me and the swap out was very easy..

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took it to a local place that I trust. I also paid $220 and $30 for installation. While I prefer to do things like this myself, it was cold out and I hadn't yet accessed the battery compartment so I figured I would stay warm and watch them do it the first time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts