GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have created a ticket with OnStar support who were not able to get this working so far, but wondering if anyone might know a quick fix. When I try to refresh the diagnostics, essentially every time so far it tells me it can't and I should try to drive the car and try again. That sounded strange, but I have done this (many miles, several days). We also uninstalled remotelink and installed mychevrolet, but the same problem.

I asked support if it matters that I chose not to have bluetooth enabled and they said it shouldn't matter.

The iphone is a 5c. I usually don't have issues with other apps.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Has your phone's Operating software been updated recently to 11.0? Mine when scheduled wants to automatically updated the software and apps when it is plugged in to a power source. I have since turned off the automatic update. 32 bit apps will not work with 11.0. only 64 bit apps. Is Remotelink or MyChevrolet 32 bit or have they gone to the newer 64 bit?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Has your phone's Operating software been updated recently to 11.0? Mine when scheduled wants to automatically updated the software and apps when it is plugged in to a power source. I have since turned off the automatic update. 32 bit apps will not work with 11.0. only 64 bit apps. Is Remotelink or MyChevrolet 32 bit or have they gone to the newer 64 bit?
interesting points, I don't know the answers on what bits the apps are, but I'll point this up to the GM OnStar tech support when I speak with them. Taking a quick look at that phone, it seems to say IOS 10.3.3 and it claims that it is up to date.

·
Registered
131 Posts
They have been 64 bit for some time so that's not the issue they work fine in iOS 11.

Now to the core of the issue on the 19th of Oct OnStar Suffered Server issues and many volts have not been communicating their information to the app or the websites tracking their data. They stated they are currently working on it.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
interesting points, I don't know the answers on what bits the apps are, but I'll point this up to the GM OnStar tech support when I speak with them. Taking a quick look at that phone, it seems to say IOS 10.3.3 and it claims that it is up to date.
I don't think an iPhone 5c will run IOS 11, so that is probably as up to date as you can get.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They have been 64 bit for some time so that's not the issue they work fine in iOS 11.

Now to the core of the issue on the 19th of Oct OnStar Suffered Server issues and many volts have not been communicating their information to the app or the websites tracking their data. They stated they are currently working on it.
Thanks, this seems helpful, except that they spent a decent amount of mid-day time on the phone with me without mentioning a word of this. Maybe they could just have mentioned at the start of the call.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Oof. Mine stopped communicating around then as well. I wasted some time with OnStar over the weekend trying to diagnose. They escalated it and said it would be 3-5 business days and mentioned my car was slow to connect or communicate.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed that GM allows what is apparently inconsistent upkeep of some of its OnStar offering to interfere with what is otherwise in many ways a first-rate vehicle and mobility package. For me, there is kind of an "oh well" aspect of this. I will likely get rid of OnStar once the trial period runs out, but it would be good if I were first able to give it a try and have the full experience.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
remember there are 2 phone apps

Remotelink and mychevrolet and via the web

so try both

iPhone 5S will do iOS 11 but 5c seems to be max at iOS 10.3.3

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
I just tested both Apps on my apple 7+
and both worked

·
Registered
131 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just tested both Apps on my apple 7+
and both worked
I agree Cord, both apps work on my iPhone 7+ to my 2013 volt. On a totally different iPhone topic, I do have issues with receiving texts in the volt using the entertainment center. I get the texts on the phone, but not through the car stereo unless I ask siri to read the text after hearing the notification beep on the phone. This used to work great when I had a Windows phone, the vehicle would respond with a voice prompt saying you got a text from ... do you want to read it ? And you could read texts and send responses. I guess carplay on gen2 takes care of this issue with the iPhone. Oh well. Minor problem.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
remember there are 2 phone apps

Remotelink and mychevrolet and via the web

so try both
Thanks, a worthwhile point but I have already tried both apps. I didn't know about mychevrolet but before I created this thread I did call support and on the phone with them I removed remotelink and tried mychevrolet. Unfortunately, it didn't matter.

iPhone 5S will do iOS 11 but 5c seems to be max at iOS 10.3.3

Yes, both of my iphone 5c's seem to be staying on 10.3.3.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I agree Cord, both apps work on my iPhone 7+ to my 2013 volt. On a totally different iPhone topic, I do have issues with receiving texts in the volt using the entertainment center. I get the texts on the phone, but not through the car stereo unless I ask siri to read the text after hearing the notification beep on the phone. This used to work great when I had a Windows phone, the vehicle would respond with a voice prompt saying you got a text from ... do you want to read it ? And you could read texts and send responses. I guess carplay on gen2 takes care of this issue with the iPhone. Oh well. Minor problem.
You have to change a setting to texts on the screen with the Volt.
This might help you find the setting on the phone.
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?158057-Text-messages-to-center-console-stopped-working

I believe you have to go to the bluetooth settings on the phone under the Chevrolet Volt and turn on "Show Notifications"

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
'check your electric miles and % in the app do they show as "--"?:

I get electric and total numbers in both life time and also the Since Full Charged tab

and 93 %

--------------------
Both Apps ( a quick look ) seem to now be almost the same data display

The myChevy Apps works with the Apple watch ( not sure yet if it will solo work -with out a iPhone in my pocket.

Using the Apple watch 3 with cell service (Sprint ) and a phone in my pocket it did lock the car but may be using blue-tooth to phone
and the phone did the work or the authorization ?

BUT good to know if i leave phone in car I can get in.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
As to text messages

In the past I would push the switch on my 2012 Volt and say
bluetooth- Voice- then tell Siri to read last text message ( or other iPhone Siri commands like make a phone call)

Starting with one of the iOS 11 updates this does not work ( car says something like your phone does not accept voice)

have not looked into the problem as incoming calls to car via blue-tooth to phone work

AND

I find it faster to use my nose on my Apple watch to get Sira

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
check your electric miles and % in the app do they show as "--"?
The apps work but they are missing information.
In my case, exactly, and still not working. Disappointing.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
myvolt.com also is not able to communicate with my volt, per what it is telling me.

Does anyone know which cell phone carrier GM uses to connect with the 2013 volt? Is it possible that this is an issue?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
myvolt.com also is not able to communicate with my volt, per what it is telling me.

Does anyone know which cell phone carrier GM uses to connect with the 2013 volt? Is it possible that this is an issue?
I believe that in 2013 the carrier is Verizon.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I believe that in 2013 the carrier is Verizon.
Thanks, if that's the case, then I'm guessing it's not the issue. This area has some spotty carriers at my house, but Verizon has generally worked fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts