GM Volt Forum banner

Can You Run AC Without Power On? (Dog Mode)

14K views 39 replies 25 participants last post by  solar_dave 
#1 ·
Haven't bought my Volt yet, which is why I can't answer my own question. Have read a bunch of threads about defeating auto-shutoff using clamps and rubber bands (and even spray paint can tops) on the shifter button. I just want a way to leave my dog in the car for an hour while the wife and I get a bite to eat. Seems like there's no way to do that without leaving the power on. True?

#2 ·
Yea, the car has to be on. Never heard of a car that would operate the AC without the car running. The energy required is significant. I think the time out for no driver control inputs is about 90 minutes.

There was a story just this week about a guy dying from carbon monoxide poisoning because he forgot to shut off his push to start car parked in the garage. Regulators are likely considering more regulations to make cars even more idiot resistant.

#10 ·
Yea, the car has to be on. Never heard of a car that would operate the AC without the car running. The energy required is significant...
I guess it depends on how you define "on". Using Volt's preconditioning / remote start allows the a/c to run for 10 minutes at a time, but the car is not driveable, so it's not fully on. Tesla's Dog Mode is similar, if you broke in you couldn't drive the car, but the a/c is running (and it doesn't time out at 10 minutes).

#3 ·
Even with the A/C running you're likely to attract tickets and even broken windows when other people see your dog in the car.

#4 ·
I live in AZ where it is hot in the summer. I also leave my Volt on quite often. Step out of the car, close door, the horn will beep, use the fob to lock car. The Volt will be just fine. I’ve never left my dogs in the car, however. I’d be more concerned about some do-gooders busting out a window to ‘save’ your dog.

#13 ·
With the Volt, just leave your car on and lock it as you leave. Would turn off by itself after more than an hour but if the dog is left in the car that long, that's probably another discussion. ;)

#16 ·
Tesla's Dog Mode is not just for four legged friends. Read a recent thread where the wife left her hubby in the Tesla with Dog Mode activated. The generic message displayed on the Tesla's infotainment screen is "My owner will be back soon ..."

#17 ·
Dog mode is not intended for humans (there is a disclaimer that states as such) and will automatically disable when the battery level drops below 20%. That being said, I have left my older kids in the car with dog mode on as it's safer than leaving the keys with them :)

I have also left dog mode enabled a few times when I needed to run into a store but wanted to keep the car cool so the rear-facing seat area didn't get too hot.

It would probably be a good idea for Tesla to alert you via the app if dog mode disengages for any reason.

#18 ·
They just did an update on "dog mode" for the Tesla that alerts you if the battery is at or near 20%. It will continue to run for 30 additional minutes while waiting for a response from your phone. I use "dog mode" and monitor the temps in the car by leaving the climate section of the app open. It tells you the set temperature, actual temperature and if dog mode is active. Even if you didn't use dog mode, there is a secondary system called cabin overheat protection that doesn't let the car exceed 100 degrees even if you didn't set the dog mode on.

I know people worry about pets in the car, however I prefer to take my dog with me in the Tesla. He enjoys the ride and I enjoy his company. I would rather get a notification about a problem with the climate control system in the car when I am 50 feet away from it than a fire alarm notification from my home (with the dog alone inside) when I am 50 miles away.

#19 ·
I know people worry about pets in the car, however I prefer to take my dog with me in the Tesla. He enjoys the ride and I enjoy his company. I would rather get a notification about a problem with the climate control system in the car when I am 50 feet away from it than a fire alarm notification from my home (with the dog alone inside) when I am 50 miles away.
Train your dog not to play with matches. ;)

#20 ·
I just want a way to leave my dog in the car for an hour while the wife and I get a bite to eat.
Either take the dog with you or leave it at home. I have two and they either travel with me or they stay at home, I will NEVER leave them alone in any car, either gas, hybrid, or electric, because I treat my dogs as small children.

Reactions: obermd
#22 ·
My '19 won't lock the door with the car On and no fob inside, so NO, there is no dog mode. If running, When exit with no fob inside, get the multi horn chirp. Then lock door and car unlocks automatically right away. Really annoying.

I think dog mode is a great idea. Our dog is hooked on car rides. Normally we only buy vehicles with sun roofs because the temp buildup in a car is very limited with a sun roof open and windows cracked a bunch. Volt doesn't have that option, so dog mode would work.

The whole running law while left should not apply to evs. No stupid emissions or noise while sitting there. As someone said, doesn't take much power to keep cool and maybe even less than cooling back down from 120 deg.

I think to get dog mode, you would have to leave a fob locked in the Volt. Not too sure about doing this plus a little afraid of what happened if dog somehow knocks car into drive?

Ultimately, Tesla is way better at this, well thought out with warning on display that dog is fine.

#28 · (Edited)
You can not lock the doors if the Volt is powered on, that is why horn the blows when you exit the car when it is turned, to remind you the car is running. This an oversight imo, because in this situation anyone can get and drive away. Why GM didn't add a few lines of code that lock then shifter in Park when the Fob is not detectable. they lock the shifter if plugged into the charger. When charging you can get in and start system but can't move shifter until you un-plug.

#29 ·
Interesting, on my '19 I don't seem to get the horn chirp when exciting when the car is running. I actually did it this morning- I started the car, then exited and closed the door with it running to clear moisture from the side mirrors. Or, perhaps I didn't get far enough away to trigger the chirps?

2019 Volt LT, Pacific Blue, Power Convenience Package, LT Driver Confidence Package, Comfort Package, nicknamed "Voltemort".

#32 ·
Its kind of a pain (so it's something you wouldn't normally do) but you can lock the Volt with the vehicle running. You need to get out of the running car with the fob. Then you need to snap the cover off the mechanical door lock keyhole right behind the drivers door. There is a little notch under the cover so you can pry it off with the key. The owners manual shows the procedure. Using the mechanical key from the fob lock the door(s). This works but a better workaround would be to find a door handle cover that had the keyhole exposed. BTW--all Volt owners should know where this part is located and know how to remove it without damage. This is how you get into the car if the fob battery dies.

#36 ·
I do it differently.....

Cool the Volt as much as possible......lock doors, walk away, then set the 'Precondition' to 10...or 20 minutes......

This way the Volt is 'off' , the doors are locked, the AC is on.....I make sure to leave it set cold/flow etc, for at least 20 minutes with the dogs in the car.......any longer than 20......probably not safe anyway.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.