GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I plug my iPhone 4 into the USB port I immediately get the following message displayed on my Volt’s center screen: “This media cannot be used”. I do not have Mylink.

I called my Volt Adviser and he said that I should be able to stream audio with my iPhone 4 via my USB port. My Volt Adviser indicated that I should take my Volt to the dealer so that they could find out what is wrong. This morning I did take my Volt to the dealer. They were able to stream audio via my USB port with an iPhone 4S but not with my iPhone 4. They then called GM Technical support and were told: (1) the iPhone 4 is incompatible with audio streaming on the Volt. (2) audio streaming via the USB port does work with an iPhone 4S and (3) Sometimes audio streaming works with an iPhone 5 and sometimes it does not.

Seems very strange to me. I would be interested in other people’s experiences.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Get a cheap thumbdrive and copy all your music files to it and leave it connected to the USB port. Works GREAT! Phone stays in pocket.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I Want to Stream Audio

Yes, that's right. I am looking to stream audio such as Pandora or Shoutcast with my iPhone 4, which I cannot do.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Yes, that's right. I am looking to stream audio such as Pandora or Shoutcast with my iPhone 4, which I cannot do.
My first reply still holds. You still need at least one song in your iTunes library just to get your phone recognized. Then you can stream all you want.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
It sounds like he wants to stream, not play his own files.
Ahh, OK. When I think streaming, I think of wireless AD2P streaming from a phone to the headunit. As the OP mentioned, you need MyLink or an aftermarket solution for that.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
My first reply still holds. You still need at least one song in your iTunes library just to get your phone recognized. Then you can stream all you want.
*NEVERMIND. I've been corrected and the following is not true, so ignore this post.*

[Idk about that. I have MyLink, so it's a bit different than yours, but it's my understanding that when plugged into USB the iPhone only functions through the "iPod" app.

If you wanna play Pandora, why not just use a mini-stereo cable and plug into the Aux-in port?]

·
Registered
456 Posts
Different animal, but for Android, I stream Pandora and Stitcher automatically via MyLink bluetooth. BTW Stitcher is an integrated gem I knew nothing about before getting the Volt. The podcasts are great.

Edit: Realize the poster may not have MyLink.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Idk about that. I have MyLink, so it's a bit different than yours, but it's my understanding that when plugged into USB the iPhone only functions through the "iPod" app.
This is incorrect. I regularly stream things other than the music app thru the USB to my non-MyLink head unit. Both on an iPhone4 and 5. You have to control everything from the phone, but the audio system outputs whatever the phone is outputting. And as I said before, you need at least one song in your iPod library for it to recognize the phone at all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Success!

I downloaded some songs to iTunes on my iPhone. (I previously did not have any iTunes music on my iPhone.) That did the trick. I am now able to stream audio, such as Pandora, from my iPhone 4 via the USB port to my Volt. Very Cool. Thanks very much to ViperRT10Matt for the tip.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just had this issue last week and after I resynced with iTunes and copied over a few songs to my iPhone 4, the error went away and I was able to stream from Pandora again. Strange that the iPod control needed one song on there but it works now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts