GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Canadian Federal Government Proposed Budget new $5,000 Incentive for Electric Cars

Limited applicability to electric cars with MSRP no higher than $45,000 so Chevy Bolt and all Teslas sorry no luck.

From Early information it's either BEV or Hydrogen. No Hybrids like Prime or the Volt but anyways by the time the budget is approved the Volt is on it's way out.

GM needs to reprice the Bolts in Canada anyways as the Model 3 standard range is killing sales.

GM would do better to price Bolt LT at $40,000 and Premier at $45000 and sell incentive's Bolts to all Canadian country wide. Sales in BC and Quebec would sky rocket.

·
Super Moderator
6,245 Posts
https://www.chevrolet.ca/en/electric/bolt-ev

= Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price, does not include freight or air conditioning tax if applicable. License, insurance, registration, fees associated with filing at movable property registry/PPSA, administration fees, duties and taxes extra. Dealers are free to set individual prices.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
BC has a $5,000 rebate, Quebec $8,000 rebate. Ontario had a $14,000 rebate but did away with it with in incoming Conservative government that replaced the Liberal government. EV's did quite well there as a result while EV sales in other provinces was pretty sparse with Newfoundland the worst apparently which the government there is trying to change with more chargers as it's not too hot and no too cold (being surrounded by ocean) and all their electricity being supplied by hydro (Muskrat Falls facility is about to open before the not to distant future). Across Canada 9% of new car sales have a plug while it's 1 in 3,000 new car sales there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Federal government need to get this rebate going. No one ( forgive the ignorant) in their right mind is buying any kind of BEV until the program is finalized to know if their getting $5000 off. If some how a base model 3 slips into the program because of a higher CAD dollar or Tesla lowers the Canadian M3 MSRP then I'm going to seriously consider trading in my 2017 Volt. I moved to a different work building which no longer has L2 charging unlike the old location which had 10 (Schneider-Electrics). My Volt was the gateway drug. I am not a fan now of running the volt with the generator.

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
650 Posts
This rebate is funded by the much hated carbon tax that Trudeau has pushed through. This carbon tax is added cost to everything, and the EV rebate is just crumbs. Provinces representing 60% of the population are now fighting this in court, and with An election coming this summer or fall there is a good chance he will be defeated. The Conservative party vows to kill this tax, if it’s not killed by the courts ( Federal carbon tax applies only to those provinces that didn’t implement their own form of the tax, which is discriminatory in nature).

·
Registered
33 Posts
This rebate is funded by the much hated carbon tax that Trudeau has pushed through. This carbon tax is added cost to everything, and the EV rebate is just crumbs. Provinces representing 60% of the population are now fighting this in court, and with An election coming this summer or fall there is a good chance he will be defeated. The Conservative party vows to kill this tax, if it’s not killed by the courts ( Federal carbon tax applies only to those provinces that didn’t implement their own form of the tax, which is discriminatory in nature).
You forgot to mention the provinces that get the carbon price also get the carbon rebate with most households coming out ahead of the game. Actually we get the money back before we actually spend it because the first installment comes from our 2018 tax return due at the end of April. Sounds like a pretty sweet deal. EV owners will make out like bandits.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Will be in effect May 1: https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/new-federal-ev-incentives-offer-up-to-5000-back-on-27-models-and-trims

Volt and Bolt are on the list, Tesla didnt make it

With this rebate, we can now get up to 16K rebates in BC
$5,000 BC + $5,000 federal = $10,000.

I currently get $140 carbon tax rebate cheque quarterly whether I buy anything or not. The BC rebate is until 2020 or until the money allocated runs out. What happens if/when the Liberals get voted out of Ottawa, we won't know until it happens. As the price of EVs gets closer to ICE cars there will be less incentive to offer rebates. That's the carrot approach. The stick approach is to increase taxes on gas (governments are addicted to tax at least after they are voted in) so while the gas cars are cheaper to buy, they are increasingly more expensive to operate.

·
Registered
170 Posts
BC has a scrap-it rebate of $6,000 for new EV's and $3,000 for used. The vehicle to be scrapped must have had continuous insurance for 6 months prior. If you don't have a car worth next to nothing buy a drivable junker and insure 6 months prior to purchase.

https://scrapit.ca/incentivechoices/

Gas has reached over 1.70/L here and I'm loving it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts