GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
John Voelcker at GreenCarReports.com has provided a substantive article "On Picking Data: Car And Driver's Deceptive Electric-Car Sales Graph":

As virtually every analyst and commentator has pointed out, electric cars have done better in their early years than hybrids did in theirs.

So how is it that Car and Driver, the well-known automotive "buff book," seems to suggest that electric cars are doing much worse than hybrids did?

That's the conclusion of a January article entitled, The Spark Is Gone: What's Going On With Electric Cars, which is subtitled, "EVs haven't caught on the way they were supposed to; will they ever?"
Decide for yourself; read the full article:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1083047_on-picking-data-car-and-drivers-deceptive-electric-car-sales-graph

Car and Driver's Grossly Deceptive Graphic

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
OK, no one ever said Car & Driver had Albert Einstein on staff, though in truth an 8th grader could probably explain why this graph is stupid.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Still need to read the original C&D article, but this graph is one of the dumbest pieces of propaganda I've seen. I don't even think a Faux news type outlet would carry it. Can't believe Car & Driver's editors didn't flag its dishonesty.

Comparing sales of limited production $100k 2-seater sports coupes to $30k "mainstream" hybrids/electrics? Claiming 2008 as the first year baseline for EV sales?? (When the Volt and Leaf didn't go on sale until 2011)

Try to wrap my brain around how anyone at C&D could be that stupid...or, what's their agenda?

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
an 8th grader could probably explain why this graph is stupid
this graph is one of the dumbest pieces of propaganda I've seen
Yeah, the red bar for 2011 should be beside the yellow bar for 2000. The red bar for 2012 should be beside the yellow bar for 2001.

From this deliberate distortion we can deduce that the fact that electric vehicles are now being adopted faster than hybrids were a decade ago is what frightens pro-ICE bigots like Dave Mable. No matter how good of an ICE one has, no matter how new your ICE is, the ICE is now yesterday's technology.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
The author doesn't realize that most American drivers need to ride more miles than the average EV range have, including Volt owners. So hybrids will sell more than EVs. But that is where the Volt shines! It is an EV that can drive as far as any ICE or hybrid, because it has the best combination of a basic EV and a range extender that matches the best hybrids.

GM must produce more EREVs and put out many model varieties to saturate and overtake the hybrid market. The Volt and the ELR are just two. GM must produce smaller EREVs (maybe a Spark or Sonic conversion) , a CUV (the CrossVolt), larger SUVs (a Traverse and Enclave conversion), and one or more trucks (a Silverado conversion). It will be costly, but the erevs will eventually cover the driver needs until battery technology and capacity can extend Ev ranges. Then the full BEVs will take over and remove the need for gasoline.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Who are the potential purchasers?

<approach soapbox>

I've not yet read the article [will get to it in a moment] but didn't all of the EVs come to market during a recession?

Hmmm..... lets see, If I'm worried about the status of my job, I'm not going to replace my current vehicle. If I've lost my job...you can add multiple scenarios to this one - none very good.

So, now that you've taken a big chunk of folks out of the car-buying pool, you're left with a group that is still partially nervous about extending themselves because they could be next.

During my college years, my diet was moderated by how many hours I could get in on my work-study program when I worked on campus and from my employer when I got part-time jobs off-campus. And yes, I bowed to the quantity vs quality argument in my purchases - back then.

As our economy improves, and more EV choices come to market, rational decisions will return as to which type of purchase best fits you or your family's needs.

Salesmanship:

To Sales Managers of brands that offer EVs
My take on car salespersons is that none are particularly brand-loyal. A pipe dream of mine is that a bunch of folks that sell or have sold the Prius hire on with the other dealerships. Many in your current crop refuse to abandon their ICE-only mentality and are hindering sales of EVs. Get some people in there that embrace new technology - some that WANT TO KNOW about their products!!!! Their exuberance for new and different will be contagious.

Horror stories are plentiful on this forum about our purchase experiences - where we knew more about the product than the sales staff. YOUR OLD STAFF MEMBERS MAY BE WORKING AGAINST YOU!!

Electrics are here to stay - so get use to it!!

</step down>:cool:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
And then there's this little gem of disinformation + scare tactic from the C&D article:

"While the in-home 240-volt chargers that accompany most EVs provide for handy overnight “fill-ups,” charging from 120-volt sources takes so long as to be functionally useless. Consequently, the Leaf’s 60-mile real-world range limits the car to trips within a 30-mile radius."

Wait, no one told me that the L1 EVSE that came with the Volt was "functionally useless". Thank you Car & Driver! I wish someone had told me that a year ago before I logged over 16,000 EV miles using almost exclusively my L1 at home and work. Not to mention the day my 17.5 mile range radius limited EV did 112 miles EV only miles in one day..also from only "useless" 120 volt outlets. I feel so deceived! I'd better stop charging overnight before work, now that a major auto journal has enlightened me{end sarcasm mode}

·
Registered
741 Posts
I pointed out this whacked out editorial like effort here: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?20226-Can-Anyone-Spot-the-Omission&p=233730#post233730

This article is really bad and I couldnt find it on line at the time. I guess this guy was expecting ipad like conversions to electric. I can tell you the car manufacturers are looking at the future and the future of gas and the future fuel standards and they are going to keep building more electrics, more hybrids and more of everything they can find to keep reality from eating into the bottom line.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Now that I've read John's article, I agree, wholeheartedly, that the C & D piece was skewed - hopefully not on purpose but, merely by someone that does not know the difference between apples and oranges.

Still, EV sales staff are a major part of why EVs sale at the pace they do.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
...hopefully not on purpose but, merely by someone that does not know the difference between apples and oranges.
Author of the article:

·
Administrator
20,022 Posts
Perhaps C&D thought using 2008 was a less obvious "thumb on the scale" than their original choice for EV sales starting point: 1999 (EV1).

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Perhaps C&D thought using 2008 was a less obvious "thumb on the scale" than their original choice for EV sales starting point: 1999 (EV1).
Henri Pieper in 1899 developed the world's first petrolium-electric hybrid automobile. In 1900, Ferdinand Porsche developed a series-hybrid using two motor-in-wheel-hub arrangements with a combustion generator set providing the electric power. The braking regenerative hybrid was invented by David Arthurs, an electrical engineer from Springdale, Arkansas in 1978–79.

So, if intellectual dishonesty isn't a problem, the chart could really be skewed in that direction as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts