GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, after 32,000 trouble free miles my car left me stranded on a particularly dangerous stretch of highway waiting for a tow truck to arrive.

I literally pressed the accelerator to pass a car and power disappeared completely. Battery had about 80% charge, gas tank 50% full. No matter how many restarts performed or switching of modes could eek out any propulsion.

Car and I are finally at the dealership which has been... fun to say the least. No loaner car until diagnostic performed (and deemed a warranty repair - somehow this is a question) and they said they won't even look at the car until tomorrow or next week. Lovely.

I'm assuming based on the MIL and the message I saw about "service high voltage charging system" that this is nothing good. Anyone else with a 2nd gen experienced this? What am I in for? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Your car is still under the Bumper to Bumper warranty so this is a no-brainer on warranty. Contact GM directly to get the dealership to pony up the loaner.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sorry to hear about the issue. I'm surprised the dealer has even questioned if this would be covered under warranty or not. You're well within the bumper-to-bumper warranty so it's not a quest if the issue would be covered or not. I guess they could be questioning if it was something you did to cause the issue which would exclude it from warranty but typically that's only determined after the issue, and cause of, has been determined. Likewise I've never heard of a loaner car being dependent on warranty coverage or not. My BMW and Subaru dealerships both provided loaner vehicles regardless if the work was warranty or not.

Let us know what you hear.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to hear about the issue. I'm surprised the dealer has even questioned if this would be covered under warranty or not. You're well within the bumper-to-bumper warranty so it's not a quest if the issue would be covered or not. I guess they could be questioning if it was something you did to cause the issue which would exclude it from warranty but typically that's only determined after the issue, and cause of, has been determined. Likewise I've never heard of a loaner car being dependent on warranty coverage or not. My BMW and Subaru dealerships both provided loaner vehicles regardless if the work was warranty or not.

Let us know what you hear.
Yeah, my experience with Infiniti and loaners was great. I will say that every experience I've had thus far with a Chevrolet dealership has left a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sorry to hear that. My friends 2016 just did something similar this morning. Difference is it didn't start in his garage. Towed to the dealer. Issues start showing up as the car ages.

The quality I get from Chevy dealer is well below what I expect. Once Japanese/Germans catch up with EV I won't look back.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The Chevy Dealer I go to offers me a no cost loaner, even on non-warranty repairs. When I had my Astra, I was having the timing belt replaced at 75,000 miles, and a few other maintenance things, and they loaned me a Volt for 3 days for free. My Volt is currently in their shop for what is probably a re-torque on the axle nuts, but they can't look at it for a few days because they have quite a backlog, and I'm driving a loaner Chevy Trax from them. (They gave me the choice of a Cruze, Malibu, Trax or Equinox, so I picked the Trax because it's the only one I hadn't driven yet.) They are an outstanding dealership though, and I pass a few other Chevy dealers on my way to them. I would have bought my Volt there, but they didn't have any used ones at the time I was purchasing.

Sorry about the problems, and I'm sad to hear that the dealer you are using wouldn't give you a loaner immediately. I would definitely complain to GM about that, since you are clearly under warranty.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've read so many posts about a Chevrolet Volt just dying on the highway. What's the deal with it? It's way too common. Also, it's a huge safety issue if your car just shuts off all of a sudden while everyone is flying by at 70MPH plus.

I'm gong to buy a Volt, but currently with my 2008 Honda Accord I don't feel the need to sign up for AAA. With a new Volt, I feel it's a must.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I've read so many posts about a Chevrolet Volt just dying on the highway. What's the deal with it? It's way too common. Also, it's a huge safety issue if your car just shuts off all of a sudden while everyone is flying by at 70MPH plus.

I'm gong to buy a Volt, but currently with my 2008 Honda Accord I don't feel the need to sign up for AAA. With a new Volt, I feel it's a must.
It is a little disconcerting.

·
Registered
294 Posts

How common is it? I haven't seen anything to suggest it's too common and I did a lot of research before buying mine. I've been a Japanese / German owner for several decades, the Volt is my first American car in 25 years so I was hesitant. But after reading a lot of posts in the gen 1 forum I decided to take the plunge.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I remember reading about a TSB (might have even been a recall) about a high voltage "fuse" replacement that solves a loss of propulsion problem. Not saying that's what happened with yours but with all modern cars, you kinda have to stay on top of updates: take your car in at least every 6 months while it is still under warranty and have them check to see if there are any updates, TSB's, or recalls for it. Have you kept up with updates like that?

Mike

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
There was a batch of bad fuses that were used in some of the 2017 Volts. The fuses would not actually fail but would indicate a fault to the Volt. GM replaced the fuses under warranty. The repair sometimes took several days as the fuse was not a stocked item at most dealerships. Installing the fuse required removing the traction battery.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I've read so many posts about a Chevrolet Volt just dying on the highway. What's the deal with it? It's way too common.
It is a little disconcerting.
Yes, losing all propulsion on the highway makes me wonder about the reliability of the Gen 2 Volt. It doesn't seem to happen much on the Gen 1 Volt.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premiere
390 Posts
I wouldn't use a message forum to gauge whether the problem is widespread. Some of us post here because we are enthusiasts/car geeks, but many only come here when they have a problem ... which is fine, but it can lead to a skewed sense of the reliability of the car.

Unless there are actual stats to show the problem is widespread, then I would reserve judgment.

That's small comfort if you have been left stranded.

It seems that if this was related to a specific batch of bad fuses, GM could track that and send out notices to affected owners.

I would rate my experience with the dealership as average at best, but I went into this expecting less than white glove treatment, so I haven't been too disappointed.

·
Registered
541 Posts
How many Gen2 Volts have been sold? How many reports of failures on the highway have we seen? Hint, the first number is large and the second is very small.

I agree that none of them should do it. But, the Gen2 is more of a normal car from an engineering standpoint. It’s going to see some sporadic issues. The Gen1 was an overengineered tank, so we saw very few issues with it.

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
This is a less than 1% issue, just like other issues posted here. But for those it happened to, it's 100%, I get that.

As far as the dealer, it's an independent business. The owner of that business sets the policy. GM has some influence but that's not the same as the dealer being a GM employee. Anyway, try a different dealer is that's an option. I have some very good GM dealers in my area. They offer loaners and they treat me well even though I have rarely needed their services.

The Gen 1 Volts had an issue with bluetooth not disconnecting with a paired phone when the car was shut off, causing the battery to drain as the car was basically "on". GM eventually worked that out, but like this Gen 2 issue, those affected were not happy.

But this is what warranties are for. GM would rather not have to incur the costs of parts and paying dealer's to fix the issue. They have incentive to resolve it from both a market reliability reputation standpoint and from a profit perspective.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
It could be something as simple as a shorted 12v battery too. If under warranty though and they cannot fix it and it is not drivable they should provide a loaner. Let them know what happens this time will definitely help you make your decision on where not to buy next time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, somewhat of an update --

First, I called GM Thursday evening to let them know my dissatisfaction with not being provided a loaner despite the fact that the vehicle died (came in a flatbed) due to clearly what was a fault with the electric propulsion part of the car while I was clearly under warranty. They called back on Friday afternoon to offer a 3-day "courtesy" rental car (with a surprising number of strings attached). That said, a nice gesture.

Fortunately, I also received a call from the dealership on Friday afternoon not long after. Unfortunately, I was in a meeting and couldn't take the call. I also couldn't make out the service advisor's message (including his name) on my voicemail very well, so it took approximately 3 calls back to the service department to get routed to the appropriate person (and not a generic voicemail black hole). At that point though, he had apparently gone for the day, so I got someone else to read through the notes --

Apparently a fuse burned out -- when pressed he couldn't give me any details on this -- but apparently it's one related to the electric/hybrid system (sounds similar to other cases reported on the forum) and they of course don't have it in stock. They've ordered it, but don't have any idea when it might arrive. They were now OK with providing me with replacement transportation, but only if I get a rental car voucher from them and from their Hertz rental branch on site. Unfortunately there was no way I could make it to the dealership in time that Friday (before they closed) to pick up a car and they couldn't rent me one on the weekend, so stay tuned Monday when I make a trip back up there and attempt to get a replacement vehicle.

Hopefully this doesn't take too long to turn around. As annoyed as I am right now with what happened with the car and the level of service from the dealership, I'm not looking forward to doing my super commute burning gas (currently charge at both ends and drive almost 100% on electricity) and having a rental without HOV stickers.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts