1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Title: Canadian Hyundai Kona Electric Buyers Observe Delays, Poor Communication
https://insideevs.com/hyundai-kona-ev-electric-canada-delays/

Amazing how we see that large and
many decade old car companies have trouble producing electric cars.
:)

The company was founded in 1967 and, along with its 32.8% owned subsidiary, Kia Motors, and its 100% owned luxury subsidiary Genesis Motors,[4]altogether comprise the Hyundai Motor Group.

It is the third largest vehicle manufacturer in the world.[5]

Hyundai operates the world's largest integrated automobile manufacturing facility[6] in Ulsan, South Korea, which has an annual production capacity of 1.6 million units. The company employs about 75,000 people worldwide. Hyundai vehicles are sold in 193 countries through some 5,000 dealerships and showrooms.[7]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Motor_Company
Even when they can produce 200K Elantra's and Sonata's even per year:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Something's up with Hyundai's logistics chain for sure. I think there were news that they were getting a second battery supplier for the Kona. Is the first supplier LG Chem or SK?

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Yup, not as easy as it seems. More to it than throwing some parts together.

·
Administrator
20,183 Posts
I seems like Chevy is the only EV manufacturer to set a delivery date and make it, but maybe there are others I'm not aware of.

·
Super Moderator
6,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I seems like Chevy is the only EV manufacturer to set a delivery date and make it, but maybe there are others I'm not aware of.
Right they did beat the Tesla Model 3 to production too. Just not making them in quantity nor with the characteristics that people want beside the early adopters. Many argue it is not that impressive then (perhaps good for the bean counters due to ZEV credits tho).

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Something's up with Hyundai's logistics chain for sure. I think there were news that they were getting a second battery supplier for the Kona. Is the first supplier LG Chem or SK?
LG is their primary provider. I think SK Innovation is the company that's helping them meet demand, but Hyundai won't confirm.

Right they did beat the Tesla Model 3 to production too. Just not making them in quantity nor with the characteristics that people want beside the early adopters. Many argue it is not that impressive then (perhaps good for the bean counters due to ZEV credits tho).
Good lord, you really need to get off your high horse. He was referring to the fact that GM said they would begin deliveries in late 2016, and they began deliveries in December 2016. As for Tesla, I hear they are thinking about making a $35,000 Model 3 one of these years. When did Elon first say it would be available?

If Tesla fanatics spent as much time actually promoting EVs as they do bashing non-Tesla EVs and sabotaging the public fast charging experience, electric vehicle adoption in the United States would be much stronger.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
At least they'll get a battery heater and heat pump, which are pparently not needed in the USA.
It doesn't get cold down there does it? :confused:
Given the price, I think Hyundai doesn't want to sell the Kona Electric outside of Los Angeles, San Diego, and San Francisco. Luckily, those three markets will easily support 3,000+ sales a month (it's nice not having brand baggage, and the Tesla elitists are a little behind in their bashing campaign... though it does appear to be starting).

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Given the price, I think Hyundai doesn't want to sell the Kona Electric outside of Los Angeles, San Diego, and San Francisco. Luckily, those three markets will easily support 3,000+ sales a month (it's nice not having brand baggage, and the Tesla elitists are a little behind in their bashing campaign... though it does appear to be starting).
So they will follow in GM's foot steps? Go for the press and not the sales? Seriously, how many Bolts is GM making per month and where are they going? When I checked one out prior to buying my TM3 I had two dealers in metro Atlanta to choose from. That has improved considerably as the dealer where I bought my Volt usually lists four at a time. Atlanta is one of Tesla's top three markets and apparently strong over all for EV but damn if I have ever seen more than one Bolt on the road. I see a lot of the new Leafs though and even TM3s are starting to pop up more often to the point I am beginning to feel like I see them more often than Volts.

I hope that Hyundai and Kia EVs are more widespread as my father is very interested in an EV and I want to keep them down under 30k after rebates, being retired/etc it takes some tricks to have 7500 in taxes. He may have to hold out till VW comes along but I figure late 2020 is where the EV surge will really take place. Surge as in being able to find them in stock, I don't expect them to displace regular car sales even for nearly a decade to come.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
So they will follow in GM's foot steps? Go for the press and not the sales? Seriously, how many Bolts is GM making per month and where are they going? When I checked one out prior to buying my TM3 I had two dealers in metro Atlanta to choose from. That has improved considerably as the dealer where I bought my Volt usually lists four at a time. Atlanta is one of Tesla's top three markets and apparently strong over all for EV but damn if I have ever seen more than one Bolt on the road. I see a lot of the new Leafs though and even TM3s are starting to pop up more often to the point I am beginning to feel like I see them more often than Volts.
I think the issue with non-ZEV states was that the Bolt EV were selling faster than the dealerships were getting them in. Now, those non-ZEV state dealerships weren't getting the same allotments of 20, 30, or 40 Bolt EVs at a time, and that is the big mistake GM made: Underestimating the Bolt EV's popularity. Even CleanTechnica did a story lamenting not being able to test drive a Bolt EV until mid to late 2018, but the reason was that they couldn't test drive any of the Bolt EVs on the lot because they were all presold (that was in Florida, I believe).

As for seeing them on the road, they can be very elusive. Most of the Tesla owners I see on the road only seem to notice my Bolt EV when I pass them or they pass me. I can tell because they suddenly change their driving speed so they either catch up to me or let me catch up, they slow down for about a minute or so, and then they resume their speed again.

On the first 100-mile stretch of my last 500-mile drive (North of Sacramento, CA), I saw three oncoming Model 3s and only one oncoming Bolt EV. Of course, I was viewing this from a Bolt EV, so that was a nice 3:2 ratio. The Model 3s tend to stand out. The Bolt EVs require knowing what you're looking for to spot them.

Also, Georgia was a hotbed of EV adoption before the state killed their $5,000 EV credit and started penalizing EV owners with additional fees and taxes. It's no wonder Tesla sold well there (so did Nissan). Post credit, however, Georgia EV sales have been in the dumps. I can see how Model 3 adoption is still fairly brisk, though, as those buyers were already committed to buying and many are not very price sensitive.

I hope that Hyundai and Kia EVs are more widespread as my father is very interested in an EV and I want to keep them down under 30k after rebates, being retired/etc it takes some tricks to have 7500 in taxes. He may have to hold out till VW comes along but I figure late 2020 is where the EV surge will really take place. Surge as in being able to find them in stock, I don't expect them to displace regular car sales even for nearly a decade to come.
Yes, the loss of the full $7,500 isn't actually that big of a deal for lower-income buyers. My mother, in retirement, wouldn't be eligible for any of the Federal Tax Credit; however, in the State of California, she qualifies for a $4,500 state rebate.

·
Administrator
20,183 Posts
So they will follow in GM's foot steps? Go for the press and not the sales?
They are following Tesla. Announce the car, take deposits and then make people wait as you miss production deadline after deadline.

·
Super Moderator
6,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They are following Tesla. Announce the car, take deposits and then make people wait as you miss production deadline after deadline.
Yet, make record sales:

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Yes, but Chevys secret was to keep it secret so no body knew about them thereby not creating any demand on production.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
And, scott implied that point in his original post. He states that even experienced car companies have trouble producing electric cars. The obvious impllication is that some non-experienced car company has already had that trouble producing electric cars, ie Tesla.
Considering those were supposed to be Tesla's 2017 production numbers, I think you just made Steverino's point.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
And, scott implied that point in his original post. He states that even experienced car companies have trouble producing electric cars. The obvious impllication is that some non-experienced car company has already had that trouble producing electric cars, ie Tesla.
Yes, you're right. He did start by bashing Hyundai. I forgot about that.

It was only his second and third posts that were bashing GM.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Yes, you're right. He did start by bashing Hyundai. I forgot about that.

It was only his second and third posts that were bashing GM.
You're so blind to your bias, that you can't see that by pointing out Hyundai's current production troubles, he's also admitting Tesla's past production troubles?

Where did he say a thing about GM in his 3rd post? For someone who seems so defensive about GM and calling others out about "bash"ing, you seem to have no issues with throwing shade around yourself. Maybe you should look in the mirror take your own advice?

"If Tesla fanatics spent as much time actually promoting EVs as they do bashing non-Tesla EVs and sabotaging the public fast charging experience, electric vehicle adoption in the United States would be much stronger."

Calling others "fanatics" is just deliciously ironic, or hypocritical, not to mention insulting. You decide. And how exactly are Tesla fans, "sabotaging the public fast charging experience"? Weird, just weird. How is insulting Tesla owners left and right, "actually promoting EVs"?

·
Super Moderator
6,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks. Clearly, as my opening post shows that Hyundai can produce cars in volume (tables from GCBC) yet even as an experienced and pretty long time company they even have a hard time production electric vehicles (same as shorter time companies as clearly indicated Tesla).

Seemed pretty clear but I guess others can misrepresent it however it fits their needs.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
It's all guessing game at this stage. We don't know production numbers, parts supplier issues, transportation issues, paper work issues etc. etc. everything that goes into getting the raw materials to unloading of the finished product off the transporter onto the dealers lot and the thousands of steps in between.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts