GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you charge the Volt by plugging into a modified sine wave inverter?

Or would you need a pure sine wave?

·
8,680 Posts
The Volt is picky about power. I doubt it'd like modified sine wave, but I've never heard of anyone trying or considering it. What circumstance would you be in where it'd be desirable to do that?

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Check the DCFusor thread about his off grid solar setup, I am pretty sure he is using a MSW inverter.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Can you charge the Volt by plugging into a modified sine wave inverter?

Or would you need a pure sine wave?
It will work on a pure sinewave inverter. I have charged from my Outback 3.6 KW pure sinewave inverter with no issues. Have never tried a MSW inverter... Would be scared. :)

·
Registered
3,876 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Volt is picky about power. I doubt it'd like modified sine wave, but I've never heard of anyone trying or considering it. What circumstance would you be in where it'd be desirable to do that?
I would like the ability to charge the Volt offgrid, but want to keep the cost of the inverter down as much as possible. I suspect I'll need at least a 2000 W inverter as I don't have a large batery bank and will only be charging when there is full sun and fully charged batteries. That way all the power generated from my 3200 W of panels can go toward charging the Volt (assumes ~70% panel to current at battery terminal efficiency).

·
4,874 Posts
I would think the bigger issue would be whether or not the Volt charger would error out given the grounding structure of an inverter for the third prong of the outlet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would think the bigger issue would be whether or not the Volt charger would error out given the grounding structure of an inverter for the third prong of the outlet.
I did need to tie the N to G on the sine wave inverter to prevent a fault on the EVSE.

·
4,874 Posts
I did need to tie the N to G on the sine wave inverter to prevent a fault on the EVSE.
Ah, okay. :) Did you do that inside your inverter?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts