GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I think you are thinking about this wrong. The volt is trying to understand when the peak and non peak times are for the whole day So start with midnight, and work forward. So the first period is probably off peak, then you need to set the next band, and the next after that. So if you only have one peak period from 8am to 8pm, then set offpeak from midnight to 8am, then peak for 8am to 8pm, then off peak from 8pm to midnight.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
You will have to start with midnight. If your off-peak rate starts before midnight at 11:00 PM, you'll have to break that into two entries. One is 12 MN to 7:00 AM (our case), then at the end add 11:00 PM to 12:00 MN

For example
Peak rate is from 2:00 PM to 9:00 PM weekdays, 3:00 PM to 7:00 PM weekends and holidays
Partial peak is from 7:00 am to 2:00 PM, and 9:00 pm to 11:00 PM weekdays except holidays.
All the rest are off-peak

Weekday Entries for the Volt:
first entry would be 12:00 MN to 7:00 AM, and tag it as off peak.
then my second entry would be 7:00 AM to 2:00 PM, tag it as mid-peak
then the third entry would be 2:00 PM to 9:00 PM, tag it as peak rate
then the fourth entry would be 9:00 PM to 11:00 PM, tag it as mid-peak
then the last entry would be 11:00 PM to 12:00 MN, tag it as off-peak

It is the same with weekend and holiday rates, where you break the off-peak rates into two entries. The peak rate is between 3:00 PM till 7:00 PM then the rest are off-peak, that is from 7:00 PM to 3:00 PM. Too bad, the Volt don't know if it's a holiday or not when the holiday falls on a weekday.

Weekend entries
first entry 12 MN to 3:00 PM, off-peak
second entry 3 PM to 7 PM, peak
third entry 7PM to 12 MN, off-peak

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Also, beware that the Volt's clock isn't synchronized with the atomic clock (our utilities uses atomic time), and the clock in the Volt could drift big time, through time, and through changes in the Daylight Savings Time...

And if you're charging from a 240V line, then you can set the off peak rate to start later and end earlier, and make the peak rates start earlier and end later by 10-15 minutes. This way, the utilities cannot bill you more than necessarily. While it is a few cents difference, but multiply it for a year, it could be significant.

Or you can simply go solar with net metering, make sure you have excess energy to cover the Volt commute, and plug-in to recharge immediately anytime.

You will have to start with midnight. If your off-peak rate starts before midnight at 11:00 PM, you'll have to break that into two entries. One is 12 MN to 7:00 AM (our case), then at the end add 11:00 PM to 12:00 MN

For example
Peak rate is from 2:00 PM to 9:00 PM weekdays, 3:00 PM to 7:00 PM weekends and holidays
Partial peak is from 7:00 am to 2:00 PM, and 9:00 pm to 11:00 PM weekdays except holidays.
All the rest are off-peak

Weekday Entries for the Volt:
first entry would be 12:00 MN to 7:00 AM, and tag it as off peak.
then my second entry would be 7:00 AM to 2:00 PM, tag it as mid-peak
then the third entry would be 2:00 PM to 9:00 PM, tag it as peak rate
then the fourth entry would be 9:00 PM to 11:00 PM, tag it as mid-peak
then the last entry would be 11:00 PM to 12:00 MN, tag it as off-peak

It is the same with weekend and holiday rates, where you break the off-peak rates into two entries. The peak rate is between 3:00 PM till 7:00 PM then the rest are off-peak, that is from 7:00 PM to 3:00 PM. Too bad, the Volt don't know if it's a holiday or not when the holiday falls on a weekday.

Weekend entries
first entry 12 MN to 3:00 PM, off-peak
second entry 3 PM to 7 PM, peak
third entry 7PM to 12 MN, off-peak

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Or you can simply go solar
Simply? How much is the up-front cost to do that? Is the car near the solar installation during the day?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Simply? How much is the up-front cost to do that? Is the car near the solar installation during the day?
Yes, fortunately, it's hassle free and too simple for me. There's the HERO and the PACE program to finance everything. You obviously missed my statement about the net metering. Do you want me to explain that to you? The net metering is extended up to 2019 for now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts