GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't bought my Volt yet, which is why I can't answer my own question. Have read a bunch of threads about defeating auto-shutoff using clamps and rubber bands (and even spray paint can tops) on the shifter button. I just want a way to leave my dog in the car for an hour while the wife and I get a bite to eat. Seems like there's no way to do that without leaving the power on. True?

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Yea, the car has to be on. Never heard of a car that would operate the AC without the car running. The energy required is significant. I think the time out for no driver control inputs is about 90 minutes.

There was a story just this week about a guy dying from carbon monoxide poisoning because he forgot to shut off his push to start car parked in the garage. Regulators are likely considering more regulations to make cars even more idiot resistant.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Even with the A/C running you're likely to attract tickets and even broken windows when other people see your dog in the car.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I live in AZ where it is hot in the summer. I also leave my Volt on quite often. Step out of the car, close door, the horn will beep, use the fob to lock car. The Volt will be just fine. I’ve never left my dogs in the car, however. I’d be more concerned about some do-gooders busting out a window to ‘save’ your dog.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
I live in AZ where it is hot in the summer. I also leave my Volt on quite often. Step out of the car, close door, the horn will beep, use the fob to lock car. The Volt will be just fine. I’ve never left my dogs in the car, however. I’d be more concerned about some do-gooders busting out a window to ‘save’ your dog.
Good point. They might not notice that the car is running with the AC on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ha, yeah, I'd have to put up signs. "The dog is fine. AC is on. Don't break my windows, you dolt." Of course, if I did that, someone would then connect the dots, realize the car is on, and steal it. And I just confirmed that my state (CA) is one where it's illegal to idle my car unattended, so add ticketing to theft and vandalism as possible outcomes. Apparently, the law exists to <irony> "help the environment." </irony>

·
Registered
803 Posts
Ha, yeah, I'd have to put up signs. "The dog is fine. AC is on. Don't break my windows, you dolt." Of course, if I did that, someone would then connect the dots, realize the car is on, and steal it. And I just confirmed that my state (CA) is one where it's illegal to idle my car unattended, so add ticketing to theft and vandalism as possible outcomes. Apparently, the law exists to <irony> "help the environment." </irony>
Yeah but in this case, I'm pretty sure idling implies an ICE. A Volt does not idle when in EV mode - heck it barely idles in CS mode :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Even with the A/C running you're likely to attract tickets and even broken windows when other people see your dog in the car.
I saw a dog in a car last year during the hottest days of summer. There was a sign in the window. It read: "The car is on. The AC is on. The dog is cool and listening to Steely Dan." 😋

Perhaps a similar sign?

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
I do this all the time, especially when I'm out shopping in the HOT St Louis summers. Get back to the car and its a chilled 68 degrees. I've seen it use 1 kw in an hour shopping at SAM's. I actually think its more efficient that using the battery to cool the car on the trip to the store, shutting the car off, allowing the cabin temps to climb into the 120 to 130 degree range and then use the battery to re-cool the cabin on the trip home.

But If I left a pet (which I have never done) I would leave a BIG notice someplace conspicuous so folks don't do something rash to your vehicle. But the problem is what happens if the car has an issue and shuts off and folks think everything is OK. I think the Tesla Dog Mode is still an accident waiting to happen. I love my pet too much to gamble their life with a horrible death.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Yea, the car has to be on. Never heard of a car that would operate the AC without the car running. The energy required is significant...
I guess it depends on how you define "on". Using Volt's preconditioning / remote start allows the a/c to run for 10 minutes at a time, but the car is not driveable, so it's not fully on. Tesla's Dog Mode is similar, if you broke in you couldn't drive the car, but the a/c is running (and it doesn't time out at 10 minutes).

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Yeah but in this case, I'm pretty sure idling implies an ICE. A Volt does not idle when in EV mode - heck it barely idles in CS mode :)
While the law was written prior to EVs, I'm reasonably certain it would be applied to EVs.

·
4,877 Posts
With the Volt, just leave your car on and lock it as you leave. Would turn off by itself after more than an hour but if the dog is left in the car that long, that's probably another discussion. ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I saw a dog in a car last year during the hottest days of summer. There was a sign in the window. It read: "The car is on. The AC is on. The dog is cool and listening to Steely Dan." &#55357;&#56843;

Perhaps a similar sign?
Yes! Although Bazinga's reply gives me pause. If the car fails, I have a dead dog on my hands.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
But the problem is what happens if the car has an issue and shuts off and folks think everything is OK. I think the Tesla Dog Mode is still an accident waiting to happen. I love my pet too much to gamble their life with a horrible death.
A wise and deeply sobering thought. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Tesla's Dog Mode is not just for four legged friends. Read a recent thread where the wife left her hubby in the Tesla with Dog Mode activated. The generic message displayed on the Tesla's infotainment screen is "My owner will be back soon ..."

·
Registered
803 Posts
Tesla's Dog Mode is not just for four legged friends. Read a recent thread where the wife left her hubby in the Tesla with Dog Mode activated. The generic message displayed on the Tesla's infotainment screen is "My owner will be back soon ..."
Dog mode is not intended for humans (there is a disclaimer that states as such) and will automatically disable when the battery level drops below 20%. That being said, I have left my older kids in the car with dog mode on as it's safer than leaving the keys with them :)

I have also left dog mode enabled a few times when I needed to run into a store but wanted to keep the car cool so the rear-facing seat area didn't get too hot.

It would probably be a good idea for Tesla to alert you via the app if dog mode disengages for any reason.

·
Registered
133 Posts
They just did an update on "dog mode" for the Tesla that alerts you if the battery is at or near 20%. It will continue to run for 30 additional minutes while waiting for a response from your phone. I use "dog mode" and monitor the temps in the car by leaving the climate section of the app open. It tells you the set temperature, actual temperature and if dog mode is active. Even if you didn't use dog mode, there is a secondary system called cabin overheat protection that doesn't let the car exceed 100 degrees even if you didn't set the dog mode on.

I know people worry about pets in the car, however I prefer to take my dog with me in the Tesla. He enjoys the ride and I enjoy his company. I would rather get a notification about a problem with the climate control system in the car when I am 50 feet away from it than a fire alarm notification from my home (with the dog alone inside) when I am 50 miles away.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
I know people worry about pets in the car, however I prefer to take my dog with me in the Tesla. He enjoys the ride and I enjoy his company. I would rather get a notification about a problem with the climate control system in the car when I am 50 feet away from it than a fire alarm notification from my home (with the dog alone inside) when I am 50 miles away.
Train your dog not to play with matches. ;)

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I just want a way to leave my dog in the car for an hour while the wife and I get a bite to eat.
Either take the dog with you or leave it at home. I have two and they either travel with me or they stay at home, I will NEVER leave them alone in any car, either gas, hybrid, or electric, because I treat my dogs as small children.

Reactions: obermd
1 - 20 of 40 Posts