GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a used 2017 Chevy Volt with about 68,000 miles. I am unable to charge the car at home presently because the outlet in the garage (very old detached garage) is not GFI (I didn't know this prior to buying the car). There are numerous ChargePoint stations near me here in the Twin Cities. However, much to my frustration, I am not able to charge the vehicle at ChargePoint stations. I have now tried at least 5 different ChargePoint stations and each time I try to charge, the message "Not Charging" displays on the ChargePoint display. I have called ChargePoint numerous times and other than reboot the station (which they did a few times) nothing has worked. The only place I have successfully charged my Volt is at a GoodWill store parking lot that happens to have a rather non-descript GE charging station - - but it works! It is highly inconvenient, however, to only be able to charge the Volt at that one location. Does anyone have any ideas/tips/recommendations? I am working on getting bids for a new outlet for my garage as well, but in the meantime, I'd love to be able to charge the Volt at a ChargePoint station. . . . . thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
You don’t need a GFCI outlet to use the EVSE (charge cord) that came with your Volt. In fact, the Volt EVSE already has GFCI circuitry built in! What you do need is a properly wired and grounded outlet. These Voltec EVSE’s are very picky about proper grounds.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Sounds like a problem with your ChargePoint account and/or your phone. Maybe try loading the ChargePoint app on a different phone (e.g., a friend's), logging in with your credentials and seeing if it works? I think ChargePoint also has rfid tags that you can carry on your keychain - are you using one of those, or the phone app? Whichever it is, switch to the other one and see if it works.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Another idea, longshot, but might check it out. Possibly the car is "programmed" from the previous owner to only charge on off peak hours. Maybe when trying the changepoint chargers you are falling into that time frame??? But that would mean when you are at Goodwill, you are in the correct time frame. If it is that, you can override that setting by unplugging the car and plug back in within 5 seconds (or so). Again, longshot, but throwing out an idea.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You don’t need a GFCI outlet to use the EVSE (charge cord) that came with your Volt. In fact, the Volt EVSE already has GFCI circuitry built in! What you do need is a properly wired and grounded outlet. These Voltec EVSE’s are very picky about proper grounds.
Thank you for your reply - yes, the electrician who inspected the outlet did say that it was not grounded, if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like a problem with your ChargePoint account and/or your phone. Maybe try loading the ChargePoint app on a different phone (e.g., a friend's), logging in with your credentials and seeing if it works? I think ChargePoint also has rfid tags that you can carry on your keychain - are you using one of those, or the phone app? Whichever it is, switch to the other one and see if it works.
Thanks for the reply - interesting idea. I am using the phone app.

·
Administrator
22,233 Posts
Thank you for your reply - yes, the electrician who inspected the outlet did say that it was not grounded, if I recall correctly.
No ground will definitely cause a fault. An outlet test is like $6 at Home Depot etc. Has three prongs like a regular plug and three lights. The light pattern will indicate whether there is a ground or other issue.

Reactions: axle69

·
Registered
972 Posts
Another idea, longshot, but might check it out. Possibly the car is "programmed" from the previous owner to only charge on off peak hours. Maybe when trying the changepoint chargers you are falling into that time frame??? But that would mean when you are at Goodwill, you are in the correct time frame. If it is that, you can override that setting by unplugging the car and plug back in within 5 seconds (or so). Again, longshot, but throwing out an idea.
Good thinking. Since the OP is not charging at home, s/he can just cancel the schedule-based charging (if it's set up) and set the car to always charge immediately when plugged in.

But I doubt this is the problem because most likely the OP did unplug and replug when trying to get the ChargePoint EVSEs to work. And as you said, that should have overridden the charging schedule.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My advice is to install a 240 volt receptacle, mine is a standard electric dryer receptacle and buy or make an adapter to plug in your volt's EVSE and reduce you charging time from 19 hours to about 5.5, from zero bars. I've been using adapters made by ChrisTX on this forum for 3-4 years and couldn't be happier. This technique lets your standard EVSE charge your car at 240 volt speed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
For what its worth, I live in an apartment complex with Chargepoint chargers, and they have always charged fine for me (early 2016 Volt). I use the their app to start charging rather than the RFID system.

In fact I've don't recall ever having problems with public charger compatibility.

But as others have said - get a working outlet in your garage, 240 is best but even charging 12A @ 110v overnight is way better than tracking down public charging stations.

·
Registered
286 Posts
But as others have said - get a working outlet in your garage, 240 is best but even charging 12A @ 110v overnight is way better than tracking down public charging stations.
Generally cheaper too, unless you find a charger that is free for some reason.

-Charlie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts